Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Nutrition, Exercise and Weight Control

Nutrition, Exercise and Weight Control Keeping our bodies fit and at optimal performance levels.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #526
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I hit the gym today for the weights, bike, and stepper routine, followed by 3 rounds in the sauna. It's zombie time now.

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #527
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I really was planning on taking it easy today with my jogging, but the was so pretty, and we hardly had any wind. I got carried away, and jogged for 40 min. To make it up to my muscles and joints, I went to the gym afterwards for 3 rounds in the sauna.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #528
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 1,318 Times in 762 Posts
Both yesterday and today we went for a long hike in the woods. Yesterday it was here on my land and today it was on Max's . Both terrains are hilly and we had to do quite a bit of brush busting along with some stream jumping. It was great!

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #529
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I worked out at the gym today. Same routine as usual, but without the sauna due to lack of time.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #530
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I went jogging today and pinched a nerve somewhere. I've got pain all along my left lower body. I tried to turn and stretch my spine to release the nerve, but no go. I went to the gym afterwards, did my routine, which was not a problem, and had a round in the sauna in the hopes that it would help...nope. I think I am too damned old and decrepit for jogging.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #531
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

My back was good after sleeping with my legs elevated. When I got up, I did some floor exercises for my stomach and back muscles. I need to build up some more strength there it seems.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #532
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I got some new exercises added to my routine at the gym yesterday. I am really sore today.

Edit to add:

It was soooo embarrassing yesterday. I was supposed to do this new exercise for the lower abs. I lie on my back with my legs stretched together straight in the air, and in this position, I am supposed to lift my hips an inch off the floor. It didn't happen. I was so grounded, as if my @ss had super glue on it.

Just when I think I am getting fit, and feeling good about myself...reality sets in.

Last edited by Mousehound; 03-06-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #533
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I think I'll try these instead for my lower abs next time.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #534
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 3,214 Times in 1,823 Posts
But YOU will eventually be able to do it. It's a PROGRESSIVE journey & sometimes, the road gets a bit muddy is all.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #535
Thymeless
Member Level 2

Hi Mouse...forget if I read how old you are...but I'm 67 (how I got here from there..dunno)..

I've just started a gym thing...included in my add'l health supplement...water aerobics..I am NOT a water baby, and don't
like swim things, but this one is great!..gentle excerises ..water resistance...very gentle

Just fyi...:}
Thymeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #536
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Thy., I'm going to be 45 this year. I don't do pool stuff anymore. I use to, but it never brought me much. I never tried water aerobics though to be honest.

Today I hit the gym big time. I had a big load of frustration that I needed to work off, or sweat out. I spent 4 hours there including 3 rounds in the sauna, and a shower. I just needed some me time. I happened to meet one of our nurses there in the sauna later, which was fun. We have been going to the same gym for years, and never met each other there.

Anyway, my workout was hard core for me. I added leg curls and extensions to help strengthen my legs/knees for running, as I've been having knee issues lately. I also did all the new exercises from Monday for the gluteus maximus, and abs (lower, upper, and obliques). Then I did the exercises from my original routine. I had 5 grueling minutes on the stepper for my lower back. I have to do that with straight legs, and only use the steps by rocking my hips, without sinking of course. If I do it too slowly, I sink. Then I have 8 minutes with the arm bicycle, 4 min. pulling, and 4 min. pushing = 8 min. of dripping sweat. Then for fun and relaxation, I did 40 min. of interval training on the stationary bike. I sweat buckets, and should probably drink another bottle of water. Mentally, I really needed that, but tomorrow will be a day of pain...I mean day of rest.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #537
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I had my last gym day this week until next Wed., as I have to work 4 nights. I really went gung ho. 20 min. of interval training on the stat. bike, 5 min. hyper-stepper, 8 min. arm bike, 1 hr. weight training, 20 min. of stomach exercises, 30 min. jogging on the treadmill, stretching, and sauna.

If all goes well, I hope to go jogging after work Sun. morning.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #538
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

30 min. of jogging around the lake this morning. It was great weather for it, and felt good. I met an older woman (all gray hair) out there this morning. She was walking ahead of me. I swear she can walk faster than I can, and when I passed her, I told her how impressive she was. Hat off to that lady.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #539
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Due to 2 days of almost non-stop sleeping after my bought of night shifts, I finally hit the gym yesterday. Today I can't move much. It included weights, floor exercises, interval biking, stepper, and 30 min. of running on the treadmill. I only did 2 rounds in the sauna.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #540
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Have you considered the idea that your level of exercise might be a bit excessive?
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #541
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
Have you considered the idea that your level of exercise might be a bit excessive?
Not really. I can't work out during my working nights usually, although I do try to get in one or two morning jogs. It depends how bad work is. I went back to the gym to do weight training because I am having some pain issues from working due to weaknesses in some muscle groups. The stepper is also specifically for my back problems. I use the bike for strengthening my knees because it is low impact. My job is very physically demanding, and if I don't get my body tuned, I'm not going to be able to work much longer, and I can't afford that.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #542
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I hit the gym again Sunday, with the full long workout. That will probably be my last time until next weekend. I included 30 min. of jogging on the treadmill. I'll have to do some jogging around the lake after work during the week.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:22 AM   #543
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I did 30 min. of jogging around the lake after work this morning. I was thinking about not doing it because a patient died in the early morning hours on me. I then decided that it would be better for my mental health if I did jog. It should help me be able to sleep better today.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #544
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I had another 30 min. jog around the lake after work this morning. I can tell I'm getting stronger, but it is still slow going.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #545
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I went to the gym today. I managed 20 min. of interval training on the bike, lower body weight training, and 30 min. of running on the treadmill. Although I was fine while running and all, suddenly when I was done I felt exhausted in a bad way. I should have brought some fruit with me or something. I could hardly drag myself through the showers. After I ate something, I was ok again.

When I got home, I logged my jogging into my on-line program from my health insurance company. I started jogging with their program, which eases you into jogging slowly. Every 2 weeks I get a new training plan that is slightly more difficult. It took me from January to now to be able to jog 30 min. non-stop. Today the next trainings plan was activated. In the first week, I am supposed to jog 30 min. on 2 days, and 45 min. on the third. In the second week, I am supposed to jog 30 min. on 2 days, and 60 min. on the third. Are they out of their frigging minds?! In 2 weeks I am supposed to go from jogging 30 min. to jogging 60 min.!! To put it mildly, I have my doubts about this.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #546
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Am I the only one working out on this forum? I don't mean to crowd anyone out by posting here, nor to be too intimidating. I only post my workouts here to motivate myself, and have some kind of running account of what I have been doing. Everyone exercises at their own level, and there is no better or worse about it. It is just a matter of what stage am "I" at now, and am "I" trying to be healthy.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #547
flourbug
fumbling around in the dark

Thanked 3,426 Times in 1,924 Posts
I repeatedly lift my right arm and bring the fork to my mouth. All day, every day. You'd think I would have muscles by now but it seems to have the opposite effect.

But you inspire me to think about exercising... some day. Keep going.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #548
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbug View Post
I repeatedly lift my right arm and bring the fork to my mouth. All day, every day. You'd think I would have muscles by now but it seems to have the opposite effect.

But you inspire me to think about exercising... some day. Keep going.
I was going to recommend increasing the weight of the fork...and then I stopped.
Don't go there!!

Last edited by Mousehound; 03-26-2012 at 09:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mousehound For This Useful Post:
flourbug (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #549
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I hit the gym again today, but I was kicking my inner slug the whole time. I was getting angry at the guys hogging the machines. They bring their towels to the machine to drape over them, and then walk off. When they finally get back, they start doing circuit training, there by hogging 2-3 machines at the same time. It took me over an hour to finally be able to use the one machine that is important for my shoulder problems. I made myself run on the treadmill for 35 min. with an additional 10 min. of walking. I'm trying to sneak up on the 45 min. jog at the end of this week. I did a heavy duty interval training on the bike for 20 min., but I skipped the stepper. My inner slug won with that. I was good and did the floor exercises for my abs. I really hate those. I feel really exposed when I am on the mats and my backside is facing the room.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #550
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

I used the gym to burn off some anger today. After 10 min. on the bike to warm up, I ran for 45 min. on the treadmill. I tried to do some weights after the run was over, and I had stretched out, but I couldn't get a turn on the machines I needed. I took two turns in the sauna instead.

Tags
exercisewhat, today