PDA

View Full Version : Pee in the shower to save rainforest

Potemkin
08-05-2009, 09:42 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/2722334/Pee-in-the-shower-to-save-rainforest

Pee in the shower to save rainforest
Last updated 10:42 05/08/2009

New TV ads are encouraging Brazilians to save water by urinating in the shower.

Brazilian environmental group SOS Mata Atlantica says the campaign, running on several television stations, uses humor to persuade people to reduce flushes.

The group says if a household avoids one flush a day, it can save up to 4,380 liters (1,157 gallons) of water annually.

SOS spokeswoman Adriana Kfouri said Tuesday that the ad is "a way to be playful about a serious subject."

The spot features cartoon drawings of people from all walks of life - a trapeze artist, a basketball player, even an alien urinating in the shower.

Narrated by children's voices, the ad ends with: "Pee in the shower! Save the Atlantic rainforest!"

Fartacus
08-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Does pooping in the shower have the same effect?

SarahS
08-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Peeing on your feet is good for foot fungus, too... kill two birds with one stone!

Potemkin
08-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Does pooping in the shower have the same effect?

As long as you have one of those removable shower heads with pounding "pulse" action. :p

Renegade
08-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Peeing on your feet is good for foot fungus, too... kill two birds with one stone!

Down here we have a plant that most locals call a "7 day itch weed". Looks a lot like a tropical soda apple. If it touches your bare skin, you'll think it's been 7 days before it finally quits itching. Will make you scratch the skin off and calamine lotion won't help at all.

You can piss on it and it'll quit itching, go figure.

Sysiphus
08-05-2009, 01:49 PM
You can piss on it and it'll quit itching, go figure.

I suspect vinegar would work equally well.

Mama Alanna
08-05-2009, 03:37 PM
How much water would be saved if people worldwide took SHORT showers? As in "Turn the water on, get wet, turn it off. Soap/shampoo. Turn the water on long enough to rinse off." DH can run through a full tank of hot water if he isn't careful. He says that he needs it to wake up in the morning. And he used to bitch at ME about having a bath instead of a shower!

Potemkin
08-05-2009, 05:03 PM
How much water would be saved if people worldwide took SHORT showers? As in "Turn the water on, get wet, turn it off. Soap/shampoo. Turn the water on long enough to rinse off."

Except for that blast of hot/cold water that hits you when you turn the shower back on.

If it is hot, it activates the anti-scald feature in some heads which mean you have to turn it on full cold, what a minute or so, them freeze your **** off.

Mountain Man
08-05-2009, 05:18 PM
When one lives on the mountain with limited well water there is a mantra...if it's yellow,let it mellow,if it's brown,flush it down. We live by it here.Sometimes we flush once or twice a day. Since we now have 3000 gallons of rainwater stored,we could flush more often;but old habits die hard.
When we occasionally stay in a motel with high water pressure and full flow showers,we are shocked at how much water could be wasted.
MM

Sarrah
08-06-2009, 01:38 AM
I hear you MM. It has been a long time since I was in a motel or hotel but the water pressure in there about tears the skin off after you are use to the soft gentle water on our system.

I was thinking about hot water today. I know in our home we use hot water for bath or shower and I use it each evening for dishes. Other than that we use cold.

If we don't use much dishes like this past week. I am doing three days of dishes tonight. Hardly a sink full really. A couple of bowls and saucers. We hand rinsed with cold our cups each time we used them. But there could be a really big savings to families if they would only use hot water when needed.

I think lots of times folks turn on the hot water for simple hand washing when cold would do. They also run the water to wash hands. It is just an automatic thing and I don't think it has occurred to them to use cold.

Also, with the old hand basin, or a sink. A person puts some water and washes dumps it out and has a bit of a rinse dumps it out. Not much water is needed. Not much soap either or you can't rinse it off easily.

Gram always use to pour her left over dishwater on her rose bush. Kept the aphids off and kept it watered.

Fiddlerdave
08-07-2009, 02:00 AM
Peeing in the shower is very effective for athlete's foot, and has worked for me very well. It doesn't even necessarily take hitting your feet, just hitting the floor and letting the shower rinse it away seems to do a good job. Until I discovered that, I seemed to get fungus infections on and off every year or so from public facilites, or house visitors like sports-playing teenagers. My feet sweat a bit and the socks and shoes get damp.

Some armies of the past, such as in Marco Polo's time, peed on their feet to avoid fungus and infections. After a long march, that was the first thing to do once your boots were off.

A house in Denver had the clothes washer drain water go to some enormous Blue Spruce pines, keeping those trees beautiful in their very hot and arid southern exposure. The city inspection at the purchase made me pipe it into the sewer drain (the people had lived there 50 years).

PatS
08-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Okay, this may offend some out there, and I'm sorry. But doesn't EVERYONE pee in the shower? (Maybe that's why I never have had athlete's foot...)

Fiddlerdave
08-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Okay, this may offend some out there, and I'm sorry. But doesn't EVERYONE pee in the shower? (Maybe that's why I never have had athlete's foot...)I never thought of it as a big deal, but a number of people FREAK OUT. I tend to think of it as a city person sensitivity, because when you go in almost any rural animal pen, pee is a significant portion of the environment and you get used to it.

I had a the neighbor who wouldn't grow any vegetables in her yard because "dogs and squirrels pee on everything".

Sysiphus
08-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Just don't do it in my gym.

SSG Rex
08-07-2009, 07:02 PM
I had a the neighbor who wouldn't grow any vegetables in her yard because "dogs and squirrels pee on everything".

My dad used to say "don't drink that water, fish (make whoopee*) in there!"

*appropriate expletive

Oric
08-11-2009, 04:26 AM
Isn't pee acidic and hygenic (except for a few diseases)

Fiddlerdave
08-12-2009, 06:02 AM
Urine can carry bacteria. Not sure how serious a threat.

A cute story on the use of a fake "urinal fly" as a method to get men to aim into a urinal. Apparently, men cannot resist the target practice hitting a fly suck on the lower rear of a urinal, and it makes them much more diligent in their aiming.

http://clouddragon.wordpress.com/2009/06/19/men-pissing-and-hygiene/

Potemkin
08-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Urine can carry bacteria. Not sure how serious a threat.

A cute story on the use of a fake "urinal fly" as a method to get men to aim into a urinal. Apparently, men cannot resist the target practice hitting a fly suck on the lower rear of a urinal, and it makes them much more diligent in their aiming.

http://www.urinalfly.com/
http://www.urinalfly.com/graphics/flyclose.jpg

http://www.urinalfly.com/graphics/urinal.jpg

rootdiggr
08-14-2009, 08:16 PM
A guy I knew always said "He's so dumb he gets out of the shower to piss!".

That being said, at my age, once the water hits, I go whether I want to or not. Sigh.

Fiddlerdave
08-15-2009, 05:07 AM
Thanks for posting the pics, Potemkin.

I often am doing support while posting and trying to get the graphics etc. is just too much when my customers insist on interrupting me.

Oric
08-15-2009, 04:14 PM
shower in urinal

Potemkin
08-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks for posting the pics, Potemkin.

I often am doing support while posting and trying to get the graphics etc. is just too much when my customers insist on interrupting me.

Da nada.

Co-workers come up frequently and ask me questions while I am posting.

Bother me while I am posting or chatting.

:lol: