Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow The MSM's downplaying of the Tea Party during election coverage

I have been a bit stunned by the brazen downplaying of the Tea Party by the MSM during this year's election coverage. I am not talking about the nasty ad hominems, and slurs about 'rampant racism'. This is something simeltaneously both blatant and subtle.

The blatant part was the media's hysteria about the threat that the Tea Party posed to the Dems, and thus to America itself. After months of dismissing them as a joke, after Tea Party-endorsed candidates started winning primaries, the media then switched to fear-mongering, talking about how the Tea Party's 'extremist agenda' would be so horrible if their candidates got elected. The subtle part was that as we got closer to election day and the polls showed the Tea Partiers were kicking butt, the Dems began to poison the dialog with the old trick of raising the bar to ridiculous heights. Suddenly, virtually every race with a Tea Party candidate was 'critical' for the Tea Party to win 'if they were going to be taken seriously'. And after Angle, O'Donnel, and other Tea Party picks lost, the media immediately began talking about 'how poorly they did'. Here is a prime example from MSNBC:

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news...candidates-win

Note how they cast it as a defeat for the Tea Party.

Now let us return to reality, and examine the historical truth. Can anyone name *any* third party that went from, less than two years before the election, being completely unknown, to electing a whole slew of people to the Congress of the United States, as well as state Governorships? Can anyone name *any* party that, in such a short length of time, rose out of the grass roots with no leadership or organization to completely transform the national political dialog, and the entire dynamic of the election? Can anyone name *any* third party with no backing from any major special interest groups, and with no backing from unions, corporations or other special interest groups, that struck raw terror into the hearts both of the two major political parties?

The accomplishment of the Tea Party in this election is both astounding and unprecedented in American politics. The size and scope of this cannot be honestly understated. This is history writ large, and it is happening right in front of our eyes. The media trolls are crouching behind their new desks and keyboards, desperately trying to diminish and dismiss this monumental triumph. That lie must be opposed, and the truth of this event brought home to the American people. It is absolutely critical that Americans fully grasp how us 'little people' rose up defied the elites inside the Beltway, in the MSM, in academia, in Hollywood, and in all their happy little liberal and neocon bubbles wherever they exist. This is the empowerment of the unwashed masses, and it scares the hell out of The Powers That Be. It is up to us to keep it alive, nurture it and expand it so that in 2012, it can strike even harder and cut even deeper. There is our homework for the next two years. Let us get to it.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.

Last edited by Ought Six; 11-03-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,098 Posts
Not the BBC. They had a good analysis of the Tea Party's effect on the midterms.

They acknowledged the few defeats and that some were I think they called them "unusual", but it was fair.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
dharma
balrog

I watched the election coverage on CNBC, and found it reasonably balanced, which is more than I can say for any other network. The Tea Party was generally treated with respect.

Interestingly, I watched Rick Santelli's famous outburst live a couple years ago (CNBC runs in the background all day long when I am working). I thought it was impassioned (Rick is always impassioned), but disjointed and frankly pretty mundane, as one might expect of what were basically off-the-cuff remarks. Never in a zillion years would I have imagined it would ignite the firestorm it has, especially while articulate, focused commentators like Krauthammer and Malkin labor for years, and despair of reaching wider audiences.

Funny world.
dharma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
dyrt
. . .

This election is just the beginning for conservatives. The Dems and Obama have drove some pretty deep race and class wedges into society. Sooner or later, most minority voters are going to realize that their desires for their families is better matched to the conservative that voted Rep this time. The goal is remove race as a reason to vote for someone.
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

d:
Quote:
"Sooner or later, most minority voters are going to realize that their desires for their families is better matched to the conservative that voted Rep this time. The goal is remove race as a reason to vote for someone."
I am not holding my breath waiting for that magic realization to dawn over those heavily emotionally invested in their cult of victimology.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coverage, downplaying, election, msm, party, tea