Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Technology > Cellphones and Mobile Electronics

Cellphones and Mobile Electronics Technology, especially electronics, are with us every moment now as we walk out the door to work, play and travel. Cellphones, smart phones, tablets, e-readers, GPSs and more let us carry tools that allow us to communicate, be more productive and entertain ourselves.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Oric
El Turco

Default What is your cellular/gsm phone model ?

Blackberry 9700

DW has Iphone 4
Oric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
proteus
Member Level 2

Iphone 4s for me........Regards N.
proteus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
AndreaCA
one of those hopelessly disorganized people

My daughter's old phone from 4 or 5 years ago. My 12 year old phone finally died.
AndreaCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

I'm on my second ENV3. My first one was still going strong at 2 years when upgrade time came around. I got a new Samsung, looks something like one of the 'droids but is not a smart phone. Sent my old ENV3 to my daughter in Portland who broke her phone and couldn't afford a new one. Decided I HATED my new phone and ordered another ENV3 off of Ebay. I might just order another one to have as back up because I LOVE MY ENV3!!!
drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Since I test cellphones for a living for one of the big telecoms, I have about twenty new phones, most of them smartphones, in my laptop bag right now. Unfortunately, most of them are unreleased models I cannot talk about. But the one I carry daily for my work phone is a Samsung Android phone with a slide-out keyboard. I am not a fan of touch screen virtual keyboards. I am thinking about trying a Window Mobile 7 phone, just to see if I like it.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

I have two cell phones, one is for texting only and the other is for talking. The texting phone is a Sony Ericsson TM506 that is 4 years old. The other phone is a Kyocera 195 and it's used for calls.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
DBA
Member Level 2

I just repalced my 15+ year old phone a month ago with a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Nice big screen but I still need my cheater glasses for most things. It's quite a toy.

Downloaded a variety of (free) apps the other night and was quite surprised at the permissions granted to some apps on install. Is it because they are free they feel they can access info as they wish. A quick glance at the pay for apps shows that a lot less permissions are required.

I'll have to read up on permissions and dump the apps that I think are unreasonable.
DBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
Twoolf
Searcher for Truth and a good Carpachio

Android Pro. Very happy with it. Dumped a Blackberry that I could not stand.

“The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
~1797 - John Adams

Our Gods are dead. Klingion Warriors slew them eons ago. They were more trouble than they were worth. Worf
Twoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
Since I test cellphones for a living for one of the big telecoms, I have about twenty new phones, most of them smartphones, in my laptop bag right now. Unfortunately, most of them are unreleased models I cannot talk about. But the one I carry daily for my work phone is a Samsung Android phone with a slide-out keyboard. I am not a fan of touch screen virtual keyboards. I am thinking about trying a Window Mobile 7 phone, just to see if I like it.

Are you testing this one?

drummagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Malcolm
Senior Level 2

A 3 year old ........"Sony Erricson"
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #11
occupant
Infosponge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
I was waiting for your reply. I'm in the market for a new phone as my 13+yr old one is about kaput.I figure you've got the skinny on the best ones.
occupant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

I've got a LG clam shell phone. It does what I need it to do.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #13
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by occupant View Post
I was waiting for your reply. I'm in the market for a new phone as my 13+yr old one is about kaput.I figure you've got the skinny on the best ones.
It depends on what you want. The iPhone and Android phones have good browsers and cool apps, many of them free. Blackberry is more secure and better for business applications, and they are about to implement Android app compatibility. The new Windows 7 phones are supposed to give a great user experience, but I have not really used one personally yet.

I personally like the Android phones. Just about all the major manufacturers have several Android models. Various screen sizes are available now. The prices have really come down, so they are pretty affordable. Samsungs are pretty good. Pantechs and LGs are not bad, and cheaper. Sony Ericssons are nice, and have a superior music player and high-resolution screens. Motorolas have a powerful dual-core processor, and you can get a laptop docking station that turns your phone into a netbook. At the low end, ZTE and Hauwei phones are really affordable, and they work fine. Samsung and Motorola both offer ruggedized, waterproof Android smartphones. Some models have manual keyboards in addition to the standard on-screen virtual touchscreen keyboards. There is a new Motorola Droid Max that boasts very long battery life. If you travel overseas, you will want a multi-band 'unlocked' phone that uses SIM cards so you can swap them out for prepaid ones from local providers. In many urban areas, you can 4G or LTE netowrk coverage. In those areas, 4G or LTE phones will download stuff and browse the net much, much faster. Of course, they cost more.

So what you need to do is figure out exactly what features are important to you. Once you do that, you can check out online buying guides to find the phones with those features, and then start looking at price versus quality. Once you know what phone you want, then you have to figure out what provider you want to go with. Talk with people in your area and find out which company has the best local coverage where you live and work, and where you travel to frequently. Then figure out what plan will work best for you, including the data plan. If you have never had a smartphone, you should play with someone else's smartphone for awhile and see if you intend to use it for browsing the internet a lot. If you exceed the limits of your data plan, it will cost you big bucks, so make sure you get enough data for your needs.

If you have any questions during your search, feel free to ask.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #14
occupant
Infosponge

You're a peach! I have alot to study up on. I work for a very large corporation and most corporate employees say " Get an I-Phone " emphatically ! So much going on in my life right now and I have to fool with this. Thank you for your sound advice, much appreciated...
Old 02-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

The iPhone set the standard for smartphones, no doubt, but I think that Android phones have finally caught up with it.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #16
Malcolm
Senior Level 2

That one.........below
http://www.cnet.com.au/sony-ericsson-c905-339292063.htm
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #17
Oric
El Turco

Quote:
Seriously 13 years ? How did you find spare batteries for it after 5 years ?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #18
occupant
Infosponge

O.K. believe me or not but it is the same battery. It is one of Verizons first flip phones. A chick at a V store told me how to clean the battery posts with an eraser and I have done it often. I charge it every other day and shes still going,but now losing the charge very quickly. Now a charge only lasts a day whereas before it lasted like 3 days. Seriously!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:21 AM   #19
afljafa
Member Level 3

Quote:
You're a peach! I have alot to study up on. I work for a very large corporation and most corporate employees say " Get an I-Phone " emphatically ! So much going on in my life right now and I have to fool with this. Thank you for your sound advice, much appreciated...
Old post now and you might have purchased a phone already but a good indicator is to look at where the developers spend their time.

Pretty much everyone develops for ios - not so much for Android. It is a difficult path to go for a number of reasons. Developers I have talked to prefer ios because they have a great API and development SDK by comparison to Android. There are a number of examples out there of serious app makers just dumping Android because the ROI is not worth it. They also complain that the app market is a mess by comparison to the app store.

Developers like IOS because they know what they are developing for. Screen sizes and processors are uniform so they only need to develop for a few platforms and they are fine. For Android (and I presume Microsoft) they are at the mercy of what hardware the vendor cobbles together so they can never be sure their app will work or look quite right.

It's not only the developers that like the product - Airplay is being built right into amplifiers from Marantz and others will follow. Whilst Apple have proprietry connector, it is standard across their range so again the hardware manufacturers can build a one size fits all product to interface it. Apple also have great interoperability across their range.

If none of that matters to you then any phone will probably do - but if you are looking for a phone that can extend itself and is always going to be well supported then I would go with Apple.
afljafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:27 AM   #20
ukmum

Im a Samsung fan, but next month going to go for a Blckberry for the first time...for no other reason than I like the keyboard.

I'm a basic phone user so dont need all the bells and whisles most of these phone now have..all I need is to use the telephone and text!
ukmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #21
Ter
Member Level 5

Nokia N-95 4GB, got it as a present from a rich Bangladeshi friend, I think from 2007 or 2008. Excellent camera, lots of space, no touch screen, I use it only to phone and to take pictures and videos. No, not true, I also record my kids and wife when they have tantrums
It stops them right there.

Ter
Ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #22
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummagick View Post
Are you testing this one?

Old 08-11-2012, 03:00 AM   #23
Oric
El Turco

Got myself a Samsung Galaxy S3 last week. It is a real Iphone killer, so far so good
Old 08-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #24
SarahS
ripple in still water

Landline only here!
SarahS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #25
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

I have the LG clam shell. It still works great and the battery lasts a long time.

Tags
cellular or gsm, model, phone