Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News

News This is the forum where we post hard news and current events. If it is outside the box then that is where it goes. If it is your opinion, please write in the Op/Ed forum.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Catbird
Senior Level 4

Thanked 1,329 Times in 715 Posts
Default 1.4 million without power in SoCal

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ll-friday.html

"More than 1.4 million customers lost power during a blackout in the San Diego area, and utility officials said power might not be fully restored until Friday.

San Diego Gas and Electric said the outage appears to have originated in Arizona and that the agency is working with California power officials to bring the power back. Officials said the outages extended across Southern California and into Arizona and Baja California...."
Old 09-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
leistb
Senior Level 6

Source:

Quote:
An SDG&E official just stated, "We expect power to be out well into the night and into tomorrow in some areas."

An event happened between Arizona and California to cause both major connections to the region to lose connection. Major connectors in the region have been severed, causing the outage. The extreme heat in some areas also may have caused some problems with the lines, according to SDG&E.

"Essentially we have two connections from the rest of the world: One of from the north and one is to the east. Both connections are severed," said the SDG&E official.
leistb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,721 Times in 1,051 Posts
Default Power out in San Diego

Has it started?

1.8mil people without power.

The two lines, one north, one east have been "cut".

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...129493378.html

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Gridlock.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/blackout/

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
Nightowl
Member Level 2

Default Massive Power Outage in S. California

Forbes

Quote:
A power outage is affecting millions of people across southern California, Arizona and Mexico. San Diego Gas & Electric Co. Darcel Hulce said that crews Thursday believe the outage was caused by a system breakdown and assured people it was not the result of a terror attack.

All outgoing flights from San Diego's Lindbergh Field have been halted and police stations are using generators to accept emergency calls.
Here's a link to the California ISO - that's a huge chunk of power that just went offline for California.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Oops, dup. Could a moderator either merge this into the other thread or delete this one? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
ltow
lurker level 3.14

has what started?

the article says line severed but not terror related - so maybe it was just some doofus who backed a school bus into a power line? (off the wall guess)
Old 09-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Twoolf
Searcher for Truth and a good Carpachio

They are saying weather related. When the temp gets high, the lines sag. Eventually it snaps, causing a cascade across the system.

“The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
~1797 - John Adams

Our Gods are dead. Klingion Warriors slew them eons ago. They were more trouble than they were worth. Worf
Twoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
rb.
Hey, USA, you're not the boss of me!

Oooo...that's a drag. The eastern part of the continent understands.
rb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
Catbird
Senior Level 4

I'm hoping that the "severed" thing was just an unfortunate word choice.

Bloomberg is reporting: "...A 500-kilovolt electric transmission line carrying power from Arizona went down, said Don Boland, executive director of the California Utilities Emergency Association, which coordinates response to major power failures..."
Old 09-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
Twoolf

"Severed" gets more hits than "failed"

“The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
~1797 - John Adams

Our Gods are dead. Klingion Warriors slew them eons ago. They were more trouble than they were worth. Worf
Old 09-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
Catbird
Senior Level 4

Yeah, cuz 1 and a half million people without power isn't sensational enough.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
leistb
Senior Level 6

What time does the looting start?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #12
Twoolf

An hour ago. You missed it. Al the good stuff is gone.

~1797 - John Adams

Old 09-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #13
leistb
Senior Level 6

Damn it.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #14
Twoolf

MIght be some booze and oxy left in the burbs...

~1797 - John Adams

Old 09-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
sandyd
Beach Fun

The sun has not even set yet. SoCal folks don't loot during daylight beach hours. Get real!!!

The only way to win is to not play...(like global thermal nuclear war).
sandyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #16
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

Ahhhh 1992, a fine year for gettin yo loot on.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #17
Catbird
Senior Level 4

Oops!!

From Arizona Public Service news release at http://www.aps.com/main/news/releases/release_673.html

"Cause of Widespread Outage Under Investigation
APS Works to Restore Service to Customers in Yuma Area

September 8, 2011

PHOENIX – At approximately 3:30 pm today, the North Gila – Hassayampa 500 kV transmission line near Yuma, Ariz., tripped off line resulting in a major power outage across southwest Arizona and into Southern California. Among APS customers, approximately 56,000 lost service throughout Yuma, Somerton, San Luis and Gadsden. APS is in the process of restoring service to customers in these communities.

The outage appears to be related to a procedure an APS employee was carrying out in the North Gila substation, which is located northeast of Yuma. Operating and protection protocols typically would have isolated the resulting outage to the Yuma area. The reason that did not occur in this case will be the focal point of the investigation into the event, which already is under way..."

Last edited by Catbird; 09-09-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #18
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/09/09/cal...rss_topstories

Quote:
At the height of the power outage, nearly 5 million people in California were believed to be without power, according to a calculation provided by the California ISO, the state's power grid operator. That number includes about 1.4 million customers, or 3.5 million people, who were without power in San Diego County, SDG&E spokeswoman Jennifer Ramp told CNN.
Quote:
By early Friday morning, power had been restored to 710,000 consumers in San Diego County, the utility said. Power was back on late Thursday for consumers in Arizona and California's Orange and Imperial counties.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #19
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/na...129599288.html

A minor repair, a massive blackout
---

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...-blackout.html

San Diego tap water declared safe; boil warning lifted
Quote:
The water in all San Diego neighorhoods is again safe to drink without boiling, Mayor Jerry Sanders announced Sunday morning.

In the aftermath of Thursday's regional blackout, residents in eight neighborhoods were warned that tap water should be boiled before being used for drinking or cooking.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #20
sandyd
Beach Fun

No riots to speak of.....what is this world coming to with blackouts and no good looting!

The only way to win is to not play...(like global thermal nuclear war).
sandyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #21
oldasrocks
Member Level 5

They're getting lazy and expect the goods to be delivered by FEMA
oldasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #22
ltow
lurker level 3.14

Hahahaha
we live in the modern age - cannot riot without cell phones - no cell phones, no "flash mobs"
Old 09-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #23
Twoolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltow View Post
Hahahaha
we live in the modern age - cannot riot without cell phones - no cell phones, no "flash mobs"
That may hold more truth than you think.....

~1797 - John Adams

Tags
california, diego, massive, million, outage, power, san, socal