Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Medical News

Medical News News, information and discussions about health issues, medicine and biotechnology.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,023 Times in 613 Posts
Default A woman's nose knows body odor

It may be wise to trust the female nose when it comes to body odor. According to new research from the Monell Center, it is more difficult to mask underarm odor when women are doing the smelling.

"It is quite difficult to block a woman's awareness of body odor. In contrast, it seems rather easy to do so in men," said study lead author Charles J. Wysocki, PhD, a behavioral neuroscientist at Monell.

The researchers speculate that females are more attuned to biologically relevant information in sweat that may guide women when choosing a mate.

In the study, women and men rated the strength of underarm odors, both alone and in conjunction with various fragrances.

When fragrance was introduced, only two of 32 scents successfully blocked underarm odor when women were doing the smelling; in contrast, 19 fragrances significantly reduced the strength of underarm odor for men.

Wysocki noted that in earlier studies, men and women did not differ in their ability to cross-adapt to odors not from the body.

"Taken together, our studies indicate that human sweat conveys information that is of particular importance to females. This may explain why it is so difficult to block women's perception of sweat odors," he said.

Not only were women better smellers the men, but male odors were harder to block than female odors. Even though underarm odors from the two sexes didn't differ in how strong they smelled, only 19 percent of the fragrances successfully reduced the strength of male underarm odor; in contrast, over 50 percent decreased intensity of female underarm odor.

Full article here:
http://www.physorg.com/news158303679.html

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
grannyclampett
Member Level 1

Heh....I have a 14 year old son....the smells that live in my house since he hit puberty defy description...
grannyclampett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 1,487 Times in 830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclampett View Post
Heh....I have a 14 year old son....the smells that live in my house since he hit puberty defy description...
I know this feeling.........he's married now and I don't have to deal with it.............

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
Mokuyi
2nd Generation

Try being the sister of DB. At a show, and the Stage Manager comes up, and politely informs me that he needs to take a shower.. and use deodorant. With a viciousness.

I live with three boys... they shower regularly, because they don't like smelling of coffee.
There is no silver bullet and frankly you probably don’t need one. It is far more important to be able to find the right kind of gun, be able to load the gun … and perhaps most importantly, be able to figure out where the werewolf is.
Matthew Oliphant, Useability Works, 03-22-2006

I can't say as ever I was lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.
—Daniel Boone
Mokuyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:31 AM   #5
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 1,487 Times in 830 Posts
Hmmmmm as the mother of Mokuyi's DB I have to wonder about that kid...........

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:35 AM   #6
snake_bites

I don't really mind the smell of coffee, in fact i usually don't mind smelling like coffee, its cheaper than cologne.

As for the rest of the smells that come from living with guys... ladies i apologize... we just haven't developed the sophisticated sense of smell that you have. There is a good chance that when you think we stink, we think we have another day or two before we NEED to shower. feel free to tell us we stink.
snake_bites is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body, nose, odor, woman