Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow TSA to regulate private jets

Texas attack revives debate over private jets

Thomas Frank
USA Today
February 26, 2010

In late 2008, the Transportation Security Administration made a stunning and little-noticed projection: If a private jet flew into an urban office building, 3,000 people could be killed. That's a higher death total than in the Sept. 11 attacks.

The TSA used the estimate to justify a plan to impose security rules on 15,000 private jets, including requirements that jet operators check passengers against watch lists and keep weapons off their planes.

The proposal was labeled as potentially crippling to jet owners. More than 7,000 protest letters from private pilots, businesses and aviation groups forced the TSA to rewrite its plan. A new proposal is likely late this year, and security rules could take effect in 2011 — a decade after the 9/11 attacks.

The TSA's struggle to regulate private jets reflects the deep dispute over how much danger is posed by the planes, which fly in and out of thousands of airports with no TSA oversight. Even the Homeland Security Department is divided.

The TSA said large private planes "could be used effectively to commit a terrorist act." The Homeland Security inspector general said in a 2009 report that private aviation "does not present a serious homeland security vulnerability" requiring new TSA rules.

"There is a balance because we don't want to really restrict (private) aviation," said Vahid Motevalli, former head of George Washington University's aviation safety and security program. "But it shouldn't be totally ignored."

The jets the TSA is looking at are a small portion of the nation's 220,000 private airplanes. Most private planes are small, piston-engine aircraft individuals fly out of community airports primarily for recreation and instruction. The government considers those planes too light and too slow to cause major damage, although it does restrict those planes from flying above high-profile events such as the Olympics, the Super Bowl and national political conventions.

Small planes are receiving new scrutiny after Joseph Stack deliberately flew his four-seat, piston-engine plane into a Texas office building last week, killing himself and a worker in the building, which suffered extensive damage.

The TSA plans to review the damage to determine whether it should consider new security measures.

Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., said the crash shows private planes must be regulated. "It was horrific," said Rockefeller, Congress' leading advocate for imposing security rules on private flights. "It just shows what one person can do."

The overall reaction from Congress has been relative silence. Few lawmakers have made public statements or called for hearings into the Texas crash. Several experts said in interviews that the death toll shows the limited harm a small plane can cause.

"To me, it's just a risk you're going to have to accept," aviation-security consultant Rich Roth said. "There's nothing we could really do short of saying you guys can't fly planes."

Douglas Laird, another security expert, agreed. "You can do about as much damage with that plane as you could with an SUV loaded with fuel," he said. "I can't get agitated about it."

Roth said the dramatic TV footage of flames and heavy smoke billowing out of the seven-story office building in Austin could inspire copycats: "Unfortunately, I think every terrorist out there is looking at this and thinking, That looks kind of neat."

The Austin crash has mobilized private-aviation groups, which have been influential in countering TSA efforts to impose security rules on private jets.

The 400,000-member Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) said on its website that as soon as reports of the plane crash were broadcast, it got in touch with TSA officials to "provide detailed information" about private aviation "and maintain reason."

"AOPA is working to ensure there are no new regulations as a result of the incident," the organization said.

Ed Bolen, CEO of the National Business Aviation Association, said private-aviation groups have launched their own security initiatives aimed at spotting suspicious activity at small airports and suspicious purchases of private airplanes.

The crash last week doesn't suggest new rules are needed, Bolen said. "I think this has a lot to do with a troubled individual," he said. "I don't think it's a reflection of the industry."
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Fiddlerdave
Not Active

Quote:
"AOPA is working to ensure there are no new regulations as a result of the incident," the organization said.
Terrorist dupes!

Whatever security requirements commercial aviation deserves, so does private aviation as well!
Fiddlerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

The statist's credo:
Quote:
"When we got organized as a country and we wrote a fairly radical Constitution with a radical Bill of Rights, giving a radical amount of individual freedom to Americans, it was assumed that the Americans who had that freedom would use it responsibly.... [However, now] there's a lot of irresponsibility. And so a lot of people say there's too much freedom. When personal freedom's being abused, you have to move to limit it."
-- William Jefferson Clinton, 1994 --
---

The free man's credo:
Quote:
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1791 --
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:11 AM   #4
Fiddlerdave
Not Active

I agree with Mr. Jefferson myself. I assume people have read enough of my negative view of the ineffectiveness, waste, and inappropriate use of government power used to regulate the freedom of travel on commercial airlines.

If the powerful who fly their own jets had to deal with the same rules as the public, I suspect we may see reduction in the amount of "Security Theater" we deal with on commercial flights.

When those who fly Learjets speak, Congress listens!
Fiddlerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Mrs. Hermit
Member Level 1

"The TSA said large private planes "could be used effectively to commit a terrorist act." So could a large SUV loaded with "Stuff", or a private delivery truck with a payload. Are these to be regulated, too? Maybe a "no DRIVE" list needs to be developed!
Old 02-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
spinnerholic
Senior Level 3

Just how much do you believe those private plane owners are going to take to being "regulated", just like the common airline passengers? And they can't carry guns on their own planes?? Yeah, right.

My schedule is full.
spinnerholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
BirdGuano
H1N1 Crash Dummy

Told you it was coming.

Let no good crisis go un-used.

Quote:
"It is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep." -- Tibetan proverb
News and commentary updates on Twitter @guanosphere
BirdGuano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jets, private, regulate, tsa