Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News > Outside the Box

Outside the Box Not necessarily the news, anything oddball fits in here.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
Catbird
Senior Level 4

Thanked 1,147 Times in 628 Posts
Default 2010 edition of Encyclopedia Britannica is the last printed version

"Encyclopedia Britannica to stop printing books"

"After 244 years, Encyclopedia Britannica will cease production of its iconic multi-volume book sets.

Britannica usually prints a new set of the tomes every two years, but 2010's 32-volume set will be its last. Instead, the company will focus solely on its digital encyclopedia and education tools."
Old 03-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Twoolf
Searcher for Truth and a good Carpachio

Another victim falls to the net. I used to spend hours with it as a kid, especially when I was grounded. We didn't have a TV yet.

“The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
~1797 - John Adams

"Our Gods are dead. Klingon warriors slew them eons ago. They were more trouble than they were worth".... Worf
Twoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoolf View Post
Another victim falls to the net. I used to spend hours with it as a kid, especially when I was grounded. We didn't have a TV yet.
+1

I bet there will be enough demand for printed volumes that they reissue them; but at a grossly inflated price.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,506 Posts
Yeah - I still like to 'fondle' old encyclopedias & other written material. Somehow, the idea of taking a laptop into bed for reading doesn't do it for me but I may simply be showing my age - not to mention lack of laptop, Kindle or similar devices.

You know - it's going to become important to hang on to good examples of interesting written material of this type to pass on to future generations.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Catbird
Senior Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
Yeah - I still like to 'fondle' old encyclopedias & other written material. Somehow, the idea of taking a laptop into bed for reading doesn't do it for me but I may simply be showing my age - not to mention lack of laptop, Kindle or similar devices.

You know - it's going to become important to hang on to good examples of interesting written material of this type to pass on to future generations.
I understand the economics behind the decision but I sure wish it didn't have to happen. As a kid, I could happily spend hours reading the encyclopedia and get transported to all kinds of different times and places. It's yet another experience that kids now won't get to have and that's a shame.

I have a large, 2 volume dictionary set that was published in 1907. My grandfather's parents bought it when he was in school so that he could study better. It's fascinating reading. I'm glad to say that my son has already made it clear to me that I'd better take good care of it because he expects to inherit it.
proteus (03-14-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
dharma
balrog

You're lucky to have a son like that. I'm the only "reader" in my family. I have hundreds of books, and I know perfectly well what will happen to them when I die. My five-year-old nephews already have their own iPhones (just to play games), and my two year old niece plays with an iPad while she eats.

Valuable heirlooms are one thing; heavy, dusty paper artifacts that take up space and nobody wants to read (or move) are another.
dharma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
Catbird
Senior Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharma View Post
You're lucky to have a son like that. I'm the only "reader" in my family. I have hundreds of books, and I know perfectly well what will happen to them when I die. My five-year-old nephews already have their own iPhones (just to play games), and my two year old niece plays with an iPad while she eats.

Valuable heirlooms are one thing; heavy, dusty paper artifacts that take up space and nobody wants to read (or move) are another.
Thanks.

I am fortunate indeed that my only child absorbed my love of books and reading. I'm also lucky that I have a pretty good collection of other books from the late 19th and early 20th century. There are a few novels, some are school books, and others are "parlor books", the 19th century version of coffee table books. I enjoy them all, except when I have to dust them.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

I loved reading and re-reading the encyclopedia we have. My boys used it a few times. I am hoping my DGK's get to use it.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,055 Posts
If so I really want to refresh mine from the 1980s. Grocery store model if you can believe that. I must be the only one with a completed set.

But $1400' wow.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
kaneohegirl
Transplanted Cali/Hawaii girl...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potemkin View Post
If so I really want to refresh mine from the 1980s. Grocery store model if you can believe that. I must be the only one with a completed set.

But $1400' wow.
exactly... I would SO love to have a set... so much interesting info there
Old 03-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
Catbird
Senior Level 4

I've seen sets at Goodwill stores. I don't recall the prices but I know they were nowhere near $1400.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
AndreaCA
one of those hopelessly disorganized people

Pote - hit a few estate sales. I see encyclopedia sets often.

Personally, I think it's fine. I've got walls full of books in my house, to the point of my husband forbidding me to bring in another book unless I get rid of one first! But now, I've found the Kindle and I'm in love! Thousands and thousands of books at my fingertips at all times but only one item to dust! You've got to love it!

I'm sold. The digital version is much easier to lug about and it's just as easy to get lost in as the hard copy version.
AndreaCA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, britannica, edition, encyclopedia, printed, version