Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
leistb
Senior Level 6
 
leistb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,378
Thanks: 275
Thanked 561 Times in 327 Posts
Default Oblama Gonna Pay My Mortgage!

With deteriorating economic data showing unemployment is getting worse, the stimulus is failing and monetary policies are driving the towards a deflationary cycle; the poll numbers for The One and especially Democrats are in the toilet. They're getting nervous heading into the mid-term elections.

What has now become more of a persistent rumor as opposed to an annoying buzz, is the administration is considering paying your mortgage -or at least a part of it. Can the can-kicking get any more creative?

Read the latest iteration here. Read related items here and here.

By the way, why was Fannie and Freddie omitted from any of the provisions of the recently passed FinReg bill? Hmmm......
leistb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
rryan
Where the hell am I?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,820
Thanks: 141
Thanked 160 Times in 115 Posts
What I want to say is unprintable. I think I am going to be sick
__________________
“Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.”
-RAH

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
DReynolds
irishisasirishdoes
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: lonestarstate
Posts: 3,125
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leistb View Post
By the way, why was Fannie and Freddie omitted from any of the provisions of the recently passed FinReg bill?
The benign explanation is that they don't really exist anymore, since Fannie and Freddie were both seized by the Federal Govt in 2008. Under the present circumstances, the US owns and operates Fannie and Freddie which are no longer any different than any federal entitlement program, so it's not clear what would become of them.

Re-privatize? Not gonna happen. Wouldn't work anyway. Close them down? Not gonna happen (though it would be best in the long-run).
DReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
DReynolds
irishisasirishdoes
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: lonestarstate
Posts: 3,125
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
BTW, even my colleagues in the Econ department cannot explain the exact legal status of Fannie and Freddie. I find this very frightening, and maddening. It's a sad commentary on the Media and the populace that there is no demand for a clarification -- 2 years on.

The Treasury said they could "make payments to Fannie/Freddie" but that Fannie and Freddie were still "semi-independent". The shares are believed to be worthless, because the Govt will never return anything to shareholders. But bonds issued by Fannie and Freddie are said by the Federal Reserve to be "backed by the Treasury but not as safe as Govt bonds". What the hell does that mean?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2010/..._platypus.html
DReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
leistb
Senior Level 6
 
leistb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,378
Thanks: 275
Thanked 561 Times in 327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DReynolds View Post
BTW, even my colleagues in the Econ department cannot explain the exact legal status of Fannie and Freddie. I find this very frightening, and maddening. It's a sad commentary on the Media and the populace that there is no demand for a clarification -- 2 years on.
Very maddening indeed and just one many sordid sub-plots in this whole cluster of government actions in recent years designed to overwhelm, further perpetuating the apathy.

Quote:
The Treasury said they could "make payments to Fannie/Freddie" but that Fannie and Freddie were still "semi-independent". The shares are believed to be worthless, because the Govt will never return anything to shareholders. But bonds issued by Fannie and Freddie are said by the Federal Reserve to be "backed by the Treasury but not as safe as Govt bonds". What the hell does that mean?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2010/..._platypus.html
Not disagreeing with your post but I don't seem to recall the Treasury having legal authority to make payments to anyone. Last I knew, spending initiatives originated in the House. Of course, this was not the case with TARP vis-a-vis, Paulson and Bush.
leistb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark
 
flourbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,398
Thanks: 1,322
Thanked 2,681 Times in 1,583 Posts
http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/20...something.html
__________________
Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined. ~ Patrick Henry

Price history

flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
DReynolds
irishisasirishdoes
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: lonestarstate
Posts: 3,125
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leistb View Post
Not disagreeing with your post but I don't seem to recall the Treasury having legal authority to make payments to anyone. Last I knew, spending initiatives originated in the House. Of course, this was not the case with TARP vis-a-vis, Paulson and Bush.
Right. There were about $300 billion in Federal payments to Fannie/Freddie in 2009, but they were not included in the Federal Budget. Nice, huh?

So it's an end-run around Congress. Is it legal? Doesn't look like it to me. But just like Social Security, Paulson/Geitner/Bush/Bernanke/Obama managed to make Fannie&Freddie into an off-the-books entitlement program.
DReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gonna, mortgage, oblama, pay

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.