PDA

View Full Version : Deep freeze continues in Germany

Mousehound
01-09-2009, 07:40 AM
http://www.thelocal.de/articleImages/16585.jpg

Published: 7 Jan 09 08:59 CET

Icy polar air has brought new record low temperatures to Germany for the second straight day. The town of Dippoldiswalde in the eastern state of Saxony registered a frigid -27.7 degrees Celsius (-17.86 degrees Fahrenheit) on Wednesday morning, weather service Meteomedia reported.

The chilly temperature beats Tuesday’s Delitzsch record of -26 degrees Celsius (-14.8 degrees Fahrenheit) to make it the coldest day this winter.

The towns of Altenburg and Sohland were close behind, reporting temperatures of -27.5 degrees Celsius – a low that hasn’t been seen there in some 22 years.

Meanwhile school was cancelled for childrenn in the Lüchow-Dannenberg county in the state of Lower Saxony becuase streets were so icy that busses were unable to operate. The bitter cold temperatures are expected to rise by three to four degrees in northern Germany on Wednesday morning progresses due to cloud cover.

But northern and central Germany can expect light snowfall followed by some sunshine. Southern Germany will likely be dry and partly sunny with some fog expected.

Full article here:
http://www.thelocal.de/politics/20090107-16585.html

rb.
01-09-2009, 08:06 AM
No wonder so many Germans come to Canada! Stay warm, Mousehound. It's a balmy -18C here right now.

Mousehound
01-09-2009, 08:41 AM
I live in the north, and am closer to the sea. We don't get quite as cold as the east or south of Germany. The temps dropped to -15°C a few nights ago, and during winter it will drop down to -30°C or so at night sometimes when we get a cold front from the north-east. Today is +1°C.

rb.
01-09-2009, 08:50 AM
+1? I can dream. :lol:

Mousehound
01-09-2009, 09:09 AM
This is an old newspaper clipping from our local paper roughly translated by me.

Cold Is Relative

You think it is cold today? It all depends on your perspective:

0°C Distilled water freezes, and itailien cars will not start.

-1°C You can see your breath. Lapplanders are eating ice cream and drinking cold beer.

-10°C Time to plan that vacation to Africa. Lapplanders go swimming.

-15°C French cars will not start.

-26°C German cars will no longer start.

-28°C From clouds of frozen breath, you can cut blocks for igloos.

-35°C Swedish cars go on strike. The Lapplander cusses, kicks the tire, and starts his Lada.

-39°C Mercury freezes. The Lapplander closes his top shirt button.

-40°C It's too cold to kiss without the lips freezing together. Lappland's soccer teams begins with the training for the spring season.

-50°C The car wants park in your bed. Lapplanders put on a sweater.

-60°C The sea lions leave Greenland. Lapplanders exchange their gloves for mittens.

-75°C Santa abandons the polar circle. Lapplanders fold down their ear flaps on hats.

-114°C Alcohol freezes. Lapplanders are angry.

-273.15°C All atoms stand still. Lapplanders admit: "Yes, it is cool, give me another shot to drink..."

rb.
01-09-2009, 09:12 AM
-40°C It's too cold to kiss without the lips freezing together. Canadian soccer teams begins with the training for the spring season.

-114°C Alcohol freezes. Canadians are angry.

:thumbup:

:lol:

Auburn Boy
01-09-2009, 09:25 AM
:rofl:

:funnypost:

I'll have a shot of that Bose-Einstein Condensate and a slice of lime please!!!

Mousehound
01-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Woolly hats banned for Hamburg police

Hamburg's police chief has banned his officers from wearing woolly hats, even when out on patrol in sub-zero temperatures – because it does not go with their uniforms.

A row has blown up over the ruling from Werner Jantosch, limiting officers to wearing their peaked caps, even though these do not cover their ears.

He has even taken to checking newspaper photos of officers at accidents or other incidents to see who is sneaking a warm woolly over their ears while on duty, according to the Hamburger Morgenpost.

A newspaper photograph of an officer who was wearing a woolly hat while attending an accident in the Eppendorf area of the city led to a ticking off for the officer, the paper reports.

A spokesman for the police said no disciplinary measures would be taken against woolly hat rebels, but the police union is furious that the 5,000 officers have to break the rules to keep their ears warm.

Joachim Lenders, head of the German Police Union told the paper, “The position of the police chief is not only embarrassing – the health of his officers must take priority.

“But perhaps sitting at his desk in his well-heated police headquarters, he cannot imagine that in temperatures like we have now, it is freezing when one is several hours on foot in the streets.”

Jantosch would only say, “This has been decided. We do not want knitted hats.”

Full article here:
http://www.thelocal.de/national/20090110-16673.html

Susie
01-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Can police carry out their duties with freezing ears, without losing moral?

Warm and exceptionally sunny down here. The puddles are still frozen, but spirits are high with the bright sunshine.

rb.
01-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Our deep freeze, typical in January, is about to arrive. Tuesday we start with temps at -30C (-22F) at night, and highs of only about -20C (-4F) during the day. I'm really starting to hate winter, and rooting for global warming. Like NOW.

Mousehound
01-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Cold kills five penguins at Nuremberg zoo

Five penguins – normally thought to love chilly temperatures – have died due to exposure to extreme cold at the Nuremberg zoo.

Deputy zoo director Helmut Mägdefrau on Thursday said the birds couldn't cope with the deep freeze that has gripped much of Germany for the past few weeks.

He said Humboldt and Jackass penguins – indigenous to South America and South Africa – perished after the cold weakened their immune systems, which made them susceptible to illness.

"Both types of penguins can handle zero degrees, but twelve degrees below zero is problematic for them," Mägdefrau said.

The zoo's surviving 40 penguins have been moved indoors, where they can huddle next to heat lamps.

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20090115-16797.html

dyrt
01-17-2009, 10:36 AM
"Both types of penguins can handle zero degrees, but twelve degrees below zero is problematic for them," Mägdefrau saidSo why did the dumbasses leave them outside? Did they look up their temp tolerance after they died?

Pablo Escobar
01-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Did the gas ever get turned back on by the russians?

Mousehound
01-17-2009, 12:16 PM
So why did the dumbasses leave them outside? Did they look up their temp tolerance after they died?

Learning by doing?:confused1:

Mousehound
01-17-2009, 12:24 PM

Not yet, but Germany still has gas reserves. I don't know about other countries though.

Sarrah
01-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Russia turning of the gas to the poor European countries in winter is becoming a habit and should definitely be stopped by that great group the United Nations.

But I am wanting to talk weather not politics. We have been having on the ground ice fog here for 3 days and we look like those photos Mousebound posted except we have no snow.

Everything is covered in frost. Today the fog has lifted a bit from the ground so we can see further but it hovers over our heads and blocks the sun. It is cold for us at 27F or -3.333C. Which is nothing compared to your cold temps but it is to us here.

I almost shouldn't mention it but it is so rare for us. There is no wind at all it is all perfectly still. It seems like the world is made of frosted glass and if we move too fast it will all shatter. I think the Valley has been out of power but I can't tell for sure because of the fog. We aren't going out to ask anyone it is too cold.

Auburn Boy
01-17-2009, 02:44 PM

A meeting to hammer out an agreement on re-establishing the gas supply fell apart at weeks end..,

http://www.mercurynews.com/nationworld/ci_11478627

No supply deal at Kremlin gas conference

By STEVE GUTTERMAN Associated Press Writer
Posted: 01/17/2009 02:19:47 AM PST

MOSCOW—A Kremlin conference on the gas crisis gripping Europe failed on Saturday to produce an agreement to restore supplies of Russian natural gas via Ukraine.
After meeting with European and Ukrainian officials, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said Prime Minister Vladimir Putin and his Ukrainian counterpart would continue bilateral talks late Saturday in an effort to end the dispute that has blocked shipments across Ukraine. He said he hoped that gas will begin flowing again within days.
<snip>

Auburn Boy
01-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Russia turning of the gas to the poor European countries in winter is becoming a habit and should definitely be stopped by that great group the United Nations.

But I am wanting to talk weather not politics. We have been having on the ground ice fog here for 3 days and we look like those photos Mousebound posted except we have no snow.

Everything is covered in frost. Today the fog has lifted a bit from the ground so we can see further but it hovers over our heads and blocks the sun. It is cold for us at 27F or -3.333C. Which is nothing compared to your cold temps but it is to us here.

I almost shouldn't mention it but it is so rare for us. There is no wind at all it is all perfectly still. It seems like the world is made of frosted glass and if we move too fast it will all shatter. I think the Valley has been out of power but I can't tell for sure because of the fog. We aren't going out to ask anyone it is too cold.

Weather?

The weather here is fine. California is counterbalancing the frigid temperatures in the midwest and the east brought on by the Alberta Clipper.

We are pulling our share in deterring an immanent ice age!!

It's 75 degrees C here and it should be in the 40s this time of year.

We, had a high pressure ridge sitting off the coast for going on two weeks. This is keeping the jet stream pushed far north. (El Nino??) Drought?

gsgs
01-17-2009, 05:09 PM
warmer here since a few days. But who cares about Germany anyway.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/Europe.htm