Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow Newt Gingrich: United Nations should adopt treaty giving everyone on earth gun rights

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...nations_s.html
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Twoolf
Searcher for Truth and a good Carpachio

I want some of what he's smoking........

“The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
~1797 - John Adams

Our Gods are dead. Klingion Warriors slew them eons ago. They were more trouble than they were worth. Worf
Twoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
pave_spectre
Freakin' out the Polar Bears.

He gets my vote. (metaphorically of course)

When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution, and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
pave_spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 2,584 Times in 1,525 Posts
A) I do not want to be subject to the UN... no matter how attractive any law or treaty appears to be.

B) 'Right'? In many countries, the only rights you have are those you firmly grasp - then manage to hold on to.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

It is about time someone stood up and got in the UN's face about a basic human right; the right of self-defense, and the right to have the only suitable tools to exercise that right (see my tagline below).
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
CanadaSue
SuperModerator

Thanked 2,584 Times in 1,525 Posts
I agree everyone should have the right to bear arms - leaving aside the sticky wicket of letting certifiable fruitbats have firearms & I support that right for the reasons listed in your tag line.

I just don't want that right granted to me by a Third World Employment Agency with its own agenda.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
Twoolf

You would have more luck doing your own heart transplant than getting the UN to go along with that one.

“The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
~1797 - John Adams

Our Gods are dead. Klingion Warriors slew them eons ago. They were more trouble than they were worth. Worf
Old 04-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSue View Post
I agree everyone should have the right to bear arms - leaving aside the sticky wicket of letting certifiable fruitbats have firearms & I support that right for the reasons listed in your tag line.

I just don't want that right granted to me by a Third World Employment Agency with its own agenda.
Treaties between nations do not involve the UN 'granting' anything whatsoever. Newt is calling for a treaty that clearly asserts the inalienable human right of the individual to armed self-defense, and for signatory nations to then reform their national laws to protect that right. The UN would merely be a forum for a discussion of this matter between potential signatory nations. They could come to an agreement on the language of the treaty there. I agree that it is unlikely that would occur, but by merely bringing up the subject, Newt has launched an international discussion about it. He has planted the seed. It is now up to all of us to nurture the seedling and try to help it grow.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
Twoolf

Did you really expect him to say something different when he was speaking to the NRA? It was pandering at its best.

~1797 - John Adams

Old 04-15-2012, 03:49 AM   #10
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoolf View Post
Did you really expect him to say something different when he was speaking to the NRA? It was pandering at its best.
False. He has been a strong advocate of gun rights his whole life. Mitt Romney, on the other hand, was pro-gun control until he got national ambitions. He changed his stance and signed up as an NRA life member six years ago. *That* is pandering.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ought Six For This Useful Post:
dharma (04-15-2012), MDINMT (04-15-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

How many world leaders would wet their damn pants at the idea of their citizens having arms? Holy shit, think of how bad the smell would be all of them pissing themselves at once.

"When the enemy is in range, so are you!" - Murphy
كافر & Proud
Glockd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adopt, earth, gingrich, giving, gun, nations, newt, rights, treaty, united