Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Technology > Personal Security and Privacy

Personal Security and Privacy Technology brings us tools to greatly improve our security, in the home, on the road, walking around and online. But the government has these tools and much more. As we move towards a total surveillance society, where our every move is watched, measured and recorded, and every scrap of data about us is collected and used to profile us by corporations and governments, privacy has become a critical issue.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
D. Gale
Make a Wish

Default Do Not Track Plus -- web tracking blocker

DH just sent me a link for this and I've installed it for Firefox. He's using it in Chrome and said it's blocked 363 trackers in about 24 hours.

http://www.abine.com/dntdetail.php?
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,467 Times in 928 Posts
Quote:
Opt-out Tools: Use cookies to store a user’s preference not to receive online behavioral advertising. (DAA Consumer Choice, Evidon Global Opt-Out, PrivacyMark)
Web browsers: All major browsers include options to transmit Do Not Track headers to websites to signal that a user does not wish to be tracked. among their settings. (Internet Explorer and Firefox)
Blocking tools: Block communication with websites matching entries on a Tracking Protection List. (Ghostery, TACO, AdBlock Plus, and IE9 Tracking Protection)
Ghostery and Ad Block Plus is the ones I hear about the most.

Haven't tried any of them.

----
Behavioral marketing: Why Johnny can't opt-out
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/sec...cussion-thread

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blocker, track, tracking, web