Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Kitchen > Beverages and Brewing

Old 03-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow Your favorite beer

The best beer I have tried recently is Hop Venom IPA from Boneyard Brewing in Bend, Oregon. It is a very hoppy IPA, but not super-bitter, and with a nice sweet undertone. No nasty aftertaste, either.

Probably my favorite standards I can get all the time in bottles are Pike Kilt Lifter scotch ale and Red Hook Longhammer IPA. The Kilt Lifter is a nice, smooth dark ruby ale with low hops and a good malt flavor. The Longhammer is a pretty mild IPA with a good, but not strong hoppy flavor.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Twoolf
Searcher for Truth and a good Carpachio

You are lucky you have a good selection to play with. Down here (at least in my locality) you're lucky to find something in a bottle, let alone a well crafted local beer. I tend to favor Canadian Lagars and the lighter Bock Beers, but finding the interesting ones is almost impossible in my little backwards county. I'm not sure anyone around here knows what an IPA is. If I'm really lucky, my kids bring something interesting when they come to visit.

“The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
~1797 - John Adams

Our Gods are dead. Klingion Warriors slew them eons ago. They were more trouble than they were worth. Worf
Twoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoolf View Post
You are lucky you have a good selection to play with. Down here (at least in my locality) you're lucky to find something in a bottle, let alone a well crafted local beer. I tend to favor Canadian Lagars and the lighter Bock Beers, but finding the interesting ones is almost impossible in my little backwards county. I'm not sure anyone around here knows what an IPA is. If I'm really lucky, my kids bring something interesting when they come to visit.
Heh! You have no idea. There is a place a few blocks from where I work called Malt and Vine. It is a weird combination beer store and bar that sells over a thousand different beers. They also have a lot of stuff on tap, but they have no traditional bar to sit at; just cheap restaurant chairs and tables, with the glass-front refrigerated beer cases all the way around on all the walls. That is where I had the Hop Venom on tap.

Also, there are microbreweries around that you go to. They have tap rooms up front where they serve their beer, and in some, food as well. Red Hook has a nice one, and just a few blocks from where I work is Black Raven. In Bellevue, a few miles away, is Rock Bottom Brewery. The Snoqualmie Brewery is a few miles north of where I live. If you go downtown you can visit Pike Place Brewery, Elysian, Pyramid, Hale and Elliot Bay, to name a few. Any you can find a great selection of microbrews everywhere in area, including at the local Safeway. Yes, I am blessed here so far as beer. Wines, too, as this is one of the major Pinot Noir regions in the world. Even the potheads have it good, as they can easily get a prescription and go to one of the local medical marijuana dispensaries that is like a pot supermarket, with literally hundreds of varieties being sold. I guess if you want to be hammered in style, the PNW is the place to come to.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Twoolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
. Even the potheads have it good, as they can easily get a prescription and go to one of the local medical marijuana dispensaries that is like a pot supermarket, with literally hundreds of varieties being sold. I guess if you want to be hammered in style, the PNW is the place to come to.
Got a spare room for a week or so?

“The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
~1797 - John Adams

Our Gods are dead. Klingion Warriors slew them eons ago. They were more trouble than they were worth. Worf
Old 03-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Got a spare room for a week or so?
You would have to fight the mice for it.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Twoolf

Excellent ! Snacks ! I get the munchies!

~1797 - John Adams

Old 03-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

You gonna go all Farley Mowat on us?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
Sysiphus
Senior Level 5

Just about anything from Deschutes or Dogfish Head.
Sysiphus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
Twoolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
You gonna go all Farley Mowat on us?
I'm not making the connection: What I know of Mowat was two books decades ago, "A Whale for the killing", and "The Lords Woods".

~1797 - John Adams

Old 03-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
D. Gale
Make a Wish

Quote:
I'm not making the connection
Never Cry Wolf -- there's a whole section on how he couldn't defeat all the field mice invading his tent and his camp -- until he started eating them.

On your way to Washington, you can come through Indiana -- tons of microbreweries here as well (do you watch Parks and Recreation? They're always drinking Upland, which is a real Indiana beer) and my DH also homebrews. I currently have about 6 cases of beer (pale ale, blonde ale, honey wheat, whiskey stout, a mike's lemonade knockoff, and a couple more I can't remember) in my walk-in closet.
"The kill rate in humans infected with Ebola Zaire is nine out of ten. Ninety percent of the people who come down with Ebola Zaire die of it. Ebola Zaire is a slate wiper in humans." --Richard Preston, The Hot Zone

"Don't worry. Ebola could never gain a foothold in the west due to our advanced medical infrastructure and rigorous protocols." -- Exodia
D. Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Twoolf

Thanks for the clarification.

~1797 - John Adams

Old 03-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
LvDemWings
Wingy Spud

About the only beer I can stand is Labatt Blue draft. It is ok in the US, better once I cross the border.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
Twoolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvDemWings View Post
About the only beer I can stand is Labatt Blue draft. It is ok in the US, better once I cross the border.
Try Moosehead. Beats Labatts hands down IMHO

~1797 - John Adams

Old 03-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #14
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Try Moosehead. Beats Labatts hands down IMHO
+ 1
Old 03-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #15
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysiphus View Post
Just about anything from Deschutes or Dogfish Head.
Okay, I just stopped at Safeway and got a four-pack of Dogfish Head Imperial IPA for $11 + tax. That was the 'on sale' price. I was mainly wondering why anyone would have the unmitigated gall to charge that much for beer. I just started in on one, and it is among the best IPAs I have ever had. It is also nine freakin' percent alcohol. Very nice. But I am still getting over the sticker shock.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #16
Twoolf

9% ? Thats damn near wine !

~1797 - John Adams

Old 03-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #17
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Most of the beers that are that strong are referred to as barley wines. They mostly taste like crap to me, but I really like this stuff. I am halfway through my first bottle, and I am feeling it already.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #18
Exodia
Khan of the Golden Horde

I'm partial to Yuengling. They bill themselves as the oldest brewery in the US. They started brewing in Pottsville PA in 1829 and are still in operation. Its currently still only available in the east coast states.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #19
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Yeah, there are a lot of excellent beers that are only in limited distribution. I wanted to try Tröegs Nugget Nectar, but it is unavailable on the west coast.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #20
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Another good one I tried recently is Alaskan Black IPA. It is a smooth medium-bodied very dark ale with a nice balance of hops and malt. It barely has enough hops to call it an IPA, being more like a mild pale ale in that respect. It has a clean, slightly astringent, but not bitter aftertaste. I really like it. Alcohol content is 6.4%.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #21
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

I just tried 21st Amendment Bitter American. It is a lighter winter ale, almost like a heavy lager. It has a very slight bitter initial taste, with a smooth, clean non-bitter aftertaste. It is only 4.4% alcohol. It is pretty good. It comes in cans, which is a recent trend with good-quality microbrews. Keeps the light out, and preserves the taste well.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

This German lager is just awesome. The brewery makes all smoked beers except this one. But because the place brews all those other smoked beers, this one picks up a slight smoky flavor. I think this is the best lager I have ever had.

Also, I got to try Russian River Brewing Pliny the Elder IPA on tap. It is the first beer I have seen get a double '100' rating at BeerAdvocate.com. It is really tasty, and the alcohol content is 10.4%.

Last edited by Ought Six; 04-15-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #23
drummagick
new age airy-fairy hippie

You want to try something really different sometime, get yourself a raspberry lambic. It's a fruit beer, and it's WONDEFUL in the summer. It comes in different flavors but I love raspberry the best.

drummagick is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer, favorite