Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Economy

Economy Economy discussion forum. Discuss the politics and effects of the general economy and global economic collapse here. Please keep all politics out of the Finance and Investment subforum.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,745 Times in 1,060 Posts
Default He's waiting on the perfect job

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/236511

He's waiting on the perfect job
Roadside job hunter remains optimistic
Intelligencer Journal
Published: Apr 20, 2009
01:00 EST
Lititz Pike and Oregon Pike

By CIVIA KATZ, Correspondent

1 of 1

While Joseph Sabol isn't pleased with his status as an unemployed college graduate, it appears he isn't willing to jump at just any job opportunity.

Last week, Sabol began showing up at Oregon and Lititz pikes wearing a sign that reads "College grad looking for employment" on the front and "Free resume, 724-840-9057, please call me" on the back.

The 27-year-old Manheim Township resident said he would return to the intersection every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday in eight-hour shifts beginning at 8:30 a.m. until he finds work.

Sabol has landed a lot of publicity and 17 offers for interviews since he began his roadside campaign. And while it remains to be seen if any of those offers ultimately lead to a job, on Friday he did indicate the type of job he hopes to land.

Sabol said he would continue his outdoor job hunt until he finds the "perfect" job.

How serious is Sabol about finding the perfect job?

James Wenger, owner of Lancaster Nissan, said he called Sabol on Tuesday and asked him to come in for an interview. Wenger said he offered Sabol an interview for a sales position that within five years could earn as much as $100,000 annually with benefits.

Sabol turned Wenger down.

"For him to not even want to come out and do an interview was really disgusting," Wenger said. "We're supposed to feel sorry for you. Sometimes you don't get what you want and have to make sacrifices.

"So if he can't have the ideal job, ideal hours, ideal pay, then he'll just sit around and be a victim?"

Sabol said his dream job is marketing assistant for the Pittsburgh Steelers, but he is looking to use his degree to go into any sports team marketing, and he is willing to relocate.

"I want my job to be the perfect fit for me," Sabol said. "I'm not going to just accept anything. I want a job to fit my career goals and dreams."

Wenger said jobs are out there. He said he has been trying to fill the sales position Sabol was asked to interview for for two months and now must advertise it on the radio.

"It can provide a good income for people, more so than unemployment," Wenger said. "It's really frustrating trying to hire people right now."
Related Topics

Wenger said he thought Sabol showed qualities for a sales position.

"It's kind of gutsy to think outside the box," Wenger said.

Sabol said he wants to utilize his bachelor of science degree in physical education and sport. He said his experience is in marketing, advertising, community relations and communications.

He said he has gone on a couple of interviews and is busy setting up some more.

Sabol said he has set no end date to his highway endeavors but will continue as long as it takes. He also said he may move his job-seeking location to the Park City Center area.

He added that he would consider any job offer outside of his area of interest on a case-by-case basis.

Sabol said he has the support of his wife and mother, who originally gave him the idea to take his plea to the streets. He said his mother is very proud of him and is hoping for the best.

His said his wife, Shani, finds it amusing to see pictures of him on the street corner.

"I will be at this as long as it takes. I want to start my career and fulfill my career endeavors," Sabol said. "I'm extremely optimistic.

"I just have to keep working hard, and good things will happen."

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

This guy reminds me of the business grads that come out of school and expect to jump into the CEO's job, or land a VP job.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Fiddlerdave
Not Active

Why not be picky? 17 job offers and an ability of figuring ways to get more? He is in sales and marketing, and he is kicking some ass in that area with his campaign. Recent graduate or not, he indeed thinks "outside the box" and gets results.

It is funny how Americans seem to be able to justify ANY level of pay for the upper crust, but a lower level guy using his head should be happy to take any flaky sales position offered (and so many of those jobs are all BS) that allows him to "make more than unemployment".
Fiddlerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
rc
Senior Level 2

Quote:
but a lower level guy using his head should be happy to take any flaky sales position offered
Ironically, he probably has cause to be skeptical about many offers he receives. If someone offers him a job just because he's out standing on the corner, there's immediately some reason to be suspicious.

Having said that, there's nothing inherently dishonorable about being a used car salesman. It seems to me he should have at least gone for the interview.
rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Kassy
Eurothrash

Well yes he's doing some good self marketing but walking around with billboards isn't exactly resume dream stuff.

(And on second skim...it was mommy's idea all along)

Quote:
"I want my job to be the perfect fit for me," Sabol said. "I'm not going to just accept anything. I want a job to fit my career goals and dreams."
If you go higher up in the jobmarket they'll also look for the perfect fit but how do you show you're good? How do you know what job is the perfect fit? He has it narrowed down pretty well and maybe he'll land one that's in his range of choices soon. Maybe marketing sport socks is good enough?

Can't really interpret it much without his actual track record (when did he graduate, what jobs did he hold) so i just wish him good luck.

Quote:
Wenger said jobs are out there. He said he has been trying to fill the sales position Sabol was asked to interview for for two months and now must advertise it on the radio.
Free publicity probably took care of that...

Tags
job, perfect, waiting