Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Health and Medicine > Nutrition, Exercise and Weight Control

Nutrition, Exercise and Weight Control Keeping our bodies fit and at optimal performance levels.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Susan4
4ster

Default Think 30 minutes of exercise cuts it? Try 50

We were just discussing length of workout in logs so I thought this older article would be of interest.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29122093/

updated 2:45 p.m. CT, Tues., Feb. 10, 2009

NEW YORK - Greater amounts of physical activity than currently recommended may be necessary to prevent people from gaining weight, and to help them lose weight and keep it off, according to updated guidelines issued by the American College of Sports Medicine.

"In the midst of a genuine crisis in Americans' health related to what we eat and how little we move, these guidelines are meant to provide an understanding and clarification of the role of physical activity and its relationship to weight," Dr. Joseph E. Donnelly of the University of Kansas in Lawrence and chair of the advisory committee noted in a statement.

"Now that we have the latest information on how much physical activity is part of the equation, we can continue the educational process to help people who struggle with their weight," Donnelly added.

In a 2001 position paper, the ACSM recommended a minimum of 150 minutes per week (roughly 30 minutes per day 5 times per week) of moderate-intensity physical activity for overweight and obese adults to improve health; however, 200 to 300 minutes per week was recommended for long-term weight loss.

"More recent evidence has supported this recommendation and has indicated that more physical activity may be necessary to prevent weight regain after weight loss," reads the ACSM's position paper published in the latest issue of the College's journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.

Specifically, evidence published after 1999 indicates that between 150 and 250 minutes per week of moderate intensity physical activity is effective in preventing weight gain greater than 3% in most adults but will provide "only modest" weight loss.

Greater amounts of weekly physical activity — in the order of 250 minutes or more per week — have been associated with "significant" weight loss, the ACSM notes. Overweight and obese adults will most likely lose more weight and keep it off with at least 250 minutes per week of exercise.

The ACSM also recommends strength training as part of a health and fitness regimen. "Resistance training does not enhance weight loss but may increase fat-free mass and increase loss of fat mass and is associated with reductions in health risk," the writing committee notes.

Dieting combined with increased physical activity will increase weight loss as compared to dieting alone.
Susan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Luke

I agree that more time doing cardio will make the whole process, but sometimes, especially with younger people, 50 minutes or more a day or exercise is too much. And then there are the people who either have some problems which physically prevent them from doing it or the amount of time is simply overwhelming and they give up before they have finished half of it.

30 minutes isn't a lot compared to 50 minutes, but it is a lot regardless. I do agree that 30 minutes of cardio doesn't do all that much all that fast, but it's easier to keep it consistent hence it providers better progress on a long term basis.

And then you have what kind of cardio you're doing. 30 minutes of riding a stationary bike with little resistance is nothing compared of jogging for 30 minutes. The article doesn't specify what kind of exercise. 30 minutes of jogging, especially at medium to high intensity, is a lot and will drop weight fast enough for most to be pleased.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Susan4
4ster

Seems like way back in the mists of time I read that you don't really get past burning gylcogen out of your muscles and into burning fat for fuel until *after* 30 minutes on average so 40 minutes would at least get you ten of fat burning, 50 gets ya 20 etc.
Susan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
lilly
Senior Level 6

A lot of women out there burning fat today, though it was too cold for me. I did walk along the river this morning. Man out on a white horse, the horse was working up a sweat galloping. Tai chi this afternoon. Chair exercise tomorrow for an hour, and the pool, nia and jin shin jytsu later in the week.

Looking for the weather to be more springlike, keep a hyacynth next to the bed for its sweet frangrance and a reminder that spring will get here. Maybe a bit late, but it will arrive.

Read today that drinking liquor puts a woman 20% more at risk for breast cancer. And I was thinking of taking up wine drinking. Will stick to sparkling grape cider and Resveratal tablets.
lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan4 View Post
Seems like way back in the mists of time I read that you don't really get past burning gylcogen out of your muscles and into burning fat for fuel until *after* 30 minutes on average so 40 minutes would at least get you ten of fat burning, 50 gets ya 20 etc.
Really I think it depends more on the condition of the body and how aggressive the exercise is rather than the amount of time.

I've never been a big fan of very long exercise sessions, so I always stuck to shot but aggressive workouts that make you work very hard. Me going from being 20lbs+ overweight with a body fat percentage of >15 to a healthy weight with a body fat percentage of <10 means something is happening. I might not have been doing cardio for 40+ minutes but fat was still being burned.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cuts, exercise, minutes