Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News > MidEast Turmoil

MidEast Turmoil The world has its eyes on the uprisings in Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan and Syria. TBM has created a special forum for up to the minute news and discussion of rapidly changing events.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Catbird
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,739 Times in 923 Posts
Default At least 50 dead in Egypt; riot and fire at Port Said stadium

Early reports are saying that fans became angry after a match was cancelled. Somehow, in the ensuing riot, a fire was started in the stadium. The reports of the death toll started at 7 earlier this afternoon and are still climbing.

"Fifty killed in Egypt soccer pitch invasion: ministry"

Quote:
"At least 50 people were killed after a soccer pitch invasion in the Egyptian city of Port Said, health ministry sources said, raising the official estimate of the death count from 25."

Dr. Michael Osterholm, CIDRAP: "The virus is moving on virus time; we're moving on bureaucracy time."

Last edited by Catbird; 02-01-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: correct title
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Catbird
Senior Level 5

Death toll climbing fast.

via Twitter:
"Update: Death toll in Egypt's soccer violence in Port Said rises to 73, health ministry official tells state TV - @Reuters"

Dr. Michael Osterholm, CIDRAP: "The virus is moving on virus time; we're moving on bureaucracy time."
Old 02-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Sysiphus
Senior Level 5

So much anger simmering under the surface.
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Catbird
Senior Level 5

Over 1,000 people injured. There were actually 2 separate incidents. The large riot at Port Said, and a 2nd smaller one at a Cairo stadium that included a fire.

This is just so senseless. And it's beyond tragic.

Reuter's:

Quote:
"Violence at football matches across north Africa has increased significantly since political unrest sweeping across the region began more than a year ago.

Wednesday's trouble flared at the end of a match when Port Said team al-Masry beat Al Ahli, one of Egypt's most successful clubs, 3-1.

Live television footage showed fans running onto the field and chasing Ahli players. A small group of riot police formed a corridor to try to protect the players, but they appeared overwhelmed and fans were still able to kick and punch the players as they fled.

...Another match in Cairo was halted by the referee after receiving news of the violence in Port Said, prompting fans to set parts of the stadium on fire, television footage showed."

Old 02-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

From what I saw on the idiot box, the fans of the winning team attacked the fans of the losing team. People ripped iron bars, pipes, fixtures and anything else that could be pried loose off of the stadium building and grounds, and use them as improvised weapons. There were some stab wounds and almost no gunshot wounds. The dead mostly had their skulls bashed in. This was a pure stone age mass clubbing attack.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
Mayerling
Member Level 4

The families of those injured and killed are now blaming the armed forces and security/police forces of not responding quickly enough or at all. Businesses around Tahrir Square were dismissed early yesterday due to anticipated demonstrations which did occur with between 250-500 people injured. We expect further trouble today after the noon prayers.
Mayerling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Catbird
Senior Level 5

I had started this thread in the News forum, because initially it didn't seem to be based on the ongoing political turmoil. But if it wasn't then, it is now.

So, Mods - please feel free to move it to the MidEast Turmoil subforum. Thanks.

"Five killed and more than 1,700 wounded in street clashes over authorities' failure to stop Port Said football violence"

2 were killed in riots in Suez where police used live ammo and the others in Cairo. Most of the injuries appear to be from tear gas.

Stay safe, Mayerling!

The Following User Says Thank You to Catbird For This Useful Post:
Mayerling (02-05-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,811 Posts
Oaky, give me a minute to find my brainz...
Old 02-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
Sonny
Senior Level 4

Riots in Egypt Continue: At Least 12 Dead, 2500 Injured

Voice of America - ‎1 hour ago‎

February 04, 2012 Riots in Egypt Continue: At Least 12 Dead, 2500 Injured VOA News Protesters in Egypt faced off with police in the capital, Cairo, and other cities for a third straight day Saturday in clashes that have left at least 12 people dead and

!
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cairo, dead, egypt, fire, riot, stadium