Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Discussion

Flu Discussion This subroom is intended for "soft discussion" of flu-related topics. This includes general chat, joke threads, scenarios, discussions of personal feelings, etc.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:45 AM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,606 Times in 2,015 Posts
Default I'll be away & snooping today...

SO has day surgery today at our city's primary hospital. They called VERY late yesterday - past 1930 & apologized for the call being so late. The reason? "We've had a crazy day at the hospital today." I'm hoping to find out exactly what that means today. eaving in half an hour, doubt I'll be back until midafternoon, then I'll have to race out to get an Rx & a few other things.

Flu was very visible around here yesterday. I ended up working from 0800 until almost 1700 - both supers are still quite ill & the stress of so much to do before November 9th is taking its toll. I mainly worked in the complex's other building & it seems every time I walked down any of the 3 halls, I could hear coughing. A few people could be seen staggering around. Tenants I spoke to were caring for sick family members, concerned about others starting to get sick OR racing off to do unanticipated work shifts - this is beginning to take its toll on the work force locally.

We, (stupidly), took a walk after supper & hit 3 stores. You won't believe the number of idiots staggering around sick doing completely useless shopping! Having said that, both drug stores we went by were jumping. The Rx counters were jammed & the cold/flu remedy sections had stuff flying off the shelves. The grocery store had more than the usual amounts of convenience foods, soups, ice cream, etc. in peoples' carts & baskets. I expect when I race back there later today, it will be worse.

FWIW, other than the one local death, I've not HEARD of anyone desperately ill in town & public health keeps assuring us that 'most cases' are mild & self limiting. I'm beginning to hear of more secondaries though - pneumonia & strep, finally. Public Health tells us that even though we've seen a fair bit of this with school aged children, they expect that cohort to be hit even harder... lovely.

I glanced at headlines a short while ago - nothing remarkable save for the fact that vax supplies are gonna run short for a while - inexcusable considering the amount of money we put into GSK. The couple of vax clinics held here so far have been jammed. The high risk groups who SHOULD be getting it as well as a ton of school kids are lining up for it. The news clips look dramatic but we've only vaxed about 6k people so far. Most adults I'm speaking with still have no interest in the vax. I'm wondering if we won't run out completely though, by tomorrow?

I don't know what my time will be like the next few days. Not sure what shape SO will be in when we get home & I'm booked for work again tomorrow. What I'm SCHEDULED for wasn't supposed to be too hairy but now it seems the apartment vacating today has mould issues so is going to need a complete going over. between that & SO... I'll be around but possibly rarely. I'll do my best.

In terms of a second wave, keep in mind that so far, this is almost entirely within the range of mild to moderate... in terms of OVERALL impact. For me, having already had this in the house, this is simply turning out to be a scramble working through other things & trying to work for other people felled by flu. THAT I suspect, will increasingly be the impact we see. Those who've hd it will find themselves working like stink to help others through it in various ways.

Locally, I've not heard of any problems with the vax. I've actually spoken to 4 people who've had it. Sore arms & feeling a bit tired & dizzy seem to be the worst they've experienced. I never did find out what happened to our bingo caller - can't get hold of the right people for info.

Anyway, I'm outta here.

I WILL be back here at some point today, if only briefly.

Wish us luck...
Old 10-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 3,771 Times in 2,083 Posts
Good luck, Sue. After reading the thread Amberglass started about her friend's experience in the ER, I'm glad the flu has already been through your home. The last thing Terri needs is a mouth full of stitches AND the flu. Take care of the both of you.
“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”
— Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935.

Price history
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

Good luck to both of you today, Sue. Oral surgery...ow. Hope he does well and heals quickly. And when you get home....rest. You're gonna' burn yourself out on all this apartment turning and caretaking. Don't get yourself sick again.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
ontariomom
Member Level 2

Good Luck Sue...look forward to your update!
ontariomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
Amberglass
Senior Level 3

Best of luck to you and DH today Sue.

I really look forward to hearing about your hospital experience.

I visualize you going around the hospital with your detective hat on and a magnifying glass in your hand.....all Sherlock Holmes .......
Amberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
rb.

Make that detective hat on, a magnifying glass... and a bottle of Purell.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,606 Times in 2,015 Posts
We're back, he's fine, I'm dead. It was a hospital day from Hell. I just need to sit here for a bit & stare into space or something, Lately, every time I think I TRULY understand the word 'fried', I have to redefine it.

I got to play detective alright - even stuck into a staff briefing!

Let me just put a 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door, make sure the phones are shut off & get a cold drink & I'll start writing this up.

It's gonna be pretty long & I'll apologize in advance if it's rambling & somewhat incoherant.

This is about to go south REALLY quickly...
Old 10-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Key
Member Level 4

Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
rb.

Oooo...that doesn't sound good.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
Amberglass
Senior Level 3