Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Politics

Politics Step up and make your case on all manner of political topics.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #326
Potemkin
Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I see there is talk of the Trayvon family suing the home owners association
for the area that Martin was attempting to protect ......Disgusted .

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news.../10/242737.htm

I note there was a rash of burglaries in that area , did the police ever
check the Trayvon home for stolen property . If not they now should
regardless of the hate consequences .

I m sure there are some sheeple that would be ok with that but I don't think I would go too far to say that would possibly be the beginning on a new civil war.

Conservatives, Liberals and Progressives would all oppose although for somewhat different reasons.

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #327
Ought Six
Dismember

Experts argue appropriateness of murder charge in Martin case

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/12/justic...rge/index.html
Ought Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #328
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brihard View Post
Uh, no. The police don't get to simply arbitrarily search a residence. They need probable cause sufficient to secure a warrant. That's sort of a critical part of living in a free society.
Agreed, there is no reason at all to search their dwellings. I would note also, that you Ross, are now assuming the same of Trayvon that others have accused Zimmerman of assuming, black teen, hoodie, late at night = bad guy.

"When the enemy is in range, so are you!" - Murphy
كافر & Proud
Glockd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #329
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Cosby: Trayvon Martin case about guns, not race

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...a65548b0bfab6d

Bill Cosby pushes for more gun control.
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #330
dharma
balrog

Thanked 1,034 Times in 496 Posts
I wonder how Cosby feels about the likelihood that there is sufficient evidence for demonstration of the Higgs boson.

Oh, that's right, he's a comedian, knows nothing about it, and no one should give a damn what he has to say.
dharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #331
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

You do know that Cosby has a college education, right?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #332
dharma
balrog

I'd say "college education" is a pretty generous term. He never completed his bachelor's degree (he majored in physical education), received an MA later in life in some program which basically gave him credit for "significant impact on society", then got a doctorate in education for a dissertation on "An Integration of the Visual Media Via 'Fat Albert And The Cosby Kids' Into the Elementary School Curriculum as a Teaching Aid and Vehicle to Achieve Increased Learning". He subsequently received his bachelor's on the basis of his "life experience".

I don't consider that he got a real degree at any point, and, in any case, think a doctorate in education resembles a real doctorate in the same way my Tinker Toy childhood buildings resemble real architecture. You are welcome to disagree.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #333
Feather
Secretly laughing at the cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharma View Post
You are welcome to disagree.
I'm sure there is nothing I can say that will make you change your mind on this topic.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #334
sandyd
Beach Fun

Has this been posted before? sorry, hard to keep track.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz1s9y1q9Vb

George Zimmerman lost job as party security guard for being too aggressive, ex-co-worker says

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz1sDnvB2vl

The only way to win is to not play...(like global thermal nuclear war).
sandyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #335
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather View Post
I'm sure there is nothing I can say that will make you change your mind on this topic.
If you could give some actual evidence of Cosby's 'high level of education' with references to back it up, of course he would listen. But you cannot, can you? So what, exactly, is there to listen to from you on that point?
* The only usable tools for these tasks are guns, and thus I have the right to shoot anyone who would take my guns from me.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #336
sandyd
Beach Fun

Quote:
in any case, think a doctorate in education resembles a real doctorate
Philosophy has a place but is it a doctorate like say, in physics..no. But then neither is an MD. And I'm rather glad there are medical docs and not just some physics guy to see when I'm sick.

I don't really care about the atoms and electrons when I need antibiotics!
Now a guy with a doctorate in chemistry might do me some good

Old 04-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #337
dharma
balrog

Sandy, you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about, but you're welcome to your opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to dharma For This Useful Post:
Exodia (04-17-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #338
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Zimmerman's lawyer asks to have judge removed from case

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/16/justic...teen-shooting/
Old 04-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #339
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather View Post
You do know that Cosby has a college education, right?
Well shit, so did Ted Kazinsky, the UnaBomber. What's your point?

Quote:
Kaczynski was born in Chicago, Illinois, where, as an intellectual child prodigy, he excelled academically from an early age. Kaczynski was accepted into Harvard University at the age of 16, where he earned an undergraduate degree, and later earned a PhD in mathematics from the University of Michigan. He became an assistant professor at the University of California, Berkeley at age 25, but resigned two years later.

كافر & Proud
Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #340
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

NRA's LaPierre slams media over Martin coverage

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/...ge-120528.html
Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #341
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

George Zimmerman afraid of being killed in jail: lawyer

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...ntent=National
Old 04-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #342
sandyd
Beach Fun

dharma,

Maybe you only work with and know really smart MD's. I am sure where I am at is not high on the list of 'where I want to work after' for any doc.

Come on...more than one doc has said "I have the list of above the waist meds and below the waist meds"
Oh and the OB guy who admitted "I don't do above the waist anymore. I know OB" Oh...it was a simple A&P question I heard a student ask the guy.

Are physicists that sloppy? Well, none I knew but I admit the ones I knew were not of this generation. In 1980 all were 45-60 except one...he was about 25.

I agree any degree based on life experience is often bs. ONLY if the person was doing the work for years without the paper, do I think life experience counts and an actor getting it...well..no..he was not teaching day to day.

I like Glockd's point...even someone with a real doctorate in math can be so crazy, education doesn't matter.

Oddly, I have told people education does not equal maturity. The janitor can be more mature than the most educated guy in the hospital.

More and more what I'm starting to think is that two, macho guys, met and fought cuz they both were not smart enough to avoid a conflict that was avoidable. One is dead and the other will, no matter what, have his life screwed up for a long, long time.

The super sad part is that none of the leaders of any color have pointed that out.

EVERY male should be learning from this. And every leader males look up to, especially males under 40-need to shout from the rooftops...

AVOID a FIGHT if there is ANY way to do it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sandyd For This Useful Post:
Exodia (04-17-2012), Feather (04-17-2012), flourbug (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #343
Potemkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
More and more what I'm starting to think is that two, macho guys, met and fought cuz they both were not smart enough to avoid a conflict that was avoidable. One is dead and the other will, no matter what, have his life screwed up for a long, long time.

The super sad part is that none of the leaders of any color have pointed that out.
I agree but more from the Black and Liberals I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
EVERY male should be learning from this. And every leader males look up to, especially males under 40-need to shout from the rooftops...

AVOID a FIGHT if there is ANY way to do it.
In Asimov's Foundation, one of the characters said "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."

I agree.

However, I don't mean what you probably think.

I surely don't mean the 1960's "Better Red than dead" way. (In the 1960's Liberals espoused that nuclear war must be avoided at all costs, even to the point of capitulating to the Soviet Union and become a puppet state.)

What Zimmerman should have done is arranged the situation where he didn't have to use the firearm. As a neighborhood watch member I would have certainly carried a firearm. If you are going to NW at night, by yourself, in an area that needs a NW, then a firearm certainly makes sense.

However, I see no exigent circumstances that required confrontation at that point.

Not that it was illegal for Zimmerman to do what it did in my opinion. It is just something I wouldn't have done.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't have done nothing in all circumstances. If he would have been carrying a petrol bomb, committing aggravated Murder, rape or assault the something you have to step up.

It is a requirement of living in a civilized society.

(I think the average person has a line. The line is the front door of their home, or to protect their family members no matter when they are. No person has the right to come into your home without your permission. A government that requires you to keep retreating until you are in a corner is not there to protect the citizens but the criminals.)

© Gregori Potemkin. All rights reserved. But wait . . . fair use allowed and encouraged. Actually, go 'head and publish the whole thing as is. I don't care.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #344
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potemkin View Post
What Zimmerman should have done is arranged the situation where he didn't have to use the firearm.
This seems like an utterly bizarre statement to me. Zimmerman, if the facts we have at hand are correct and reasonably complete, did nothing to cause the attack. He had tried to keep eyes on a suspicious person (which is what NW is supposed to do), and he was returning to his car when Trayvon came up behind him, confronted him, and attacked him when he turned away to use his cellphone. If true, the only person who 'arraigned the situation' badly is Trayvon. 20/20 hindsight from the comfort of our armchairs on 'shouldas' and 'wouldas' is a valueless commodity indeed.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #345
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Florida judge in Trayvon Martin case to decide on recusal

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...83G1E220120417
Old 04-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #346
Potemkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
This seems like an utterly bizarre statement to me. Zimmerman, if the facts we have at hand are correct and reasonably complete, did nothing to cause the attack. He had tried to keep eyes on a suspicious person (which is what NW is supposed to do), and he was returning to his car when Trayvon came up behind him, confronted him, and attacked him when he turned away to use his cellphone.
If the facts as we see have read them then the "arranging" I mentioned seemed clear.

He left his automobile, followed on foot, lost the subject, lost situational awareness, and got jumped.

He was certainly in his legal right to leave the car but not a smart thing to do.

Look at the situation he is in now. Life all messed up, no matter if he is guilty or innocent.

For what? For a suspicious person walking through the neighborhood?

I think Martin was probably up to no good and was probably a thug life wanna be, but I am not willing to go to prison, or even be inconvenienced on a suspicion. (Agg crimes, sure.)

Again, he was legally allowed to follow Martin as any other citizen would do. He was allowed to defend himself as any other citizen can, up to and including deadly force.

However the motto of a Neighborhood Watch is "Observe, record and report".

Zimmerman sounds like a "buff" to me.

Quote:
If true, the only person who 'arraigned the situation' badly is Trayvon. 20/20 hindsight from the comfort of our armchairs on 'shouldas' and 'wouldas' is a valueless commodity indeed.
Seems to be a lot of that going on.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #347
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

'He should not have gotten out of his car' when the suspect disappeared down a footpath is an equally bizarre statement. That makes no sense at all. Foot patrols and keeping eyes on suspicious people are SOP for NW. Zimmerman lost sight of Trayvon, but saw him approaching him and spoke to him as he did so (again, if the facts we have are correct). So he apparently had perfectly good situational awareness right up to the moment he turned away to use his cellphone. That is the one mistake I can see here that Zimmerman made.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #348
Sonny
Senior Level 4

Quote:
However, I see no exigent circumstances that required confrontation at that point.
How do you conclude that Zimm confronted Trayvon?

It is my understanding that Trayvon confronted Zimm and drew first blood.

Even the girlfriend's account of their phone call supports that Trayvon came out from hiding and confronted Zimm.

“We shouldn’t forget that this is a disease of poverty, of dysfunctional health systems –– and of distrust,”

" For this reason, information, communication and involvement of community leaders are as important as the classical medical approach."

--

Last edited by Sonny; 04-17-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #349
Glockd
5.56, faster than 911

Quote:
'He should not have gotten out of his car' when the suspect disappeared down a footpath is an equally bizarre statement. That makes no sense at all. Foot patrols and keeping eyes on suspicious people are SOP for NW. Zimmerman lost sight of Trayvon, but saw him approaching him and spoke to him as he did so (again, if the facts we have are correct). So he apparently had perfectly good situational awareness right up to the moment he turned away to use his cellphone. That is the one mistake I can see here that Zimmerman made.
He made more than one mistake Ought.

كافر & Proud
Old 04-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #350
Ought Six
Dismember

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockd View Post
He made more than one mistake Ought.
Feel free to list them. Remember, he is not a trained Delta operator, and should be viewed as the untrained person he is.

Tags
killing, martin, tbmfp, trayvon, zimmerman