Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Kitchen > Special Diets and Gluten Free

Old 10-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
Misty
Member Level 5

Default Using sorghum flour?

Is anyone else out there baking with sorghum flour? I began about a year ago because I developed an allergy to wheat, rye and oat flour. I buy the sorghum flour from a grower in the midwest and like it much better than some of the other flour mixtures that are often substituted for regular flour. So far my favorite recipes are a banana bread and a white bread that are very close to the ones made with wheat flour.

Does anybody have any tried and true recipes I can make? I've seen some with guar gum but I don't digest that additive very well. Xanthan gum is ok though. For those of you who wonder why either of those would be used, it's because they provide the texture that's missing when you don't use one of the gluten flours.
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
FrmlyZ

Misty:

It is an aquired taste. It is a staple in west Africa where it originted. Here it's Milo and grown for animal feed. I prefer wheat but that is just me.

Best Wishes,,,,,,,
Z
FrmlyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
A.T. Hagan
Your "Crazy Town" reporter

No gluten so it won't rise just like wheat flour will, but it can be leavened to a certain extent using eggs or such. Color and strength of flavor depends on the particular variety milled. The better eating sorghums are rather light in color. The more highly colored are pretty strong tasting.

In my limited experience I found one can use sorghum flour for anything that you'd use corn meal for. It's usually more finely milled than corn meal though so the texture of the finished product may be different.

.....Alan.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
FrmlyZ

Misty:

"Xanthan gum is ok though". Xanthan gum is a bacterial extracellular polysaccharide.Very few people have troubles with it and that is why it is so widely used.

Best Wishes,,,,,,,,

Z
FrmlyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flour, sorghum