Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Medical News

Medical News News, information and discussions about health issues, medicine and biotechnology.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow Little-known brain disease rips apart lives of victim, loved ones

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,5574998.story
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
linttrap
it's time for the Guillotine, again

Thanked 6,193 Times in 2,676 Posts
This is better known as Pick's Disease and there is a lot more info about it if you look for it under that name. It is often the differential for Alzheimer's when people start showing early signs of dementia. There are some symptoms in common but more that aren't.

Pick's actually has more symptoms like a typical head-in-motion TBI, in that personality, impulse control, judgement and higher order reasoning are very affected.

Rapidly progressing frontal tumors also can show these symptoms but they can be quickly identified when a CAT or MRI is done.

But it resembles Alzheimer's in that it is incurable and progressively deteriorating. The onset is late, just as most Alzheimers is late in life, but symptoms in the 50s and 60s can occur.

Nasty disease, because it destroys social relationships, often a long time before it is finally diagnosed.

“When you hear ‘no immediate danger‘ from nuclear radiation then you should run away as far and as fast as you can.”
-Alexey Yablokov, member of the Russian academy of sciences and adviser to President Gorbachev at the time of Chernobyl
linttrap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

My aunt had this. It is extremely hard for a family to cope with. The body becomes a shell and eventually even basic automatic responses stop functioning. Usually those diagnosed with this disease often choke to death because the ability to finish swallowing is lost.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
sandyd
Beach Fun

Quote:
Nasty disease, because it destroys social relationships, often a long time before it is finally diagnosed.
Yep, people will be sure the person who is actually ill, is just a jerk and should 'get help'

I don't understand how so few understand who we are really IS in our brain.

The only way to win is to not play...(like global thermal nuclear war).
sandyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain, disease, littleknown, lives, loved, rips, victim