Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > News > Outside the Box

Outside the Box Not necessarily the news, anything oddball fits in here.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
linttrap
it's time for the Guillotine, again

Thanked 5,616 Times in 2,502 Posts
Default Mystery submarine found submerged in Lough Foyle, N. Ireland

Environment Minister Alex Attwood has said what appears to be a submarine or boat has been identified submerged in Lough Foyle.

Mr Attwood said he had viewed sonar images of the vessel.

"It is unusual that there appears to be no record of the circumstances behind this situation," he said.

"I have also asked that all agencies continue to work with DOE and the harbour commissioner to create certainty about the identity of and the reason why the submarine/boat is in the current location."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17692429

“When you hear ‘no immediate danger‘ from nuclear radiation then you should run away as far and as fast as you can.”
-Alexey Yablokov, member of the Russian academy of sciences and adviser to President Gorbachev at the time of Chernobyl
linttrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
linttrap
it's time for the Guillotine, again

Thanked 5,616 Times in 2,502 Posts
A little curious research reveals that this might not be such a big mystery after all since the Royal Navy probably knows all about this sub.

The whole story of how the German U-Boats surrendered and were processed is on this site:

http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/macslog/TheU-B...rrendered.html

The Naval Base at Lough Foyle was a big part of the U-Boat cataloguing and processing. Some were sent to the US or Russia, some were sent up to Scotland for berthing, the unseaworthy ones were to be taken out to the open ocean and sunk.

However, the weather being what it is in that area changed the plans for open ocean sinking of some of them.

"Comparison of the planned disposal arrangements with what actually happened shows the scale of disruption wrought by the weather. Only two of the U-Boats were sunk by demolition charges, only seven by submarines and only 13 by aircraft. Of the remainder, almost 50% foundered under tow before they ever reached the designated scuttling area. These either sank directly or were sunk by gunfire, some of them in positions very close to the entrances to Loch Ryan and Lough Foyle. The remainder were sunk by gunfire, as it was far too dangerous to follow the pre-planned demolition procedure."

“When you hear ‘no immediate danger‘ from nuclear radiation then you should run away as far and as fast as you can.”
-Alexey Yablokov, member of the Russian academy of sciences and adviser to President Gorbachev at the time of Chernobyl
linttrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
Ross
Senior Level 6

Thanked 1,454 Times in 828 Posts
Why a properly sealed sub would flounder under tow is a mystery to me .

“Gold is money. Everything else is credit.”

Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Why a properly sealed sub would flounder under tow is a mystery to me .
Captured subs generally have battle damage. They have been forced to the surface by depth charge attacks because if they did not come up, they were going down permanently with all hands. Once surfaced, the German crews would come out on the deck to surrender, and the U-boat's engineers and captain would go below and open the seacocks to try and sink the sub before it could be captured. British engineering crews would rush aboard to do what they could to stem the flooding on the damaged U-boats and pump out as much water as possible. The North Sea is rarely ever anything that could be described as 'calm', so when the damaged German subs were taken under tow, they were subject to a serious pounding by waves. The makeshift patches and pipe repairs failed often, with the subs flooding again and floundering.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
found, foyle, ireland, lough, mystery, submarine, submerged