View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

My daughter spent a winter driving to Portland, OR and back. My worst nightmare was her sliding off the road and not being found for a few days. This is what I packed in her car everytime she left.

Polypro long underwear, wool sweater, fleece pants, wool socks, snow boots, fleece gloves and snowboarding mittens, insulated watchcap, warm scarf

candy bars, granola bars, beef jerky, nuts, juice and water

flares for starting a fire or signalling, lightsticks, 2 flashlights, a small LED lantern and extra batteries. A few presto log type things

sleeping bag, wool army blanket, pillow, a bright red fleece sleeping bag liner that in a pinch, could be heaved up onto the road to maybe catch someones eye

roll of hot pink flagging tape, tie onto antenna if she was stuck in a snowbank by the side of the road in a blizzard to show people there was something there.

I'm sure there was more but I can't remember it. Her boyfriend in Portland used to make so much fun of her.

If the kids go on trips in the summer I load them up too. Some years ago a woman went off the road in the middle of summer and was in such a place she couldn't get out of the car. IIRC she wasn't found for over a week and almost died of kidney failure because she didn't have water with her and couldn't get out of the car.

eta: a couple rolls of toilet paper and a book. Something to read for those long hauls stuck in the car over an embankment.
a roll of paper towels and some plastic grocery bags for a 'potty' if necessary

Last edited by drummagick; 12-22-2011 at 09:27 PM.
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote