Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Economy

Economy Economy discussion forum. Discuss the politics and effects of the general economy and global economic collapse here. Please keep all politics out of the Finance and Investment subforum.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
leistb
Senior Level 6

Default Blame it On The Weather: Poor Back to School Sales Because of Irene

In news we couldn't have seen coming; retail sales were down in August -the busy month for back to school shopping- because of Hurricane Irene.
leistb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Retail analysts on CNBC this morning thought that Irene may have cut 1% or less from forcast "back to school sales" nationwide..,

Not a very big impact on that sector of Retail.
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
leistb
Senior Level 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Boy View Post
Retail analysts on CNBC this morning thought that Irene may have cut 1% or less from forcast "back to school sales" nationwide..,

Not a very big impact on that sector of Retail.
I could begin to buy the argument that it had an impact on the states directly touched by Irene. I'm in CO and not one breath of wind nor one drop of rain from Irene was felt by any of us. Any argument about disruptions to supply channels as a result of Irene would have to be nonsense too as those inventories would most likely already have been in place at the time of her arrival. I think I'll call BS on that razor sharp analysis from CNBS.
leistb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
Auburn Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leistb View Post
I could begin to buy the argument that it had an impact on the states directly touched by Irene. I'm in CO and not one breath of wind nor one drop of rain from Irene was felt by any of us. Any argument about disruptions to supply channels as a result of Irene would have to be nonsense too as those inventories would most likely already have been in place at the time of her arrival. I think I'll call BS on that razor sharp analysis from CNBS.
Well, I'd also buy that "nationwide" was not the issue. But I agree with them that 1% is negligible. It's almost within statistical variance like less than 2 sigma..,

I think they were saying any reduction in the retail numbers was due to something OTHER THAN IRENE but was not significant enough to connect directly to the storm.

You are right, supply side would not hav been the issue. Back to school supplies have been in place since way-back, Mr. Peabody.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Coyote
Senior Level 2

I doubt it had anything to do with the weather. Probably just the usual variance in buying.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
Auburn Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
I doubt it had anything to do with the weather. Probably just the usual variance in buying.
My thoughts and those of CNBC as well..,

Old 09-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Maybe some parents are doing thier back to school shopping like I did. I didn't wait until the last minutes and then go nuts shopping. I would buy a little at a time all year long and the only things that were left to right before school starting was thier shoes. Thier feet grew so fast I had to wait so they would fit.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:32 AM   #8
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

We didn't buy much this year. The kids are in high school now, so the school supply lists have dropped to basics. Except for a few pair of jeans for the one that's now talller than I am, and one pair of gym shoes, we were good. I did splurge and buy them a few shirts, and of course the mandatory socks and undies. It's really good when they stop growing...they can wear last year's coats, boots, shoes, etc. Finally! With jobs, though, they end up buying clothes all year, any way.

Just when did this back to school shopping start? I know it was a big deal when I was growing up in the 70s.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back, blame, irene, poor, sales, school, weather