Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Kitchen > Desserts

Old 12-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,090 Times in 1,787 Posts
Talking Baking Day!

0615, SD has left for work & my morning chores are all done. Refrigerated baking ingredients are coming up to room temp on the counter, recipe books are out & open & I'm gearing up for a fun day of baking. I'm looking forward to this. Last year, I scrambled at the last minute, exhausted, to throw together a few things.

This year, I've been lucky enough to pick up most of my baking ingredients on sale - staples, seasonal ingredients & I'm eager to try a bunch of new to me cookie & square recipes. I'm also going to try a ton of loaves & muffins.

I'll freeze most of it & plan to keep baking off & on for the next few weeks. I've got little baskets of baking to put together for friends & coworkers - none of whom will be expecting them.

Gonna give SO another hour to stir his lazy butt out of bed, then I start making kitchen noises!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Mrs. Hermit
Member Level 1

Could you post some of your recipe titles to inspire me? I am SO not in the Christmas mood this year. My brain is still telling me it is late October!
Old 12-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Default I tried this one last night - yummy!

I'm determined to break out of my Xmas 'baking rut' this year. Of course I'll bake all our favourites but am trying some stuff as well. I put this one together last night. Easy, delicious & RICH! Cut the squares SMALL. I gambled & did it all in the food processor - saved time & dishes:

ORANGE SQUARES

1 medium orange
1 cup of raisins

1/2 cup margarine or butter, (I used marg)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Cut the ends off the oranges & quarter them. Reserve 2-3 tbsp of orange juice for the glaze. Quarter the orange, then toss it & everything else into the food processor. Process it to smithereens - or until the orange is cut into little bits. You end up with a lumpy batter - that's cool.

Grease a 9 x 13 pan & spread in the batter. It's thick - it's supposed to be. Bake it at 350 for 25 minutes.

Mix up a glaze, (optional), of 1, 1/2 cup of icing sugar & the reserved orange juice. Spread it on top of the squares while they're still a tad warm. The top of the squares will be a bit lumpy with yummy fruit bits - no worries. Place the whole thing in the fridge until well cooled. When the glaze has hardened, cut it into small squares. I kept some of it in the fridge for immediate piggery & froze the rest. Later today or tomorrow, I'm gonna make another batch.

I'm wondering if it would work with other fruit besides orange - lemon, candied peel... I'll have to think about that.

And I wasn't kidding - these are RICH!
Old 12-05-2010, 04:24 AM   #4
lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
I'm determined to break out of my Xmas 'baking rut' this year. Of course I'll bake all our favourites but am trying some stuff as well. I put this one together last night. Easy, delicious & RICH! Cut the squares SMALL. I gambled & did it all in the food processor - saved time & dishes:

ORANGE SQUARES

1 medium orange
1 cup of raisins

1/2 cup margarine or butter, (I used marg)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

Cut the ends off the oranges & quarter them. Reserve 2-3 tbsp of orange juice for the glaze. Quarter the orange, then toss it & everything else into the food processor. Process it to smithereens - or until the orange is cut into little bits. You end up with a lumpy batter - that's cool.

Grease a 9 x 13 pan & spread in the batter. It's thick - it's supposed to be. Bake it at 350 for 25 minutes.

Mix up a glaze, (optional), of 1, 1/2 cup of icing sugar & the reserved orange juice. Spread it on top of the squares while they're still a tad warm. The top of the squares will be a bit lumpy with yummy fruit bits - no worries. Place the whole thing in the fridge until well cooled. When the glaze has hardened, cut it into small squares. I kept some of it in the fridge for immediate piggery & froze the rest. Later today or tomorrow, I'm gonna make another batch.

I'm wondering if it would work with other fruit besides orange - lemon, candied peel... I'll have to think about that.

And I wasn't kidding - these are RICH!

To clarify...the oranges arent peeled then...just cut the ends off?
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

I'm sorry, yes... peel & all. It adds a nice, colourful, 'lumpy' look.

Tags
baking, day