PDA

View Full Version : Obama Looking into Radical Technologies to Cool the Earth

Dreamweaver
04-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Oh boy! He's going to get us one way or the other.
Obama looks at climate engineering
he president's new science adviser said Wednesday that global warming is so dire, the Obama administration is discussing radical technologies to cool Earth's air. John Holdren told The Associated Press in his first interview since being confirmed last month that the idea of geoengineering the climate is being discussed. One such extreme option includes shooting pollution particles into the upper atmosphere to reflect the sun's rays. Holdren said such an experimental measure would only be used as a last resort.

"It's got to be looked at," he said. "We don't have the luxury of taking any approach off the table."
Holdren outlined several "tipping points" involving global warming that could be fast approaching. Once such milestones are reached, such as complete loss of summer sea ice in the Arctic, it increases chances of "really intolerable consequences," he said.
Twice in a half-hour interview, Holdren compared global warming to being "in a car with bad brakes driving toward a cliff in the fog."
At first, Holdren characterized the potential need to technologically tinker with the climate as just his personal view. However, he went on to say he has raised it in administration discussions.
Holdren, a 65-year-old physicist, is far from alone in taking geoengineering more seriously. The National Academy of Science is making climate tinkering the subject of its first workshop in its new multidiscipline climate challenges program. The British parliament has also discussed the idea.
The American Meteorological Society is crafting a policy statement on geoengineering that says "it is prudent to consider geoengineering's potential, to understand its limits and to avoid rash deployment."
Last week, Princeton scientist Robert Socolow told the National Academy that geoengineering should be an available option in case climate worsens dramatically.
But Holdren noted that shooting particles into the air—making an artificial volcano as one Nobel laureate has suggested—could have grave side effects and would not completely solve all the problems from soaring greenhouse gas emissions. So such actions could not be taken lightly, he said.
Still, "we might get desperate enough to want to use it," he added.
Another geoengineering option he mentioned was the use of so-called artificial trees to suck carbon dioxide—the chief human-caused greenhouse gas—out of the air and store it. At first that seemed prohibitively expensive, but a re-examination of the approach shows it might be less costly, he said.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D97ECHLG1&show_article=1

caonacl
04-08-2009, 05:57 PM
a couple of big volcano eruptions would do it.

caonacl
04-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Super Chimney Summary

The invention suggests employing a super tall chimney to facilitate heat exchange in the atmosphere as a remedy to Global Warming. Calculations show that if we construct a chimney 5 kilometers (3 mile) tall and 1 kilometer (0.7 mile) in diameter, we can expect the following amazing results:

Just 10 chimneys like the one proposed will offset Global Warming.
Each chimney will produce ~330,000 Mega Watts of electricity, which is equivalent to the amount of energy 15 super powerful nuclear stations produce
Each chimney will induce rain generation in surrounding areas and will produce roughly 70 million tons of water precipitation every day, which is equal 4% of Mississippi river flow in New Orleans or about 80 Jordan Rivers.
Each chimney will transform at least 300 square miles of desert into arable land.
Each chimney will trap approximately 1,500,000 tons of CO2 per year in the newly created arable area.
The goal of this website is to explain the idea of utilizing super-chimney technology as a unique way to avert global warming catastrophe at the same time as generating clean energy and irrigation. After looking through the information on this site you will understand how this technology works, and -- in fact -- how simple it is! I suspect you might have questions, concerns, or criticism. In this regard, I urge you not to hesitate to contact me at mike@superchimney.org. I promise to do my best in replying to you in a timely fashion with more detailed explanations and discussion.

Sincerely,
Michael Pesochinsky

Details at link
http://www.superchimney.org/default.html

Mountain Man
04-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Just how would a hollow tube accomplish such a magical transformation? Would heat be employed,A hole in the base to circulate the air?? Doesn't sound like a reasonable plan to this Arkie.
MM

caonacl
04-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Just how would a hollow tube accomplish such a magical transformation? Would heat be employed,A hole in the base to circulate the air?? Doesn't sound like a reasonable plan to this Arkie.
MM
The details are at the link...but if it could be built, it would effectively produce an artifical atmospheric low pressure cell. I think the inventor should consider building a long tunnel up the side of a mountain (I don't know why the chimney has to be vertical). This way, the structure can be supported through-out it's elevation.

Ross
04-09-2009, 06:44 AM
I love the logic.

Pollution produces reflective particles in the atmosphere .

You and industry are being taxed to stop that pollution .

Now you can now have the pleasure of paying taxes to
create artificial pollution to replace the pollution you have
paid to stop.

I imagine the next stage will be penalties for not creating
enough of the correct pollution . Get ready to feel guilty
about your evil failure to produce the right kind of pollution.