Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Science Center > Environmental News

Environmental News Discuss weather, climate, and earth changes here.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow New Icelandic volcano eruption could have global impact

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15995845
Quote:
Katla is part of a volcanic zone that includes the Laki craters. In 1783 volcanoes in the area erupted continuously for eight months, generating so much ash, hydrogen fluoride and sulphur dioxide that it killed one in five Icelanders and half of the country's livestock.

"And it actually changed the Earth's climate," says Mr Cochran.

"Folks talk about a nuclear winter - this eruption generated enough sulphuric acid droplets that it made the atmosphere reflective, cooled the planet for an entire year or more and caused widespread famine in many places around the globe.

"One certainly hopes that Katla's eruption will not be anything like that!"
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
linttrap
it's time for the Guillotine, again

Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,416 Posts
I (and others on this board) monitor a volcano blog by an Icelander, frequented by many Icelanders, who all seem to be particularly knowledgeable about volcanoes. I guess living in a small country where there is a volcano everywhere you look compels you to develop a higher level of understanding.

They don't think much of this article by the BBC and have quite a bit to say if anyone is interested in what the locals think.

http://www.jonfr.com/volcano/?p=1877

“When you hear ‘no immediate danger‘ from nuclear radiation then you should run away as far and as fast as you can.”
-Alexey Yablokov, member of the Russian academy of sciences and adviser to President Gorbachev at the time of Chernobyl
linttrap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
Ross
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,397 Times in 796 Posts
If it is under a glacier then presumably there exists potential
for a sequence of massive steam explosions ??

“Gold is money. Everything else is credit.”
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eruption, global, icelandic, impact, volcano