Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Our Leisure Time > TV, Movies and Music

TV, Movies and Music Discuss your favorite television shows, movies, and music here.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,496 Posts
Default 'All American Muslim' Starts Tonight

An eight part series on being Muslim in America. I've seen a couple of trailers for this - very short ones & it looks really interesting. The show focuses on Americans of Lebanese background who follow the Shia branch of Islam & who live in Deafborne which, if memory serves me right, has one of the highest cncentrations of followers of Islam in America. What I'm looking forward to seeing is the varius degrees & types of adherence to Shia Islam as practiced by those featured in the series.

The other major faiths with which I'm passingly familiar also have sects who adhere more or less strictly to different facets of the faith & individuals certainly do. Listening to people explain their practices & their own reasons for doing so should prove educational.

On The Learning Channel, (TLC) at ten tonight.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...tlc/51170778/1
Old 11-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Auburn Boy
Denizen of the Gold Fields

Could be interesting..,

Might be "Liberal MSM Pandering."

We'll have to see how it rings out.

edit: I might have to record it, as it probably interferes with "Once Upon a Time."
Can't leave the Siwwy Wabbit behind!!
Auburn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
D. Gale
Make a Wish

Fair warning: TLC is also home to "Extreme Couponing," "19 Kids and Counting", and that perennial TBM favorite, "Toddlers and Tiaras."
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,496 Posts
I hope it's more along the lines of a rational discussion about how a certain subset of American Muslims LIVE & integrate their faith into their day to day lives. Most of what I read, see & hear about Islam is what the extreme element is doing. Bombings here, beheadings & betrayals there...

With 1.5 billion adherents & growing quickly, I want to know attracts people to Islam; what makes them take up a faith with such a bad rap. What are they looking for, what do they think they've found in Islam? Modern, integrated Americans - what keeps them in the faith - especially those who practice their faith?

I'm hoping the series sheds light on some of these questions from at least the point of view of thse who participated in the filming.

Tags
american, muslim, starts, tonight