Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News > MidEast Turmoil

MidEast Turmoil The world has its eyes on the uprisings in Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan and Syria. TBM has created a special forum for up to the minute news and discussion of rapidly changing events.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #26
Sonny
Senior Level 4

No doubt this is tremendous great achievement for Iran's navy. The navigating of two ships all the way through Red Sea into Mediterranean on their way to deliver materials needed for Hezbollah's "peaceful" exploration of space.

Such a great accomplishment calls for grand celebrations.

Yep! right up there with "Man on the Moon."
Far surpassing Christopher Columbus
Crush Kill and Destroy for Ali AckBar

http://www.thewashingtonnote.com/arc...t_post_by_a_6/

“We shouldn’t forget that this is a disease of poverty, of dysfunctional health systems –– and of distrust,”

" For this reason, information, communication and involvement of community leaders are as important as the classical medical approach."

--
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #27
dyrt
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oric View Post
Turkey is one of the few administrations who had th courage to tell Mubarak to listen to his people and go in peace when the demonstrations started?
Wow, I did not know. I am sure the Egyptians really appreciated that.
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #28
golgicomplex

Debka now reporting that the ships have not yet transited the canal.

http://www.debka.com/article/20692/

They're being boxed in by US navy. I wonder if they'll board?

It'll be interesting to see what they have on-board.
golgicomplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #29
leistb
Senior Level 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgicomplex View Post
Debka now reporting that the ships have not yet transited the canal.

http://www.debka.com/article/20692/

They're being boxed in by US navy. I wonder if they'll board?

It'll be interesting to see what they have on-board.
I'd be taking whatever Debka is reporting with a grain of salt. The U.S. is not at war with Iran and would not have any right to impede the movement of any Iranian ship in international waters -either by positioning of their ships or outright boarding.
leistb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #30
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

I have no doubt that our Navy is shadowing them closely, but probably not much more than that. I am sure that the Iranians, in their 1400 ton light frigate, are getting the message as a 6000 ton Aegis destroyer or two cruises along with them, a few hundred yards away, and they are regularly buzzed by fully bombed-up pairs of F/A-18s.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #31
dyrt
. . .

I don't think the Iranians wanted to actually transit the canal in the first place. This is just another effort to get noticed during a chaotic time. They are trying very hard to get in front the protestors parade. They want to make all this violence as a referendum on the U.S. and the British and establish a united front in preparation for the mahdi.

The transit has been postponed until Wednesday.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #32
dyrt
. . .

Last Friday President Mahmud Ahmadinejad of Iran said that the anti-government uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt were being directed by the 12th Imam (whether still occulted or not, Ahmadinejad did not elaborate). "`This is a global revolution, managed by the imam of the ages,' he told the crowds gather in and around Tehran's central Azadi Square." Iran's President also "predicted the formation of a world government, ruled by the 12th Imam"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021106817.html
Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #33
Sonny
Senior Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leistb View Post
I'd be taking whatever Debka is reporting with a grain of salt. The U.S. is not at war with Iran and would not have any right to impede the movement of any Iranian ship in international waters -either by positioning of their ships or outright boarding.
But considering the last paragraph of http://www.debka.com/article/20692/ from golgicomplex's post, pasted belo.
The UN sanctions have already Pre-approved such a boarding and inspection. All things considered if the worst were to happen, it would it be negligence not to have done so?

disclosure of Feb. 16 that the Kharg was carrying long-range surface missiles for Hizballah. It raised the possibility that the moment they venture to sail into the Suez Canal, the two Iranian warships will be boxed in between the Enterprise and the Kearsarge and called upon the allow their cargoes to be inspected as permitted by the last round of UN sanctions against Iran in the case of suspicious war freights.

The next date announced for their passage, Tuesday night, Feb. 22, will be a testing moment.

!

“We shouldn’t forget that this is a disease of poverty, of dysfunctional health systems –– and of distrust,”

" For this reason, information, communication and involvement of community leaders are as important as the classical medical approach."

--

Last edited by Sonny; 02-21-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #34
Brihard
Non-Electric Pop Up Target

Per Al-Jazeera English live stream, they've just confirmed from Suez Canal officials that the two Iranian ships have entered the canal.

-Thucydides
Brihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:12 AM   #35
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,090 Times in 1,787 Posts
BBC has the same story - they'v entered the canal.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:23 AM   #36
DReynolds
irishisasirishdoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharma View Post
the Iranians are gambling they may lose a couple of ships at most, and that Israel will not take things any farther than that. In return, they get stability at home, at least for a few months to a year.
Yes, and since it's pretty darn clear that Iran is doing this to distract their youth from rioting in the streets, it's rather half-assed. Two ships?
DReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:28 AM   #37
DReynolds
irishisasirishdoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
'Nuclear capable' means they can launch cruise missiles, which describes every modern attack sub in the world
Israel has 3 nuclear armed dolphins (they bought from Germany and fitted with Israeli nukes) and 2 more to be delivered in 2012.

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/dolphin/
Old 02-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #38
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

DR:
Quote:
"Israel has 3 nuclear armed dolphins"
That is even better than sharks with frickin' LASERs on their heads.

Actually, I suspect that Israel has equipped their subs with Popeye Turbo cruise missiles with nuclear warheads, and is using them as the sort of deterrent that we use our ballistic missile subs for. But we do not know that for a fact.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #39
Samen
unregistered

Nostradamus had something on nuclear explosion Italy, submarine and Libya for 2011 or was it 2012, maybe the Iranians have a sub in the service ship.

CIA Reveals Its James Bond-Worthy Spy Gadgets

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...agent-gadgets/
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #40
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Old 02-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #41
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

Harpoon Bait. Or, as has been said of other vessels, "that there's a Navy Cross aint been awarded yet". Of course, being the son of a destroyer sailor, it has been a long time since the black shoe Navy got a shot at another surface combatant. Been a while since Gunners Mate got one.

"When the enemy is in range, so are you!" - Murphy
كافر & Proud
Glockd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #42
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

At least a Gunners Mate aboard a man-of-war.

"When the enemy is in range, so are you!" - Murphy
كافر & Proud
Glockd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #43
DReynolds
irishisasirishdoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
Actually, I suspect that Israel has equipped their subs with Popeye Turbo cruise missiles with nuclear warheads, and is using them as the sort of deterrent that we use our ballistic missile subs for. But we do not know that for a fact.
Rafael makes ...the...very...best

Tags
canal, iranian, military, suez, syria, transiting, vessels, visit