Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Our Leisure Time

Our Leisure Time Here is where we discuss our favorite books, movies, games and television shows.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Fartacus
It's like that, is it?

Default Possibly the best line ever written in sports reporting

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS - Eli Manning took plenty of beatings from his older brother Peyton growing up in New Orleans. It's just hard to imagine a beating more thorough than the one he took Sunday night.

It was like 2009 all over again for the Giants as Eli and Co. were battered by Peyton and the Colts. They were shoved around so badly in their 38-14 loss that at one point the frustration boiled over, with Brandon Jacobs flinging his helmet into the stands.

Typical of the Giants' night: .Jacobs - who later apologized for his tantrum - was aiming for the bench, but the helmet got stuck in the adhesive part of his glove and slipped off and flew into the stands.

"It was a mistake," Jacobs said. "The whole world could be falling down on me and I wouldn't mean to do that.

"Anybody who knows me knows I wouldn't do that on purpose," Jacobs said.

The NFL is expected to investigate the incident.

As it turned out, the helmet landed 10 yards up in the stands, two more yards than Jacobs gained all game.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...xzz104muMW iA

Colts just ROLLED over the Giants. Nice comeback from an uncharacteristically sloppy Game 1 loss.

And the helmet in the stands was a d*ck move. He's DAMN lucky he didn't injure someone. A Colts fan refused to give up the helmet until someone finally strong-armed him. Video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_731190.html

The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners.
Fartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Fartacus
It's like that, is it?

What a classy guy:

Quote:
Brandon Jacobs has had trouble keeping his temper under control.
And now, he’s having issues keeping his helmet either on his head or in his hands.

The Giants’ backup running back, in a fit of rage, attempted to fire his helmet into the wall behind the visitors’ bench in the third quarter of tonight's 38-14 loss to the Colts.

The only problem is the helmet sailed into the stands, where it was captured by a Colts fan who was reluctant to give the equipment back.

“I was a little mad, but to be honest with you, it was a mistake,” Jacobs said. “It got caught onto the sticky leather of my gloves.

“I did not mean to do that and everybody who knows me knows I did not mean to do something like that. The whole world could fall down on me and I wouldn’t have done anything like that.

“I apologize to Indy, first of all, and their fans, our organization. It’s just something that happened that shouldn’t have happened.”

But it did happen, and Jacobs could be facing discipline from the league, which fines players for throwing footballs into the crowd.

Jacobs, who said he also apologized to the fan who caught the helmet, didn’t play much afterward, but coach Tom Coughlin attributed that to the fact the Giants were playing from behind.

Still, Coughlin was upset with Jacobs on the drive before he tossed his helmet. On a designed run to the right side, Jacobs cut back to the left, a la Ahmad Bradshaw, and was dropped by Antoine Bethea for no gain.

“We see too much of that east and west stuff,” said Coughlin, who was yelling and waving his arms after the play. “Find some place to go and get up (the field).”

Jacobs, who was flagged for a personal-foul penalty after a late hit earlier in the game, got into a heated, profanity-laced discussion with a reporter after the game when asked if he was pulled by Coughlin because of the helmet tossed. He then apologized to the reporter and explained why he was upset at the line of questioning.

Of course, all of this comes after Jacobs, who rushed for 8 yards on four carries last night, griped to ESPN.com after the preseason finale against the Patriots he was finding it “hard to stay positive” as Bradshaw’s backup. A few days later, when asked whether running backs have to keep their “egos” in check when they split carries, Jacobs walked off and yelled a profanity.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...gizes_for.html

The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Fartacus
It's like that, is it?

This dude Blitz rocks:

Quote:
4. Posted by Blitz Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:40 pm EDT Report Abuse
I love Brandon Jacobs!!!! I would love to catch his helmet and stick it in my butthole.

Quote:
10. Posted by Blitz Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:49 pm EDT Report Abuse
My name is Georgie and I love the Giants and I like to eat things. I wish I had Brandon Jacobs helmet so I could wear it and eat things. My name is Georgie. I love football and I'm hungry.

Quote:
13. Posted by Blitz Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:50 pm EDT Report Abuse
I think Brandon Jacobs did it because he thought his family was in the stands and he wanted them to see his helmet. Maybe he saw a man with a gun and he wanted to hit him so he couldn't hurt anyone. Brandon Jacobs is a hero.
Quote:
15. Posted by Blitz Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:55 pm EDT Report Abuse
Brandon Jacobs is a hard nosed passionate football player that plays with emotion and power. He simply wanted to protect his family from the mean fan that looked at him wrong. I am eating fig newtons right now while I stare at my twelve Brandon Jacobs posters and I feel strong from the power that I get from him. This is Georgie and I want to legally change my name to Brandon Jacobs Jr. because he showed honor and power, while putting himself out there. He is brave and strong.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Sysiphus
Senior Level 5

It's gonna be a long season.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
line, possibly, reporting, sports, written