Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Economy > The Great Real Estate Swindle

The Great Real Estate Swindle All things related to the housing debacle including sub-prime lending practices, foreclosure fraud, MERS, REMICS and banking and political malfeasance.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Antropologo
Shufflin'

Default Housing Market Even Worse Than Thought

They have to revise the home sales figures downwards going back to '07.

http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/20...sales-revised/
Antropologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Home prices fell in December in most US cities

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/28...ost-us-cities/
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Malcolm
Senior Level 2

Its "world news" . Saw it in morning T.V. in Australia.
I suppose the "vibrations" are global
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Foreclosure Starts Jump 28%, Sales Up 29% in January 2012

http://www.economicpopulist.org/cont...9-january-2012
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Foreclosures squeezing US home prices and sales

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/articl...es-3505453.php
Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,497 Posts
It's a tough read. I'd be very hesitant to try for a short sale as a buyer. If I understand correctly, the process can take months, many months & for buyers who have to move - military & civilian job related moves... they may not have the time or the luxury of uncertainty.

Foreclosures? Not without an excellent home inspection & a thorough research into the neighbourhood. No matter how good a deal on the surface, what's the neighbourhood like? Is it dying or in desious decline or did 'your' foreclosed house simply happen to a family who's SOL? What liens might be on the property? What kind of repair bills are you looking at in both cases? Not many people who are walking away from their homes bother with minor repairs & maintentance. By the time you move in, that ignored minor issue may have become major.

So for those willing to gamble - young couples struggling to get on the first rung of the real estate ladder if they're playing that game, those looking for & willing to put money into a 'forever home', those with an eye to flipping who know what they're doing - okay.

But what percentage of the buying market does that represent? Buying a home is stressful enough & nervous buyers in today's economy might prefer the higher level of safety involved in buying a new built home, (assuming it's a reputable builder), or a home being sold on under one of many normal circumstances?

Guess we'll just have to wait & see what the new build market turns out to be this year as well as regular resales. I'm not sure I believe matters are about to become healthier looking.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Why U.S. house prices won’t recover

Taking inflation into account, home prices are down to 1895 levels

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why...-05-01-1225310

Tags
housing, market, thought, worse