Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Flu Clinic > Flu Discussion

Flu Discussion This subroom is intended for "soft discussion" of flu-related topics. This includes general chat, joke threads, scenarios, discussions of personal feelings, etc.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
ontariomom
Member Level 2

Default H1N1 flu shot illness probed

Didn't see this posted anywhere, hope it's in the right spot!

TORONTO -- The Ontario health ministry is investigating 17 cases in which people fell seriously ill after the receipt of the H1N1 flu vaccine.

Andrew Morrison, spokeman for the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care, said the cases include four vaccine recipients who came down with Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS) — a rare neurological condition characterized by sudden weakness or parlysis. Another 13 people came down with anaphylaxis, a serious allergic reaction which can include symptoms of anaphylactic shock, rapid heartbeat, itchiness in the skin and difficulty breathing.

Donna Hartlen, a 39-year-old Markham mother, was diagnosed with GBS two weeks after receiving a shot of the vaccine.

She is partially paralyzed on the right side of her face. She is no longer able to properly chew food and her right eye is bandaged because she can no longer blink to protect it.

Don Gibson, 80, also of Markham and developed GBS, said he received the same batch of H1N1 flu vaccine two days before Hartlen from the same Markham doctor’s office. Gibson also blames the H1N1 vaccine for his GBS infection.

Morrison said there are measures in place to watch for severe allergic reactions following the administering of vaccines. Health Canada has pulled a batch of the swine flu vaccine — produced by GlaxoSmithKline Inc. — after it appeared that the batch may have caused higher rates of severe allergic reactions than other lots.

No one knows why GBS affects some people and not others.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...03751-qmi.html
ontariomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Kassy
Eurothrash

It could have been posted in the Canada Swine Flu thread because it's flu related news but this is fine too. Just zooming in on a subgroup of cases.

Any idea how many people got vaccinated in Ontario in total?
Old 02-03-2010, 03:39 AM   #3
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,380 Times in 1,905 Posts
Trying to find out.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

From the sound of things, illnesses being accumulated in the population will not show up as statistically significant in relation to the vaccine.

Just my opinion based on how much news we're NOT getting on vaccine related illness.
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Kassy
Eurothrash

That's why i'd like some approximation of vaxed Ontarions...it'll give some perspective.

Quote:
We are still vaccinating around 7,000 people a day at our clinics," said spokeswoman Susan Sperling.
http://www.healthzone.ca/health/news...se-their-doors

So they'd get to 210000 in a month and there are many more clinics.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,380 Times in 1,905 Posts
If the clinics are open daily.

Uptake ended up being a lot lower than expected. I know there are articles out there from which I could get a close approximation. I'll check as soon as I get through these virus scans.

Tags
flu, h1n1, illness, probed, shot