Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Medical News

Medical News News, information and discussions about health issues, medicine and biotechnology.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow CDC sees autism rate rise 25%

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-...-rate-rise-25/
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

I don't know if there is really an increase in Autism or if it is just being diagnosised more.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Twoolf
Searcher for Truth and a good Carpachio

Its probably a lot like ADHD: another convent place to pigeonhole kids.

“The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
~1797 - John Adams

"Our Gods are dead. Klingon warriors slew them eons ago. They were more trouble than they were worth".... Worf
Twoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
linttrap
it's time for the Guillotine, again

Thanked 5,714 Times in 2,534 Posts
An undiagnosed autistic child is going to be noticed. It's not like they were wandering among the children hand flapping and biting themselves and suddenly we are more sensitive and seeing them.

There is a real rise in Autism that is astonishing when you compare the rate to a few decades ago.

I worked with autistic children and adults in the early 70s and they were very rare birds. 1 in 10,000. Now the rate is 1 in 88. And that does not include Aspergers and PDD which are similar. There is a real increase in cases, as well as more sensitivity to the diagnosis.

Something is damaging more and more of our children. Is it something damaging the genes of the parents? Is it something happening during gestation, some exposure of the mother that affects the baby?

Something has changed. Based on changes in other diseases and conditions (increase in infertility, for example) I suggest the CDC get unhooked from the money that is affecting their objectivity and focus on the things that they are deliberately looking away from right now. But that isn't going to happen.

“When you hear ‘no immediate danger‘ from nuclear radiation then you should run away as far and as fast as you can.”
-Alexey Yablokov, member of the Russian academy of sciences and adviser to President Gorbachev at the time of Chernobyl
linttrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
sandyd
Beach Fun

Quote:
Something is damaging more and more of our children. Is it something damaging the genes of the parents? Is it something happening during gestation, some exposure of the mother that affects the baby?
If there really is that big a change we are missing stuff that is really changing the next generations. If it's we saved kids who nature would have culled or if it's toxins in our environment, we probably need to know.

For the most part, we have more obese people too and I am hearing more of environmental, not just eating too much, as a cause.

Look up epigenetics. It's amazing.

The only way to win is to not play...(like global thermal nuclear war).
sandyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #6
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

My oldest son is autistic and doesn't bite himself (he may bite others if they tick him off) and he doesn't hand flap. He's on the high end of the spectrum. He was diagnosed as having ADHD when he was 6, the autism diagnosis was from the US Army while he was in AIT. That's why I said maybe they are just diagnosing it more now. They have learned so much about it since 1990 when he was diagnosed with ADHD.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Searching for the why behind rising autism rate

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/31/opinio...ate/index.html
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
25%, autism, cdc, rate, rise, sees