Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Technology > Military Technology

Military Technology The technology of death and destruction keeps us safe, while at the same time it is a threat to the human race itself. The fruit of military research frequently becomes the consumer products and safety equipment of tomorrow. Advances in this field affect us all.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
RobT20
Pirate Penguin

Default New Bomber Program 'Underway' But Cloaked in Secrecy

http://defense.aol.com/2012/02/24/ne...ed-in-secrecy/

"Homework is killing trees, stop the madness !"

Rule #5 “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon”
RobT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

This should go in Military Technology.

I have been following the new bomber program for a while now with great interest. Our current fleet cannot last forever, and the number of B-2s is quite small.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
Hamilton Felix
Part Time Good Guy

Not to mention, if I recall correctly, the supersonic B-1 was downgraded to become the slower and less capable B1-B.

We've been a world leader in military technology for so long that we've forgotten what it's like to play second fiddle. I think we may be about to learn. We certainly can't just sit and coast forever.
America has ten times too many police, a hundred times too many citizens unwilling to take responsibility for their own defense and the consequences of their own actions, a thousand times too many politicians who wrongly believe they have the right to tell others how to live their lives, and a million times too many illegal aliens.
Hamilton Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
Not to mention, if I recall correctly, the supersonic B-1 was downgraded to become the slower and less capable B1-B.
That is not really correct. The B-1 was originally designed to be a fast high-altitude somewhat stealthy aircraft. Advances in RADAR and SAM technology rendered that mission profile unsurvivable for the B-1A. The Air Force changed the mission profile of the bomber to a low-level terrain-hopping penetration bomber, and in the redesign chose more stealth over more speed.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Hamilton Felix
Part Time Good Guy

Thanks, that makes a bit more sense. I still like supersonic capability, though.
America has ten times too many police, a hundred times too many citizens unwilling to take responsibility for their own defense and the consequences of their own actions, a thousand times too many politicians who wrongly believe they have the right to tell others how to live their lives, and a million times too many illegal aliens.
Hamilton Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

Keep in mind, the B-1B is still capable of Mach 1.25. If we upgrade them to the proposed B-1R profile, they will get new P&W F119 engines and hit about Mach 2.2, albiet with a loss range of about 20%. If we finally get a new tanker, this may not be that big a deal compared to the increased capabilities of the R program. This will include an air-to-air capability.

"When the enemy is in range, so are you!" - Murphy
كافر & Proud
Glockd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockd View Post
Keep in mind, the B-1B is still capable of Mach 1.25.
The aircraft can only go supersonic at high altitude, and burns hideous amounts of fuel to do so. It is a capability that exists, but is never used operationally.
----------
Quote:
If we upgrade them to the proposed B-1R profile, they will get new P&W F119 engines and hit about Mach 2.2, albiet with a loss range of about 20%. If we finally get a new tanker, this may not be that big a deal compared to the increased capabilities of the R program. This will include an air-to-air capability.
The B-1R absolutely will not happen with the present administration. It might happen if we get a different person in the Oval Office in January, 2013.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:46 AM   #8
Sysiphus
Senior Level 5

Aurora?
Sysiphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #9
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysiphus View Post
Aurora?
That is a supposed high altitude transonic recon aircraft program from a couple decades ago. No word on if it really even exists.

Tags
bomber, cloaked, program, secrecy, underway