Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Technology

Technology Humans are tool-users, and technology is where our science becomes reality, giving us the powerful electronic and mechanical tools that mostly make our lives easier, yet more complex, and at times frustrating.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,622 Times in 996 Posts
Default Mobile networks near capacity, survey finds

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...y_survey_finds

Mobile networks near capacity, survey finds
By Stephen Lawson
July 18, 2011 08:55 PM ET
Add a comment

IDG News Service - Mobile networks in North America are filled to 80 percent of capacity, with 36 percent of base stations facing capacity constraints, according to a survey by investment bank Credit Suisse.

Networks in other regions also are more than 50 percent utilized, with the global average at 65 percent, Credit Suisse said after surveying carriers around the world. That level of use matches the average "threshold" rate that would trigger the service providers to start buying more network equipment, the report said. Looking ahead, on average the carriers expected their utilization rate to grow to 70 percent within 12 months.

Credit Suisse used the results to predict new sales by makers of cellular equipment, such as Ericsson, Alcatel-Lucent, Nokia Siemens Networks and Huawei Technologies. But at a certain level, heavy use of a base station can also affect the mobile experience of individual subscribers. The survey found that 23 percent of base stations worldwide had capacity constraints (defined as a utilization rate over 80 percent during busy hours), while 36 percent in North America were under that kind of pressure.

The North American networks were 72 percent utilized two years ago. The region's carriers expect the rate to ease back down to that point within two years. North American service providers are likely to buy more equipment soon, because having their networks 74 percent filled is the threshold rate in that region, the survey said.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

The telecoms are frantically building out their capacity as fast as humanly possible, it is not enough. They are pour in $billions$, and they are still getting deeper and deeper into the hole. The smartphone explosion, constantly advancing new technology and the avalanche of bandwidth-consuming new apps it burying them.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capacity, finds, mobile, networks, survey