Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Science Center > Environmental News

Environmental News Discuss weather, climate, and earth changes here.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Catbird
Senior Level 4

Default Scotts Corp. pleads guilty to selling toxic bird food

The bird food in question was produced and sold between 2005-2008, so it's no longer an issue. But if you had a rash of bird deaths near feeding stations, this might be why. Scotts, the company that produces Miracle-Gro, among other things, apparently thought that putting an insecticide toxic to wildlife in bird food was a good idea.

"Miracle-Gro pleads guilty to using toxic chemical in birdfeed"

Quote:
"A judge has accepted a guilty plea by Ohio lawn and garden company Scotts Miracle-Gro to violating federal environmental laws while deferring a decision on a deal that requires the company to pay a $4 million fine and give $500,000 to help support wildlife study and preservation.

The Marysville-based company faced allegations it used a toxic pesticide on birdfeed sold nationwide for two years, including six months after employees warned against it.

...The government alleges that beginning in 2005, Scotts produced a line of wild bird products under names including "Morning Song" and "Country Pride" that contained an insecticide to prevent insects from eating the product during storage.

The government said the insecticide, which is highly toxic to fish, birds and other wildlife, wasn't approved for use in bird food."
Old 03-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow Obligatory....

* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, corp, food, guilty, pleads, scotts, selling, toxic