PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Watch

Oric
08-25-2008, 12:02 AM
I think this was what the previous thread was about. The arctic "watch " :confused1:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/03/29/europe/web0329-watch.php

COPENHAGEN: A wristwatch buried in the ice at the North Pole three years ago was found by a boy more than 1,800 miles away after it floated ashore on the Faroe Islands.

Niels Jakup Mortensen, 11, spotted a black box near his home on Suduroy, the southernmost Faroe island, his mother Anna Jacobsen said. Inside, she said, was a watch that had been buried at the North Pole by Joergen Amundsen, a descendant of Norwegian polar explorer Ronald Amundsen.

Jacobsen said the watch discovered by her son this month was still working, and was accompanied by a letter from Joergen Amundsen. "It was so unbelievable," she said. "It had been buried in the North Pole."

Joergen Amundsen produced 250 copies of a wristwatch he designed to withstand extreme conditions in the Arctic, and buried one of them in memory of his ancestor.

Amundsen could not immediately be reached for comment but was quoted by the Faroese daily paper Sosialurin as saying the boy could keep the watch. The remaining 249 watches have been put up for sale at an average price of 70,000 kroner, or about $12,500.

Hjalmar Hatun, an oceanographer with the Faroese Fisheries Laboratory, said the watch likely drifted south with one of the chunks of ice that frequently break away at the North Pole and are carried off by ocean currents.

The Faeroes, an 18-island Danish territory, are located halfway between Scotland and Iceland.

Hatun said the ice breaking off is not related to global warming, as the phenomenon was first observed more than 100 years ago. "So in that sense, the fact that objects from the North Pole can drift south is old news," he said.

Torange
08-25-2008, 06:43 PM
http://www.seablogger.com/

Posted at 11:09 AM | Comments (2) |
Quote of the Day
Monday, 25 Aug 08, climate

“Over historical, archaeological and geological time, there have been thousands of global coolings and global warmings. Global coolings have always depopulated the Earth. We are the first humans ever to fear a warm climate.”

— Ian Plimer

Prudens
08-27-2008, 10:47 PM
It seem's disinformation has reach CE.

Arubi, I am sre you are aware of the .7 C drop of temperatue in 2007 and the temperature of this year more radical.

I have contact in Nunavuk regions, whay up North, Indeed Icegerg are melting but Los of Snow, Much Winter Snow in so many countries, cold Summers in even more.

Nay, we are not heading to a global rise of temperature, we are cooling down at alarming rate, the Boreal Rise of teperature is indeed an effet of all this global temp.

If 2008 temperature raise goes above 1 celsius, we should all consider going to tropical land....unless tech knows how to raise temps in the northern atmodphere.

The Fire, the HEat is critical survalal in horther HEmisphere far Souther HEmispher.

BEWARE MY FRIENDS AND CHECK THE DATAS.

P.

Arubi
08-28-2008, 12:30 AM

Arubi, I am sre you are aware of the .7 C drop of temperatue in 2007 and the temperature of this year more radical.
I have contact in Nunavuk regions, whay up North, Indeed Icegerg are melting but Los of Snow, Much Winter Snow in so many countries, cold Summers in even more.

Nay, we are not heading to a global rise of temperature, we are cooling down at alarming rate, the Boreal Rise of teperature is indeed an effet of all this global temp.

If 2008 temperature raise goes above 1 celsius, we should all consider going to tropical land....unless tech knows how to raise temps in the northern atmodphere.

The Fire, the HEat is critical survalal in horther HEmisphere far Souther HEmispher.

P.

P. any particular reason you addressed me?:confused1:

cpeterka
08-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Prudens...

Is it your keyboard that needs repair, or is there a problem between the chair and the keyboard that causes the typo's and diction problem?

:confused1:

hillsidedigger
08-28-2008, 09:29 AM
I have it on good authority that the Arctic ice will reverse its current trend and commence expanding by late September.

The crisis is nearly over. Yeh, right? :)-

Coyote
08-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Is it your keyboard that needs repair, or is there a problem between the chair and the keyboard that causes the typo's and diction problem?

lol... I've been wondering the same thing...

Prudens
08-28-2008, 04:14 PM
lol.

The keyboard was bad indeed, now its all clean, as for what is behind the keyboard, well latin calligraphy is foreign to me, sorry.

I will now ask my son, because when he read my ost, he just laft like a crazy.

Give me few years I will be ok.

lol

Fiddlerdave
08-28-2008, 05:51 PM

P.Someone should let the Arctic ice cover know it should be solidifying, not melting.