Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Prep

Flu Prep This room is dedicated only to discussion of medical preparation for flu and the mitigation of the spread or symptoms of influenza. Please use the Prep Room for generic prep discussions (food, water, security, etc.)

Old 11-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Samen
unregistered

Default Anti-swine flu holy water dispenser

Italian invents anti-swine flu holy water dispenser

Inventor Luciano Marabese displays a prototype of his holy water dispenser at his office in Capriano Briosco, around 40 kilometres north of Milan. Parishes in northern Italy have begun installing automatic holy water dispensers in churches to allow the faithful to make the sign of the cross without the fear of catching H1N1 swine flu when using communal water.

Photograph by: Stefano Rellandini, Reuters

ROME - An Italian inventor has combined faith and ingenuity to come up with a way to keep church traditions alive for the faithful without the fear of contracting swine flu — an electronic holy water dispenser.
The terracotta dispenser, used in the northern town of Fornaci di Briosco, functions like an automatic soap dispenser in public washrooms — a churchgoer waves his or her hand under a sensor and the machine spurts out holy water.
"It has been a bit of a novelty. People initially were a bit shocked by this technological innovation but then they welcomed it with great enthusiasm and joy. The members of this parish have got used to it," said Father Pierangelo Motta.
Catholics entering and leaving churches usually dip their hands into fonts full of holy water — which has been blessed by a priest — and make the sign of the cross.
But fear of contracting the H1N1 virus has led many in Italy — where some 15 people have died of swine flu — not to dip their hands in the communal water font.
"It's great," said worshipper Marta Caimm as she entered the church. "Thanks to this we are not worried about catching swine flu. It is the right thing for the times," she said.
Luciano Marabese, who invented the dispenser, said he did so out of concern that fear of swine flu was eroding traditions.
And he is now blessing himself all the way to the bank.
"After all the news that some churches, like Milan's cathedral, were suspending the use of holy water fonts as a measure against swine flu, demands for my invention shot to the stars. I have received orders from all over the world," he said.

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/I...130/story.html
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Why do they not put holy disinfectant in the holy water? Surely if the Father can bless a jug water, he can bless a bottle of Pine-Sol as well.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ought Six For This Useful Post:
Mousehound (11-10-2011)
Old 11-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

drummagick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
Why do they not put holy disinfectant in the holy water? Surely if the Father can bless a jug water, he can bless a bottle of Pine-Sol as well.
You are missing it. Blessing the water allows the faithful to receive the blessing.

They would be safe from H1N1 is their Faith was strong.

If their Faith was lacking then they might get H1N1.

The Pine-Sol is to protect the ones with little faith.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:04 AM   #5
l'Incendiario
anomalous matter

If they very REALLY faithful they should include the virus as well …
Old 11-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
jane333
Member Level 4

I'm wondering why 'GOD' made viruses that target, maim and ultimately kill humans, at all.
jane333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
Kassy
Eurothrash

Or why humans age & die but that's a subject for a different subforum like the Sanctuary.
Exodia (11-09-2011), jane333 (11-09-2011)
Old 11-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
jane333
Member Level 4

For instance:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_393156.html
Old 11-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,704 Posts
My parents would buy water from Lourdes. Every time I got sick, I got a shower. Didn't matter what bug I caught or body part I smashed, splash splash and... hey, I'm just as sick as I was before!

A fool and their money...
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
Exodia
Prune Candy

I guess I'd be late to the party in requesting that the thread stay on topic, since it was derailed 15 mins after the intial post 2 years ago.

That being said, can we relegate the ridicule of people's religious customs to an area other than the Flu Prep area? Thanks.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodia View Post
I guess I'd be late to the party in requesting that the thread stay on topic, since it was derailed 15 mins after the intial post 2 years ago.
My comment, 15 minutes after the OP, was perfectly well right on topic, thanks. Disinfectant in the water to prevent disease makes perfect sense.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
jane333
Member Level 4

Quote:
I guess I'd be late to the party in requesting that the thread stay on topic, since it was derailed 15 mins after the intial post 2 years ago. That being said, can we relegate the ridicule of people's religious customs to an area other than the Flu Prep area? Thanks.
One man's ridicule is another man's statement of fact.

Because the vast majority of the religious seek vociferously to disallow logical statements AND throwing the light of day on superstition, such posts are essential. Please feel free to skip any secular topics that you find of no interest.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
Exodia
Prune Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
My comment, 15 minutes after the OP, was perfectly well right on topic, thanks. Disinfectant in the water to prevent disease makes perfect sense.
Fair enough.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #14
Exodia
Prune Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane333 View Post
One man's ridicule is another man's statement of fact.

Because the vast majority of the religious seek vociferously to disallow logical statements AND throwing the light of day on superstition, such posts are essential. Please feel free to skip any secular topics that you find of no interest.
Please. Your comments here are not in any way adding to the topic, which was a pretty novel way of helping mitigate the spread of a flu during an epidemic for millions of Catholics who practice their faith all over the world.

Quote:
Flu Prep This room is dedicated only to discussion of medical preparation for flu and the mitigation of the spread or symptoms of influenza. ....
Old 11-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #15
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,704 Posts
Ex, it is a mortal sin for Catholics to miss Sunday Mass.

During Mass, hundreds, sometimes thousands of people, are crowded together in one large room. Parishioners dip their fingers in a bowl of holy water and bless themselves as they enter the church. During services they turn to people on their right and left, in front of them and behind them, and offer a handshake of friendship. If they partake of Communion, the priest and everyone else drinks from the same cup. The priest's fingers touch the Host, and he places it on your tongue, often touching your face and lips as he does so. He goes from person to person doing the same thing. As parishoners leave the church they shake hands with the Priest at the door.

Catholics only miss Sunday Mass if they are gravely ill. You may only receive Communion if you are free of sin - ie, have confessed and received absolution recently and not sinned in the meantime. During the Sacrament of Confession a line of people occupy a tiny closet one at a time, speaking to the priest through a mesh screen.

Those religious traditions create a petri dish. This is no secret. I questioned it as a very young child and I was told: GOD protects you - you will never, ever get sick from holy water, or standing next to someone who has the flu in Church.

When I was caring for my father and sister, who is so frail a bad cold could kill her, this was the subject of MANY arguments when a flu or cold bug was going around.

Practicing the Catholic religion during an epidemic WILL spread the disease. PERIOD. There's no way around that.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #16
Exodia
Prune Candy

FB - all vaid points. That is certainy within the jist of the room and the OP. Comments about why God allows disease, links to articles about completely unreated diseases and adding virus to the holy water are trolling IMHO.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #17
jane333
Member Level 4

Quote:
Please. Your comments here are not in any way adding to the topic,....
You are entitled to your opinion. Please take your own advice: "...Let us speak courteously, deal fairly,..."

IMO, Accusing other members of 'trolling' simply because their opinions differ from your own is neither courteous nor fair.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane333 View Post
IMO, Accusing other members of 'trolling' simply because their opinions differ from your own is neither courteous nor fair.
IMO, that is not an accurate portrayal of Exodia's actions or motives. The 'treeman' link and 'God allows viruses' is really an off-topic attack on the Catholic faith. Pointing that out and calling you on it is perfectly appropriate moderating, and is not indicative of some presumed bias on Exodia's part.

My , provided at no charge.

Last edited by Ought Six; 11-11-2011 at 05:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ought Six For This Useful Post:
Exodia (11-14-2011)
Old 11-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #19
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

I read it before. I just reread all of Exodia's comments. I stand by what I said. YMMV.

EDIT:

This post is a response to a post by j333 saying that 'I must not have completely read Exodia's post then'. That post has since been deleted.

Last edited by Ought Six; 11-11-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #20
jane333
Member Level 4

LOL

Edit: I deleted my post BEFORE you replied.

Last edited by jane333; 11-12-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #21
Malcolm
Senior Level 2

Mmmm my Farther was expelled from school for tipping ink in the "Holy-Water"
My Farther could not read or write but was a succes in life.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antiswine, dispenser, flu, holy, invents, italian, water