Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Nutrition, Exercise and Weight Control

Nutrition, Exercise and Weight Control Keeping our bodies fit and at optimal performance levels.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
Samen
unregistered

Default Is Eating Bad for Your Health?

A new study every month claims eating this and that increases the risk of dying by 10 to 25 %.
I always thought that the possibility of death is 100 %.

Today's headlines:
-Red meat is blamed for one in 10 early deaths
-Red meat linked to higher risk of premature death
-Huge study shows red meat boosts risk of dying young

Then when you read the articles it seems the study's outcome is

Those who ate a card-deck-sized serving of unprocessed red meat each day, on average, had a 13 per cent higher risk of dying than those who did not eat red meat as frequently.

And if the red meat was processed, as in a hot dog or two slices of bacon, that risk jumped to 20 per cent. Link

What purpose are studies like this serving, I understand that the study is important but how the results are interpreted leads me to wonder who is behind this.

Greenies who don't want methane dispensing cows feeding the world population as it contributes to global warming?
Food factories who don't want anyone buying unprocessed foods as there is more profit to made by grinding anything edible (or not) into one glob and naming the end product with fancy names depending on what coloring they add to it?
Raw material producers, who can make a better profit per gram of protein, ie. chicken coups above a fish pond where the chicken poo feeds the fish and the fish guts are made into chicken feed or the chockablock piggeries, compared to the space Bovinae's take?
Hippies?

The average consumer is not going to read more than the headline of the articles, "Red meat kills you fast, study confirms".

No mater how good the white meat you cant take the craving for red meat out of me i get at least once a week if not twice, so it must be good for you.
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
MaxTheKnife
Genuine Arkansas Peckerwood

The golden rule is moderation in ALL things. We had steak for supper last night and we don't care if it hairlips the pope. It was good and we didn't eat more than was good for us. As for me and my house, we shall eat red meat!
MaxTheKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Mama Alanna
Merry Xmouse!

Thanked 1,152 Times in 538 Posts
I know that NOT eating is eventually bad for your health...
--Josh Billings
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Mama Alanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
blue gecko
Simplify, Do or Die

Thanked 1,487 Times in 830 Posts

We don't eat much beef and we eat very little processed meat unless we process it ourselves. We do have a couple of weaknesses. We have a favorite hotdog stand run by someone we know who makes his own sauces and toppings and uses high quality dogs/polish sausages. We also love a good hamburger. Our favorite places grind their meat themselves from whole cuts.

I've got to say that I think most people's diet would be better off without the amount of meat they currently eat. I also think that if they grew their own they'd have a better perspective about the amount of meat reasonable to include in their diet. Same thing goes with other foods. If they grew their own vegetables and fruits they'd have a lot more respect concerning real seasonal variety, the value of wasted food and have a better understanding of "normal" eating vs privileged gluttony. If they ground their own flour, only got fish when they caught it etc. they'd have a better perspective of food and I think a lot of this nations food borne problems would go away. Of course that would mean they would have to actually work, get fresh air and sunshine....

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible like that
blue gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
lilly
Senior Level 6

Well I eat whatever I want, and I love bacon.

I'll continue doing whatever pleases me that day. Am cutting back a bit calorically because I don't burn off the calories as quickly being older.

Seem to be in reasonable condition for my age. Look good, feel fine. Probably average in fitness and health wise.

I've lived past the norm for American women, so it is all gravy from here on in.
lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Mrs. Hermit
Member Level 1

Mama Alana,

LOL--and its the truth!
Old 03-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Twoolf
Searcher for Truth and a good Carpachio

I've always wondered about these statistics. Just like the fuel supplements that claim save 10%, 15%, 25%... If you use them all you'd have to drain gas from the tank instead of filling it. Same with these health claims. If you did everything all these so called experts say to, you'd live to 3000. NO thanks. Lazarus Long I ain't.

“The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
~1797 - John Adams

Our Gods are dead. Klingion Warriors slew them eons ago. They were more trouble than they were worth. Worf
Twoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
jane333
Member Level 4

In health news we're seeing new wisdom about anti-inflammatory foods. Who knows if it's the key? But it can't hurt to scarf down a few blueberries and some omega-3's with your ribeye, imo.
jane333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
sandyd
Beach Fun

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/blog/

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2012/03/r...l-bad-science/

Good job breaking the study down. Looks like it's not just red meat but add lack of exercise, higher BMI and things like smoking.

The only way to win is to not play...(like global thermal nuclear war).
sandyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
Samen
unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyd View Post

Good job breaking the study down. Looks like it's not just red meat but add lack of exercise, higher BMI and things like smoking.
Good good, just what i was looking for.

---

I read some of the "Full Text" of the study interestingly it linked to the below at the same site and regarding this study with sections on the red meat as

Holy Cow! What's Good For You Is Good For Our Planet

HEALTH CRISIS
GLOBAL WARMING CRISIS
ENERGY

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...med.2012.174v1
Samen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyd View Post

In other words, there are so many variables involved, the article title (which singles out the sole variable of 'red meat' as the sole cause) is a bald-faced lie. Typical of medical 'journalism' by the MSM these days.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad, eating, health