Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Science Center > Power Station

Power Station A wing of the Science Center dedicated to the discussion of energy issues. This includes both technical and political discussions of current and future conventional and renewable energy issues.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:52 AM   #1
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thumbs up CO2 converted to fuel by sunlight

Imagine producing liquid fuel (20,000 gallons of ethanol per acer) while reducing CO2, without requiring agricultural land or fresh water, and doing it cheaply. Joule Biotechnologies says they have developed the technology to do just this, and will be ready for commercial-scale development this year.

Please read the article here.

Joule Biotechnologies information here.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Last edited by Mousehound; 04-25-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
dyrt
. . .

I can see how this technology would be profitable in some niches . . . maybe in those countries that the government has forced carbon markets. I am not sure. I am trying to get this idea in my little brain. If I understand correctly:

Joule has genetically engineered some little creatures to shit ethanol or diesel. There are some creatures that naturally do this so I guess the trick was to get them to eat and shit alot. They made some big fat gluttonous frankenstein cells of some sort.

But these fatties won't eat unless they are getting some nice warm sunlight. So they aren't going to work at night and not much on cloudy days. They get to rest a lot in winter because there is a lot less sunlight.

They eat carbon and lots of it. Every morning they yell "feed me!" So you must have a large supply of carbon. You have to make a deal with one of those big greedy energy consuming Daddy War Bucks and probably move your business next door to them. After all, you don't want to use up your diesel in the effort to move carbon.

Daddy will probably pay you a bit to take that nasty old carbon off his hands. But you better watch out because once that evil stuff is yours then spilling some will bring the carbon police to your door. That's why Daddy was so anxious for you to haul it off. It is a hated poisonious material.

So now you have the poison, frankenstein cell colonies and a sunny place next to the big factory. Once the morning clouds go away, your frankensteins start shitting diesel and big carbon spewing diesel trucks will buy it from you.

Your business model is basically to buy captured carbon and resell it to trucks that spew it out again. Congratulations, you are a frankenstein farmer, working next to a big factory, processing their poison so it can be spread along the highways.

Are you feeling green yet?
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Well dyrt, unless you are planning on running your car off of your own excrement when the price of filling it up is no longer an option, then this technology may become the best game in town. The last time I checked, oil spills were not good for the environment either, but that hasn't stopped anyone from storing and using it. As to the harmfulness of these ethanol producers, I haven't seen a report on it yet. Do you have one? I would really be interested in reading that.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
Fiddlerdave
Not Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyrt
Are you feeling green yet?
While you are attempting to be amusing, the fact is is that it is just as true that recovering and refining oil is taking a larger and larger amount of that oil for the process, as well. And yet we still use oil!! But that is not what makes your criticism, IMHO, invalid.

Every bit of carbon produced from oil and coal is filling the atmosphere with carbon that had not been there for millions of years, not to mention burning up limited supplies of oil of which none NEW is being made. It is desperately needed for other modern survival needs than simply being burned.

If this algae brings enough diesel or gas to pay the bills and supply the diesel or gas that is needed to produce it, it is an economic AND environmental winner.

Further, YOUR idea of the "carbon police" coming to get you for the diesel you burn betrays a complete lack of understanding of what the carbon restrictions are all about! There are no fines for burning your newly manufactured diesel because it just used carbon from the air or that would have been released. As long as you take more carbon out than than you create burning the fuel, you are carbon neutral or better. What is spread along the highways is in THIS case is NOT ancient dinosaur spew.

You may wish to look at these environmental principles a little deeper.

Last edited by Fiddlerdave; 04-26-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Fiddlerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:22 AM   #5
Ought Six
Dismember

Lightbulb

Quote:
"CO2 converted to fuel by sunlight"
Converting CO2 into a useful hydrocarbon in a process powered directly by sunlight. Hmmm. Sounds familiar.... Have plants not been doing that for a few billion years? I believe they call it 'photosynthesis'.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:05 AM   #6
Fiddlerdave
Not Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
Converting CO2 into a useful hydrocarbon in a process powered directly by sunlight. Hmmm. Sounds familiar.... Have plants not been doing that for a few billion years? I believe they call it 'photosynthesis'.
"Photosynthesis" is common. To get 20,000 gallons per acre "fertilized" by CO2 is what is amazing, if their claim is true.

Regular corn ethanol, fertilized with petrochemical fertilizer, is the process that is pretty pointless. An acre of corn produces 328 gallons of ethanol. 20,000 is the several levels of amgnitude improvement needed to make it work. CO2 fertilizer is a big plus on top of that!
Fiddlerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:51 AM   #7
Samen
unregistered

Co2market it hot, selling and bying, now manure.
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
Sonny
Senior Level 4

Seems like a modern version of the old snake oil salesman.

Setup a venture capital fund inc. then solicit people to invest their money in something that has no chance at all of being profitable, just so they can keep living off the investors money while they prefect the science?

Gee! if their genetically engineered microbes were ever to escape,
there'll be free diesel for all just for skimming it off the surface of every lake.

April27, 2010 http://www.euroinvestor.co.uk/news/s...20100427005626 Joule today announced the closing of a $30 million second round of funding, further strengthening the company’s position as it advances from testing to high-capacity production of renewable diesel fuel

!

“We shouldn’t forget that this is a disease of poverty, of dysfunctional health systems –– and of distrust,”

" For this reason, information, communication and involvement of community leaders are as important as the classical medical approach."

--

Last edited by Sonny; 04-28-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converted, co², fuel, sunlight, tbmfp