Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow Chilean Model of Social Security

http://www.freedomworks.org/blog/cbi...ocial-security
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
dharma
balrog

Makes far too much sense. The Democrats would fight it tooth and nail; the Republicans would water it down. "Let Joe Six Pack make his own investment decisions? Are you mad?"
dharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
flowerchild
Member Level 5

That leaves a bit of information out. You may or may not get it, if you are poor or disabled. Most of the time, you get nothing. Ask the Chilean miners, the goverment promised them help, and they got nothing.
flowerchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerchild View Post
That leaves a bit of information out. You may or may not get it, if you are poor or disabled. Most of the time, you get nothing.
With our social security system, if you are poor and do not generate much income, you get almost nothing back. That is because it is supposed to be a savings plan, where you contribute a percentage of your income and get it back later. Apparently you mistakenly think that social security is some kind of pure welfare system. And you are also confusing it with a disability program like SSI.
----------
Quote:
Ask the Chilean miners, the goverment promised them help, and they got nothing.
Why are you mixing in this with social security? The miners were trapped for months, and the government promised them some back pay for the period they were trapped. That deal was not social security. It had absolutely nothing at all to do with social security.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,467 Times in 928 Posts
Quote:
That leaves a bit of information out. You may or may not get it, if you are poor or disabled. Most of the time, you get nothing. Ask the Chilean miners, the goverment promised them help, and they got nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
With our social security system, if you are poor and do not generate much income, you get almost nothing back. That is because it is supposed to be a savings plan, where you contribute a percentage of your income and get it back later. Apparently you mistakenly think that social security is some kind of pure welfare system. And you are also confusing it with a disability program like SSI.
I think 06 is correct.

If you never work a quarter in your life and say live with your parents, or someone else, you will never collect on Social Security.

If you are married and never work, and your husband dies then you collect off your husbands Social Security.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
flowerchild
Member Level 5

Their system is different. They are included in it. This is where I read it at-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pensions_in_Chile
The Chile Pension system (Spanish: Sistema Previsional) refers to old-age, disability and survivor pensions for workers in Chile.
snip

Government's responsibilityThe establishment and the operation of the private pension funds are regulated by law. For e.g. any pension fund must deposit minimum reserves. The types of investments that are permitted are defined by law. The compliance of the private pension funds are supervised by a government regulator, the Superintendencia de AFP. [8]

There are government guarantees for the following cases: [9]

1.All citizens who have contributed to a fund for at least 20 years are guaranteed a minimum pension. The difference between the minimum pension and the pension entitlement from the investment fund is paid by government.
2.If a pension fund is unable to perform a defined minimum profit, it will be liquidated and the collected assets will be transferred to another fund. In this case, the government solves the assets gap.
3.In case of bankruptcy of a pension fund the government pays out the pensions on public expenses.
The government pays a fixed amount as social assistance for those citizens who are not even entitled to minimum pension, the Pensiones Asistenciales (PASIS). But the provided amount of money is usually not nearly big enough to cover all people in need

(edited to add- I think this covers workers who are hurt on the job- that is why I mentioned the miners and why they aren't getting any help)

Last edited by flowerchild; 10-10-2011 at 06:43 AM.
flowerchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Their system is different. They are included in it. This is where I read it at-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pensions_in_Chile
The Chile Pension system (Spanish: Sistema Previsional) refers to old-age, disability and survivor pensions for workers in Chile.
snip

Government's responsibilityThe establishment and the operation of the private pension funds are regulated by law. For e.g. any pension fund must deposit minimum reserves. The types of investments that are permitted are defined by law. The compliance of the private pension funds are supervised by a government regulator, the Superintendencia de AFP. [8]

There are government guarantees for the following cases: [9]

1.All citizens who have contributed to a fund for at least 20 years are guaranteed a minimum pension. The difference between the minimum pension and the pension entitlement from the investment fund is paid by government.
2.If a pension fund is unable to perform a defined minimum profit, it will be liquidated and the collected assets will be transferred to another fund. In this case, the government solves the assets gap.
3.In case of bankruptcy of a pension fund the government pays out the pensions on public expenses.
The government pays a fixed amount as social assistance for those citizens who are not even entitled to minimum pension, the Pensiones Asistenciales (PASIS). But the provided amount of money is usually not nearly big enough to cover all people in need

(edited to add- I think this covers workers who are hurt on the job- that is why I mentioned the miners and why they aren't getting any help)
Again, that would be disability, not social security. The law you posted above is entirely about the government pension program; what we call Social Security.

Tags
chilean, model, security, social