Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Within Our Home > Classroom

Classroom A place for parents who take an active interest in their child's education, with a special emphasis on Homeschooling.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow US high school graduation rate inches past 75 percent

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Educati...ast-75-percent
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Antropologo
Shufflin'

Are high schools really doing that much better at teaching or are they just doing better at passing the problem to a higher level?

The link below indicates that remedial education at the college level is on the increase. This story is just for Colorado, but I suspect that other states would have similar stories.

http://www.ednewscolorado.org/2012/0...ion-rates-rise
Antropologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Due to the much-reviled 'No Child Left Behind' program, I think overall that education has improved. Testing the kids and holding the teachers accountable for actually producing results has got to have cleared out at least some of the deadwood.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:55 AM   #4
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,474 Times in 933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropologo View Post
Are high schools really doing that much better at teaching or are they just doing better at passing the problem to a higher level?

The link below indicates that remedial education at the college level is on the increase. This story is just for Colorado, but I suspect that other states would have similar stories.

http://www.ednewscolorado.org/2012/0...ion-rates-rise
I would say it is some of both.

There is more testing as 06 said. They are meeting the testing standard.

How good are the standards and hence their education? I have my doubts.

Every year I hear people I know complain about the education level of people who start at the University or Community College.

As I have said before there are now 5 classes before the freshman College Algebra now at the Community College. 2 pre classes at the University.

The only people who seem to be able to handle a standard Freshman load is someone who has taken all AP courses in High School.

Many I have heard are taking a "standard" 12 Semester hours.

Some of those however, are less well rounded. No previous job, sports, etc in school. Just enough to put something on the University application.

I have guest lectured and even taken some of the community college classes for fun. Am I shocked what comes out of high schools.

B*tch and moan about simple 1-2 word papers. A basic 3 page report? "OMG! I have plans to go to the beach this weekend!"

Please.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Students may be incredibly lazy, but the fact that they are both getting improved test scores and graduating proves conclusivey that either A) they are better educated, or B) teachers are helping them cheat the tests. There have been a few cases of the latter already, but I do not think that school staff engaging in organized cheating is the norm nationwide. So we are back to the inescapable conclusion that testing is, in fact, working, regardless of the utter hatred many teachers and most liberals have for 'No Child Left Behind'. Score another one for George Bush.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
Potemkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
Students may be incredibly lazy, but the fact that they are both getting improved test scores and graduating proves conclusivey that either A) they are better educated, or B) teachers are helping them cheat the tests. There have been a few cases of the latter already, but I do not think that school staff engaging in organized cheating is the norm nationwide. So we are back to the inescapable conclusion that testing is, in fact, working, regardless of the utter hatred many teachers and most liberals have for 'No Child Left Behind'. Score another one for George Bush.
Of course that assumes that the skills tested have stayed level over the years.

Somehow I doubt it, at least in my state.

We had an old test and scores, especially for minorities were poor.

They went back for a revamp a few years ago and all student test scores improved.

I am suspicious.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
Students may be incredibly lazy, but the fact that they are both getting improved test scores and graduating proves conclusivey that either A) they are better educated, or B) teachers are helping them cheat the tests. There have been a few cases of the latter already, but I do not think that school staff engaging in organized cheating is the norm nationwide.
Perhaps I was wrong....

Cheating our children: Suspicious school test scores across the nation

http://www.ajc.com/news/cheating-our...s-1397022.html
Old 03-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Potemkin

http://www.ajc.com/news/cheating-our...t-1397020.html

Quote:
HOUSTON

Enrollment: 204,245

Eligible for free or reduced-price meals: 79 percent

AJC analysis: Since 2006, 307 classes exhibited improbable changes, compared to an expected 177. Odds: less than 1 in 1 trillion.

History: After the Dallas Morning News identified possible cheating in 2004 and 2007, the district fired numerous principals and teachers.

High stakes: In 2011, 75 percent of the district’s teachers received bonuses through a pay-for-performance system.

Tags
graduation, high, inches, past, percent, rate, school