Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Kitchen > Desserts

Old 06-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
Greta

Default Coconut Macaroons

4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup cake flour
3 cups shredded sweetened coconut

Mix egg whites and sugar with wire wisk. Heat over simmering pan of water in a heat proof bowl until lukewarm, soft and creamy. Use wire wisk to vigorously stir. Remove from heat. Wisk in vanilla extract. Sift in cake flour and mix well. Fold in coconut. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator until firm, at least 2 hours. Prepare baking sheet lined with parchment paper, or butter the pan, or use non-stick spray. Spoon by tablespoon or use ice cream scoop onto cookie sheet a few inches apart. Bake in preheated oven for 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool in pan 5-10 minutes, then transfer onto wire cooling rack.

I am thinking about trying this recipe. I bought a coconut at the grocery store. The last time I tried macaroons, they did not turn out very well. If I use this recipe, I will have to make some adjustments though. She uses sweetened coconut, mine will be fresh. Also, I don't have any cake flour; but I read on-line that I can use all-purpose flour and cornstarch as a substitute. And cracking the coconut, I am still trying to get better at that. So far, a hammer is what I use.

Last edited by Greta; 06-12-2011 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Added directions to recipe
Greta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Glenn 50
Member Level 5

Coconut Macaroons are recommended for folk who suffer from bowel inflamation. Gives gentle fiber and the coconut also has an anti inflamatory action.
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
Greta

Interesting...I have never heard that about macaroons.

Well, I cracked the coconut open. You definitely want to wear eye protection for that task. I wasn't sure about this coconut. The juice had a funny taste, and inside had a funny color. So I didn't take any chances because I don't want food poisoning. So I bought some sweetened coconut. The recipe is simple to make. The batter is in the refrigerator now chilling. I may leave it there until tomorrow, then bake in the morning.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #4
Greta

The macaroons turned out really great. With the second batch, I turned the oven up to 350 degrees. The first batch flattened out just a little, but when I turned the oven up, the second batch kept their shape much better. And they have a nice flavor so I am happy.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
flowerchild
Member Level 5

Try dipping them in a little dark chocolate and putting a almond on top. I do this sometimes when I make them.
flowerchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
Greta

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerchild View Post
Try dipping them in a little dark chocolate and putting a almond on top. I do this sometimes when I make them.
That sounds like a really good idea.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,104 Posts
Le Madeleine's have the best. Soft interior with a light brown crunchy exterior all over.

Too bad they stopped making them.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
rryan
Where the hell am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potemkin View Post
Le Madeleine's have the best. Soft interior with a light brown crunchy exterior all over.

Too bad they stopped making them.
My wife made the exact same ones. I don't eat that kind of stuff anymore but I will see if I can find the recipe.

It's still we the people, right?
rryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rryan View Post
My wife made the exact same ones. I don't eat that kind of stuff anymore but I will see if I can find the recipe.
SWEET!

Post! Post! Post!

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
Greta

I made more macaroons. The recipe is so easy. I am going to put these in the freezer and just pull one or two out at a time and let thaw on the counter for five minutes or so. But I have to be careful not to eat too many though.

Tags
coconut, macaroons