Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Main Floor > Science Center

Science Center Our science center is equipped to facilitate a variety of general scientific discussions, including physics, environment science, astronomy and technology research.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
Mousehound
Senior Level 6

Default NASA may send fleet of spacecraft to Venus

Two high-altitude balloons built to hover in sulphuric acid clouds could be part of a future fleet of spacecraft sent to Venus, a NASA advisory team says.

The multi-billion-dollar mission concept – which is being considered for launch in the next fifteen years – could help reveal more about Venus's runaway greenhouse effect, any oceans it may once have had, and possible ongoing volcanic activity.

It could be the next flagship mission sent to a planet, after a planned mission to Jupiter and its moons set for launch in 2020.

The Venus mission would cost some $3 billion to 4 billion and would launch between 2020 and 2025, according to NASA, which in 2008 tasked a group of scientists and engineers to formulate goals for the mission.

The team's study, which will be released in April, outlines a plan to study the hazy planet, which has more in common with Earth than any other in terms of distance from the Sun, size and mass, but evolved into an inhospitable world where surface temperatures hover close to 450°C and sulphuric acid rains from the sky.

The team's mission concept includes one orbiter, two balloons and two short-lived landers, all of which would launch into space on two Atlas V rockets.

"Our understanding of Venus is so low, we really need this armada," says planetary scientist Mark Bullock of the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colorado, one of the team leaders.

Please read here for a lot more information on this planned mission:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-to-venus.html

Don't be afraid to be open-minded. Your brain won't fall out.

Seth Godin: “Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, maybe you should set up a life you don't need to escape from.”
Mousehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
gsgs
searching for truth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Venus
Old 03-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
Darkimbolc
Guy with sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgs View Post
Venus has too much atmosphere. mars has too little. Using railgun mass drivers, we may be able to get a two for one on this.
"For if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who are normally stupified by poverty would become literate and would learn to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would sooner or later realise that the privileged minority had no function, and they would sweep it away."
--George Orwell

"When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist."
— Dom Hélder Camara
Darkimbolc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleet, nasa, send, spacecraft, venus