Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Kitchen > Meat, Fish and Fowl

Old 03-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,704 Posts
Default New Twist on Corned Beef

DD does not like corned beef and she hates cabbage... but she and her hubby are The Cooks in their families, and they are both 50% Irish. This year she tried something different. Use the standard bagged pre-seasoned corned beef brisket available in any supermarket.

Liz: u take 2 onions - slice up - 6 big carrots - chunk up - 1 apple - slice up
throw in crockpot
add 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
put beef on top - top beef w/spices included - smear w/dijon mustard - coat w/brown sugar
pour 1 bottle guinness on top - around - dont clear off brown sugar - just moisten
cook on low 10 hours
smells like french onion soup - not nasty cabbage ;-)
if u insist on cabbage - when beef is done - take out and add cabbage
i dont like cabbage - so i skipped
meat comes out shreddable - super tender
i guess u could do less
but thats the time im at work haha so it works out
well then put the cabbage and cook in the broth @ the end
i made horseradish cheddar mashed potatoes to go with
and broccoli/cauliflower au gratin
and soda bread w/irish kerry gold butter
it was gooooood
i serve the corned beef w/horseradish cream too instead of mustard
just mix like 1/4 c of horseradish w/1 c sour cream
reallllllly horseradishy haha
cleaned the plates!
u sh0ould really try it
not the typical boiled pot of smelly haha
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

Speaking as an Irish mongrel, I don't like it either, especially a boiled pot- blech (and that goes for any kind of NE style boiled dinner). I do LOVE real corned beef hash though. But this sounds good. My uncle roasts or bbq's the meat and cooks the cabbage separately- "greens" style, on the side( with roasted potatoes)---thick shreds wilted/sauteed quickly in bacon- yum!!
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands now deserves the love and thanks of men and woman. Tyranny like hell is not easily conquered yet we have this consolation with us, the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value."

-Thomas Paine
preppiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
linttrap
it's time for the Guillotine, again

Thanked 5,451 Times in 2,448 Posts
Default Canned Corned Beef Recall--FYI

Jan 27th 2011 at 8:30AM
Recalls Cause Canned Corned Beef Shortage
Linda Doell

Canned corned beef -- a staple of quick, cheap meals -- is in short supply, and retailers including Walmart are pointing to a series of recalls last year as the cause for the product not being on store shelves.

The mystery meat inside typically originates from Brazil, where a major processor has been banned from exporting to the U.S. and whose meat was the subject of the recalls. The result has been empty store shelves and a waiting list on Amazon.com, for example, to order the shelf-stable cooked meat.

Retailers and manufacturers weren't particularly keen on discussing the shortage, but Walmart -- the nation's largest grocer - confirmed the problem to Consumer Ally.

"Due to the recent recall of canned corned beef, there has been an industry-wide shortage," Walmart said in a statement to Consumer Ally. "We are working closely with suppliers to replenish shelves as soon as possible."

Kathy Becker went to five stores in Virginia in her futile search for the canned corn beef to make a hearty winter stew. She also makes a casserole that has become a family favorite. When she couldn't find any, she turned to Consumer Ally for answers.

Dollar General Senior Director of Corporate Communications Tawn Earnest said the company continues to monitor supplies of the canned, fully cooked meat.

More than 200 tons of cooked beef products were recalled in three connected recalls last year by Sampco Inc. The Chicago meat company imported the beef from a Brazilian processor barred from shipping to the United States after high levels of the animal drug Ivermectin was found in its products. Ivermectin is used to treat parasites in animals, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service.

Sampco provided beef for such products as Libby Corned Beef, Brushy Creek Shredded Beef and Kroger Corned Beef.

A trade group, food producers and retailers contacted for this story kept their lips as tightly sealed as the cans themselves over the corned beef shortage. Hormel and Con Agra -- the parent company of Libby's -- didn't respond to requests for comment. Neither did Kroger or Wegmans.

Food Lion denied there was an issue and suggested contacting other grocers.

"We do not have any type of problems as you described with corned beef," said Food Lion spokesman Benny Smith.

Industry trade group Corned Beef Processors Association referred all questions to the USDA's information on the processed beef recalls and said it doesn't represent the companies involved in the recalls.

http://www.walletpop.com/2011/01/27/...beef-shortage/
linttrap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Sounds good. Whenever I make corned beef I simmer it first, then bake it with a glaze on made of brown spicy mustard, brown sugar and orange marmalade. yummy!
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,704 Posts
I have always made it the way my Irish mother and Grandmother made theirs. Toss the meat in a pot with a jar of Mrs Fannings Bread and Butter pickles (eat the pickles first), cover with water, simmer for a couple of hours, then an hour before it is done add cabbage and potatoes. Serve with bread and butter.

Then again, that may be why my daughter is such a good cook. Couldn't take more of Mom's Boiled Smelly Pot.
flourbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Sysiphus
Senior Level 5

At least a couple of these posts are sacrilege.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:19 AM   #7
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Until I made corned beef when I was married to my ex he had only had it his mom's style. That meant it was put in a pressure cooker and cooked that way. I didn't care for the tase of it. I thought I'd be nice and fix it for him. I went by the directions on the package and baked it. He loved it and told his mom that I was a much better cook then her. I was but he shouldn't have hurt her feelings. I've cooked it in a crockpot but I always go back to baking it. To me it seems to get rid of more of the fat.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
preppiechick
Senior Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysiphus View Post
At least a couple of these posts are sacrilege.
Real Irish, from Ireland don't eat corned beef My grandmother always "celebrated" with roasted lamb(even better on the BBQ!) and roasted potatoes (and her ever present whiskey on the rocks).

I went to Bon Appetit to print out the Irish Whiskey cake recipe (paddy cake paddy cake) and thought I'd post the link to all their St pats day recipes, if anyone was interested.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/me...day_menu_guide
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands now deserves the love and thanks of men and woman. Tyranny like hell is not easily conquered yet we have this consolation with us, the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value."

-Thomas Paine
preppiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
Sysiphus
Senior Level 5

You are correct, but back in the day, Irish immigrants could not get lamb easily so they used corned or peppered beef. In that sense, it is as much a St. Patrick's day tradition for us as lamb and going to church are for the Irish Irish, where it is a much more solemn occasion. I think every family has their own recipe - in our case brown sugar would certainly be a no-no.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #10
occupant
Infosponge

I think I'll oven braise my Ginsbergs corned beef for a few hours in beer with a light topping of apricot preserves and grainy mustard.Add veggies later and warm a loaf of sodabread.Sounds luscious to me
occupant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beef, corned, twist