Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Our Leisure Time > Bookshelf

Bookshelf Discuss your favorite books here.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,623 Times in 997 Posts
Default New Jean Auel book

FINALLY.

Amazon
The pre release reviews aren't encouraging.

It looks like it will be like the last several books, much of it repeats from previous books, and repeats in itself.

Add in a lot of plot which is the same and a lot of Mother Earth poems.

Reports are that the Jondular turns into a jerk and Ayla reads like a different person.

Of course all of the fans will have to buy it to finish the series. (At her age and the time it takes to write a book another one is unlikely.)

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Potemkin

Well the sex scenes will be hot.

Maybe Ayla will invest an automobile, medical scanner, space ships or something this time.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

How many books are there now? I've read the first three. Maybe four.

It's been a while.
drummagick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
rootdiggr
Enjoying the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potemkin View Post
FINALLY.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/051...ouseinc1022-20

The pre release reviews aren't encouraging.

It looks like it will be like the last several books, much of it repeats from previous books, and repeats in itself.

Add in a lot of plot which is the same and a lot of Mother Earth poems.

Reports are that the Jondular turns into a jerk and Ayla reads like a different person.

Of course all of the fans will have to buy it to finish the series. (At her age and the time it takes to write a book another one is unlikely.)
TURNS?
rootdiggr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
Mama Alanna
First sign of spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootdiggr View Post
TURNS?
This is book #6. Auel needed a copy-editor really bad. Or maybe had a really bad copy-editor. How many times can you read things like "The young blonde woman skipped merrily down the green verdant hill, starred with early blooming whatsis and whosis, to the banks of the Great Mother River, heavy with silt washed down from the great plain by every small trickle and rivulet and stream" without tearing out your hair? Anyone else would have written "Ayla went down to the river." If it was absolutely necessary to the scene, you could make it "muddy river."

I like her books, but if most of this is a rehash of the other 5, and there's no satisfying conclusion (like what happened to Durc?) I may just skip it.
--Josh Billings
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Last edited by Mama Alanna; 02-13-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
rootdiggr
Enjoying the day

Yeah, I have not been impressed with Jondolar. How many times does he need to have the revelation that he is acting like a selfish pig?

I went ahead and read the Amazon reviews, and it does not look promising. I get the impression that there is not a meeting with Durc, nor do we find out about Ayla's parents. I had always assumed that those two issues would resolve themselves in the final book.

I got hooked on these books 30 years ago when I read "Valley of the Horses", who would have thought that it would take so long to finish the series?
Old 02-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
drummagick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Alanna View Post
How many times can you read things like "The young blonde woman skipped merrily down the green verdant hill, starred with early blooming whatsis and whosis, to the banks of the Great Mother River, heavy with silt washed down from the great plain by every small trickle and rivulet and stream" without tearing out your hair? .

Old 02-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,444 Posts
The original couple were good. Thinking of Homo whoeveris as thinking beings with complex cultures was pretty new & even though Auel had to have taken a lot of artistic licence, they were a fun read.

A couple of items about the series always grated on me. Here we have this comely, young, blonde babe with bonzo skills at everything. Superb huntress, basketweaver of much skill, an ability to take an outstanding mind trip on good drugs, not afraid to travel. Hell, she had a skill set that equated to Einstein by the 'standards' of the novel's time frame. nd yet, she ends up with the hots for a selfish pig. Go figure.

Then the books themselves. The further along you go, the less original writing appeared. Yoo much 'reminding' the readers of older events or probaby more accurately, trying to hook new ones.

Yeah, I'd like to know what happened to Durc & find out something about her parents.

Cheap biotch that I am, I'll wait for the book to be out & others to be disappointed. I can vicariously disappointed with dropping a dime.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
rootdiggr
Enjoying the day

The Kindle edition is 9.99, and I can pay for that out of my change bucket. No interest in getting this one in DTB. If it turns out that I can't live without it, I will pick it up later.

I remember my sister and I settling down with our new "Ayla" books. We each got our own copy, did not want to wait for someone to finish. That was probably Mammoth Hunters, or maybe Plains of Passage. Let's see. Teana died in 1993, and this was a couple of years earlier, so it had to be Plains of Passage. It does seem odd that with all of the repetition in the last couple of books, the time between publication keeps growing.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
Mama Alanna
First sign of spring

I heard somewhere that she's been seriously ill. So that might explain the huge gaps between the later books, and possibly much of the repetition. She just doesn't have the energy to repeat the extensive research trips that went into the early ones.

But Jondalar is one seriously selfish prick, sulking and pouting when any other man so much as looks at her. I think the reason that Auel made Zelandoni grow from Jondalars' sexy memories of her into a hugely fat woman was so that J wouldn't be torn between having the hots for Ayla AND Zelandoni.
--Josh Billings
Old 04-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #11
rootdiggr
Enjoying the day

Well, I finished the book this weekend. And I don't really think that it was quite as bad as the reviews made it out to be. But definitely in 6th place.

The final quarter or so of the book is what really did it in for me. There almost seemed to have been a change in authors. All of the characters became strangers. And the ending was just as abrupt as the reviews stated. Not in a "now you should be anxious for the next book" abrupt ending. More like "oops, did I forget to send the last chapters to the publisher" abrupt.

I am sorry that it all ended this way. But at least I still have the first few books to enjoy from time to time.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
Cactus Az
Member Level 5

I sure got tired of the seemingly endless repeats of that damned Mother`s Song. And, while I think cave art is fascinating, it sure was a lot of repeative stuff.

Glad I got it as an e-book, and didn`t buy the hardback.

A dissapointing end to a series.

But, at least I didn`t get the urge to throw something, like I did with the last Black Tower book.
Cactus Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
Mama Alanna
First sign of spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootdiggr View Post
The final quarter or so of the book is what really did it in for me. There almost seemed to have been a change in authors. All of the characters became strangers.
Jean Auel has been seriously ill for a number of years. It would not surprise me in the least to discover that somebody else wrote that last quarter, like an editor or agent.
--Josh Billings
Old 04-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
Potemkin

Quote:
It seems like Jean Auel has no idea about 'what happens next' or how to keep the story urgent, or exciting, or even just interesting. (Why she takes 8000 pages to NOT tell any sort of a story is beyond me.) It's all blahblah Ayla is foreign and blahblah Ayla is exotic and blahblah she invented everything and tames animals and heals all and her daughter is perfect too and Jondalar who? And then it's all blahblah cave paintings and blahblah more cave paintings and blahblah description exposition blah. Then there's another piece of utterly contrived marital blahblah we don't communicate conflict. Culminating in blahblah Ayla has a Revelation and Teaches Her Wisdom To All.

From the reviews.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
rootdiggr
Enjoying the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Az View Post
I sure got tired of the seemingly endless repeats of that damned Mother`s Song. And, while I think cave art is fascinating, it sure was a lot of repeative stuff.

Glad I got it as an e-book, and didn`t buy the hardback.

A dissapointing end to a series.

But, at least I didn`t get the urge to throw something, like I did with the last Black Tower book.
The mother song got beyond irritating. Nails on a chalkboard comes close. And descriptions of cave paintings leave me cold. At least these did.

I did not want to throw things. I just felt disappointed and somewhat cheated.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #16
Key
Member Level 4

I loved the first 3 books. The next 2 were just O.K. Based on this thread, I guess I won't bother with the last one. That's a shame.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Key For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (07-16-2012)
Old 04-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #17
Sysiphus
Senior Level 5

It turns out there was widespread mixing of Neandertals and Cro-magnon. So, pretty much the entire premise of her books is incorrect.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #18
Potemkin

Well, based on the reviews I think Auel introduces some space aliens who have come and captured Ayla and Jondalar.

That is the only way I can guess why the last 1/3 is written the way it is.

Marona gives Jondalar a BJ?

Ayla has a public sex scene with Laramar?

Jondalar goes postal and beats the hell out of Laramar like he did to that guy a long time ago?

Ayla takes the Clan root, ODs, and Jondalar's love brings her back? Now they love each other again and everything is cool?

Jondalar agrees to take care of Laramar's wife and children and now has a harem?

WTF?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #19
Potemkin

Best synopsis evar

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=603288

Ayla's baby (Jonayla *gag* I still hate that name. She can name the next one Crebuba or something equally bad. I shall call the baby Bad Name, or BN for short) is a few months old. Ayla is Zelandoni (Z1)'s apprentice. They're soon heading to the Summer Meeting again. But Z1 decides that Ayla has to start her Donier Tour (this is never explained, but appears to be a tour of the various sacred caves). That poem is repeated a couple of times. Z1, A, J and BN head off on the tour. Since Z1 is a Big Woman, they've made a seat so she can ride behind one of the horses (this has been referred to elsewhere as the Popemobile).

Of course, J is supportive and wonderful at taking care of BN. They visit some caves, A roars like a lion, whistles like a bird and finds her Voice (also never explained. Seems to be that tonal sound that will resonate at different points in caves so she knows where to look for paintings). There is an earthquake while they're touring. A freaks, but only one person is dead, and it's not one of their group so it's ok.

Fast forward 3-4 years. J, A, Z1, BN and some other people are going on the Major Tour this time: lots of caves. Lots of descriptions of caves (caves which represent vaginas and wombs, of course). BN is, like, an EXPERT horse rider of course, despite being 4 just 4 years old. At one cave a young woman who's mate has died wants to go home to mama, so she joins the group. They travel, visit caves, and get to where they're supposed to meet others from their group, but they haven't arrived at the cave yet. J, A and BN head out to see if they can find them. A helps with a measles outbreak, BN doesn't get it apparently.

Z1 and A are wise and help many people during all of this. J & A capture a group of marauding rapists/thieves. Z1 and A decide to poison him, but the group he's been hurting beats him to death after he tries to kill A (J stops this, of course). They go home eventually, bearing gifts, including a tea that's supposed to help people visit the spirit world.

A year(?) later. J, BN and the rest of the cave are heading to the summer meeting, but not A because she has to finish one of her trials. J's mama is also not going because she's old and sick. A finishes the trial, stays a few days longer to help deliver a baby and accidentally brews/drinks some of the tea that was given to them on the Grand Tour. She has a revelation that's another verse to the Very Long Song and that reveals that men are important to make babies. Oh, and she was pregnant, but miscarries and decides that the baby had to be given to the Mother in return for the gift of the revelation.

A takes off to the Summer Meeting once she recovers enough to do so, wanting to see J and Make A Baby with him. She gets there and catches him doing another woman. Not just ANY woman, but the bitchy Marona, who he was sort-of-but-not-really-promised to before he left with his brother. Also, two of the Mamutoi are there, Danug and Druwez, plus a Sarmunai who tells the story of A & J the Spirits Who Saved That One Sarmunai Camp. A & J don't talk, of course. She's all busy being inducted into the ranks of the Zelandoni and he's all mopey J, being a Sad Sack.

The Zelandoni make a ceremony for A to announce the new verse to the song with a festival afterward. Men will now get to name sons, women will name daughters and men will be called fathers of the children at their hearths. Men are all "but what if I didn't make them - that slut might have slept with someone else! I don't want to take care of someone else's children!!" and the Zelandoni are all "whatever, you still have to. They're born to your hearth." At the festival, because J & A are not talking, A sleeps with someone else, the drunk beer maker who doesn't take care of the kids at his hearth. J sees this and beats the shit out of him.

A doesn't talk to any one about this and how she feels. Z1 learns about the Root, the one that she's used in the past and convinces A to make it for the Zelandoni. Guess what happens? A is lost in the spirit world being told that it's all her fault the Mother is gone and only the Son remains. J has to bring her back again. They get back together, BN is happy about that and they plan to make another baby, maybe little Crebuba. J has to make reparations and since beer-maker has decided to leave the 9th cave, he will take care of his mate and children. But not as a second woman because he doesn't want anyone but A, not really.

That's the basic overview. There's lots of plant descriptions, walking through caves and less "but the Clan ARE people" than in previous books.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #20
Mama Alanna
First sign of spring

Thanks for the synopsis. I think I'll pass on this one. And I strongly suspect that someone other than Auel wrote that last third.
--Josh Billings
Old 05-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #21
kaneohegirl
Transplanted Cali/Hawaii girl...

yep
I am rather disappointed in this one as well I have read all the others this could have been such a great book...

WITHOUT all the mother song crap and endless descriptions of the caves who the frick cares describe one in depth detail and MOVE ON! get to the story! the book is the story of this imaginary couple not the anthropological dig sites of the caves of europe... about HALF of the book could have been edited out.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:35 PM   #22
Mama Alanna
First sign of spring

A brief synopsis from another board:

Quote:
Ayla hunts, breastfeeds, whips her naked baby out so it can pee, does some acoylte stuff, mother song mother song mother song, cave cave endless and boring introductions, cave cave cave, wolf poops in a cave, cave, cave, cave, cave, mammoth painting, red spots, cave cave cave mother song mother song, wierd acid trip, Jondalar becomes a big whiny baby and does something stupid "He's making my baby" Ayla does something stupid and becomes a big whiny baby, "Men are the fathers of babies" therein introducing sexism to the people, everyone makes up. The end.
--Josh Billings
Old 05-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #23
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

LOL. I love all the reviews.

Strangely, they do not make me want to read the fourth book..,

Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Auburn Boy For This Useful Post:
NowVoyager (07-16-2012)
Old 05-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #24
drummagick

I think I'll pass

Old 07-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #25
Potemkin

I just got it in paperback and read the first 20%.

Pitiful. Just pitiful.

You know Jean, you could try to write a book that stands on its own. No need to go back and explain everything in detail that was previously in other books.

Tags
auel, book, jean