Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Entrance > Administration > Help and Suggestions

Help and Suggestions This forum is a PUBLIC forum where everyone will see your posts and be able to respond. If you want to reach the staff privately please use private message.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Exodia
Swag Boss

Default Fukushima Speculation

I am floating the idea of having a fukushima/Japan radiation speculation or discussion thread, similar to what we have in the flu area. From time to time the current Lookout Tower thread derails into mild to heavy speculation, that then generates additional rebuttal posts. Rinse and repeat.

I'm starting this thread to explore the pros/cons of doing this.

Any thoughts folks??
Old 04-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Good idea, but I see a problem. For that to work, people will have to know that they are speculating and post that in the right forum. The problem you are trying to solve seems to involve people who cannot or will not distinguish between the two. So for this to work, the mods would have to identify and move speculative posts posted in the wrong forum. That would mean a lot of extra work for the mod of that forum.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Exodia
Swag Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
Good idea, but I see a problem. For that to work, people will have to know that they are speculating and post that in the right forum. The problem you are trying to solve seems to involve people who cannot or will not distinguish between the two. So for this to work, the mods would have to identify and move speculative posts posted in the wrong forum. That would mean a lot of extra work for the mod of that forum.
True. It is something I considered. I wasn't around at the beginning of H5N1 and the resulting configuration, so I don't know how long/painful it was to condition folks to post in the appropriate place. In this case, the event may be well under control by the time people get used to posting in the relavent area.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Exodia
Swag Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodia View Post
In this case, the event may be well under control by the time people get used to posting in the relavent area.
Or maybe not...

bump for reconsideration
Old 05-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Ross
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,460 Times in 830 Posts
Given the current information blackout it is all speculation .

( Dontcha love the way politicians look after their own asses
when yours is on fire . )

“Gold is money. Everything else is credit.”

Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
DReynolds
irishisasirishdoes

We were told yesterday by TEPCO that there is a hole in the primary containment structure of Reactor 1. This means the water-tomb idea is out. The plans for stabilizing Reactor 1 are out. TEPCO now says the situation at Reactor 1 not expected to be stabilized for years.

So we do know that.
DReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Exodia
Swag Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Given the current information blackout it is all speculation .

( Dontcha love the way politicians look after their own asses
when yours is on fire . )
I think we can differentiate between a news report that gives actual data and facts from someone viewing a webcam or still pictures and determining from the color and shape of the smoke that the reactor exploeded.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
DReynolds
irishisasirishdoes

To some extent, the problem is the media. Yesterday's announcement was a BOMBSHELL. The primary containment of Reactor 1 has a hole in it several centimeters wide. It's useless. The plans to contain reactor 1 are now junked.

On the front page of the NYTIMES website today? Not a word. However, there is a very lengthy article on what the TV show the Office is gonna be like now that Will Ferrel is on it.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:22 AM   #9
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 2,675 Times in 1,577 Posts
WHAT?

I've been avoiding the Fukashima thread because of the difficulty telling news from spec & the last few days, hadn't made a point of trying to find news. I wasn't aware of the latest announcement re: #1.

That messes things up.

Well, I'm up way earlier that usual so might as well catch up on what's going on there.

Poor Japan...
Old 05-14-2011, 06:03 AM   #10
DReynolds
irishisasirishdoes

Exodia's link to the story:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...74B1H520110512
Old 05-14-2011, 06:09 AM   #11
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 2,675 Times in 1,577 Posts
Thanx DR - was taking care of some chores before starting to search. You've saved me some time.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,699 Times in 1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DReynolds View Post
We were told yesterday by TEPCO that there is a hole in the primary containment structure of Reactor 1. This means the water-tomb idea is out. The plans for stabilizing Reactor 1 are out. TEPCO now says the situation at Reactor 1 not expected to be stabilized for years.

So we do know that.
I remember saying this was the case when they were reading neutron beams after it started.

I also remember that some did not believe me. (About link 58 on the other thread.)

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fukushima, speculation