Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Science Center

Science Center Our science center is equipped to facilitate a variety of general scientific discussions, including physics, environment science, astronomy and technology research.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow Construction crew at WTC site uncovers a 200 year old ship

http://beta.wnyc.org/articles/wnyc-n...year-old-ship/
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,098 Posts
Quote:
Workers and members of the media inspect the hull of a late 18th or early 19th century ship found at the World Trade Center site
Has to be. Not many archeologist would walk on an artifact.

But you really want to blow your mind is go to Google Maps and see where the actual WTC site is.

How much of Manhattan has been filled over the years?

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

A lot of geologists will tell you that the New York area is prone to very infrequent but very severe earthquakes. Do you know what happens to trash dump type fill along a shoreline when you get a really severe earthquake? It tends to turn to quicksand, and buildings sink right into it. You also get 'sand blows'; large geysers of sand and water boiling out of the ground all over the place. The fill right along the water usually slumps into the water and disappears, along with whatever is built on it.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,090 Times in 1,787 Posts
I had no idea Ought. That would be a living nightmare. I 'knew' much of New York was artifically built up land but had no clue about the extent of it.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Liquefaction (soil turning to quicksand) from an earthquake with buildings built on sandy soil:

Here is a piece on mud volcanoes, aka sand blows:

http://geology.about.com/od/volcanoes/ig/mudvolcs/
Old 07-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
Arianwen
This runner/cyclist fueled by Irish Tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
Oohhh neato!
Old 07-16-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Uthrecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potemkin View Post
How much of Manhattan has been filled over the years?
Actually, a pretty large part of southern Manhattan has been built out. Here's a redraft of the original New Amsterdam Castello Plan. Ooh, and here's an interactive version of it. And finally, this site has some overlays of different maps on current Manhattan. Of course, that's another 100 years before the ship in question.

I like the theory that the ship was cut up and brought over from the nearby wharf. If that is true, if they still have records from the wharf they might even be able to identify the ship.
Uthrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthrecht View Post
Actually, a pretty large part of southern Manhattan has been built out. Here's a redraft of the original New Amsterdam Castello Plan. Ooh, and here's an interactive version of it. And finally, this site has some overlays of different maps on current Manhattan. Of course, that's another 100 years before the ship in question.

I like the theory that the ship was cut up and brought over from the nearby wharf. If that is true, if they still have records from the wharf they might even be able to identify the ship.
LOL, thanks. I spent about a hour ***ing around looking for something like that yesterday.

In the past I remember one where they showed the original outline (Castillo plan) then overlaid the growth other the years. (By saw it I mean hard copy during the 1980s or so.)

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
Uthrecht

There was a Discovery Channel show called We Built This City a while back that dealt with Paris, London and New York City, and had graphics showing the growth of the cities using CGI. I recall them showing the expansion of Manhattan Island at one point. It was a similar CGI look as to some of the city growth stuff they just did in America: The Story of Us.
Uthrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

A lot of downtown Seattle would be prone to liquefaction.

Which is why it worries me that DD#1 lives 2 blocks off the waterfront. :-(
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

To see how the land area of Manhattan Island has changed, go here:

http://themannahattaproject.org/explore/mannahatta-map/

Move the slider control at the bottom of the map labeled '1609 layer'.

Tags
200, construction, crew, ship, site, uncovers, wtc, year