Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Preparedness > Armory

Armory Our modern, fully-stocked armory is where enthusiasts gather to discuss shooting and other martial arts, and related subjects.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Samen
unregistered

Default Russia says no to Kalashnikovs

This year has seen the end of the longstanding tradition. Russia's Defense Ministry has decided to completely refuse from purchasing the legendary AK-74 rifles. The country has too many Kalashnikovs and they are outdated. Well, we only can say that bow and arrows used to be considered the world's best weapons that man has ever created

Russia says no to Kalashnikovs
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Pravada is a sub-tabloid-level publication. Take nothing they say as fact.

The truth in this case is that the Russian military is perfectly happy with their AK-74s, but they have enough of them in their armory at this point to not only provide one for everyone in their military, but also have several million extras. The only reason they are not buying them is that they already have far more of them than they could ever use.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Hamilton Felix
Part Time Good Guy

Isn't the AK74 the "improved" AK that shoots the 5.45x39 - their answer to our 5.56 varmint round battle rifle?

Frankly, as a native of the heavily forested Pacific NorthWet, I think I'd go with the older AK47 and the 7.62x39 round.

I don't mean I'm going to trade my M1A for one, but if I were limited to Russian weapons....

Actually, it would be fun to own a Dragunov rifle and the "sniper" ammo made just for that rifle.
America has ten times too many police, a hundred times too many citizens unwilling to take responsibility for their own defense and the consequences of their own actions, a thousand times too many politicians who wrongly believe they have the right to tell others how to live their lives, and a million times too many illegal aliens.
Hamilton Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
Isn't the AK74 the "improved" AK that shoots the 5.45x39 - their answer to our 5.56 varmint round battle rifle?
Yes. There is also an RPK-74, also in 5.45x39mm, which is a beefed-up AK with a long barrel & bipod used as a SAW.
----------
Quote:
Frankly, as a native of the heavily forested Pacific NorthWet, I think I'd go with the older AK47 and the 7.62x39 round.
That is what I have. I am not really too interested in getting a 5.45x39mm weapon.
----------
Quote:
I don't mean I'm going to trade my M1A for one, but if I were limited to Russian weapons....
I have both.
----------
Quote:
Actually, it would be fun to own a Dragunov rifle and the "sniper" ammo made just for that rifle.
Nice weapon, but most of the 'Dragunovs' here are not the real deal, but instead are the Romanian Romak PSLs, sold by Century Arms as the Romak-3. There are a few Russian and Chinese Druganov SVDs around, but they are rare and expensive.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #5
Samen
unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
Pravada is a sub-tabloid-level publication. Take nothing they say as fact.
LOL

I remember the few time's i had the old printed Pravda in my hands, scary.

Now days its a "Reader take all responsibility" thingy but somehow i stumble on it a few times a year and some of the stories there might have (at occasions) something in them that that warrants a looking into.
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 2,564 Times in 1,515 Posts
I had a look through Pravda yesterday after reading your link. It comes across as a cross between Weekly World News & National Enquiror with Sorscha Faal as Chief Editor.

Tags
kalashnikovs, russia