Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow Dems may not release Kagan's memos written during service in Clinton White House

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/65841
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
free ranger
Perception is reality

Most transparent administration...EVAR!!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

When Bush refused to release WH memos written by Roberts when he was nominated, the Dems had a fecal hemorrhage about it. But now Obama is doing it, so it is okay.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
Sysiphus
Senior Level 5

And Bush was right, and Obama is right now, hypocrisy aside. Executive privilege is important else a President will never get candid advice.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,474 Times in 933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysiphus View Post
And Bush was right, and Obama is right now, hypocrisy aside. Executive privilege is important else a President will never get candid advice.

I agree but there is the difference I see.

These documents being withheld are NOT documents used to advise the Obama administration.

When Bush withheld, the nominee was in his own, and current, administration.

Now, the nominee was in a previous administration not a current one.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
Sysiphus
Senior Level 5

Quote:
When Bush withheld, the nominee was in his own, and current, administration.

Now, the nominee was in a previous administration not a current one.
You're splitting hairs. If a current president thinks confidential written advice is going to be reviewed by Congress and others after he leaves office, the chilling effect is the same. That said, the privilege lies with B. Clinton, not with the WH or the Democrats.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,474 Times in 933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysiphus View Post
You're splitting hairs. If a current president thinks confidential written advice is going to be reviewed by Congress and others after he leaves office, the chilling effect is the same. That said, the privilege lies with B. Clinton, not with the WH or the Democrats.
Not at all. Do you think that document from every mid to low level administration official is locked up?

When an administration leaves office the papers and other effects go to the Library of Congress IIRC. Remember the issue with Bush leaving and all of the e-mails? The people own them. Bill Clinton doesn't own them and he has no Presidential privilege. That belongs to Obama.

A lot of documents gets released automatically unless they are direct Presidential papers or classified information. A lot of stuff from Bush 1, Clinton and Bush 2 have been released.

Stuff covered under Freedom of Information Act must be released immediately unless it meets special condition.

If it falls under the Presidential Records Act then it will be released at 5 or 10 years. Kagan was on the White House Domestic Policy Council and then Associate White House Counsel from 1995 to 1999..

No one knew she was going to go for a SCOTUS appointment back then.

What do you want to bet a lot of Kagan's writings were sitting in the LOC, able to be checked out by anyone. As soon as they put her on the short list some memorandum went to the LOC and they were pulled.

I am also going to bet they know this can't hold up to a challenge. They are just trying to hold it up until close to the hearings so it can't be used.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clinton, dems, house, kagan, memos, release, service, tbmfp, white, written