Go Back   This Blue Marble, a Global Current Events Discussion Forum > Our Homestead > Crafts

Crafts If you are involved in any craft activity, tell us about it here! Show off your talents, and guide others who would like to learn.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

Default Any Floridians out there?

I am contemplating craziness... Maybe not this yr but next ...

How is the FL state fair in Tampa?

its in Feb... and finding a good show in Feb in my area is near to impossible so I must look south which will Piss the hubby off cause it means possibly being gone for 2 weeks...

BUT if there is enough $ there to warrant the hotel, gas, food it may be worth it...

ideally I need a population with KIDS preferably girl kids LOL that are willing to spend $3-20 on the kids hair...

sigh... Im outta my comfort zone looking this far afield...
Old 12-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,033 Times in 4,410 Posts
Unless you know someone with personal experience who says it is good, I would not bother. My impression is, lots of people, very little spending. 1) Lots of schools bring the kids to the fair as a field trip. So they go with their class to see the animals and exhibits, not with their parents to shop. 2) The area has been SLAMMED in the recession. 3) It is a carnival, with food vendors and rides competing for your money. TONS of teens/young adults with ride passes, and the outside areas are jammed with people. The buildings with vendors selling crafts were easy to navigate. I went last year and spoke to one of the vendors who said sales were nothing like former years. She was selling at huge discount on the last day. Considering the expenses involved I would really get some info from people who were there selling similar products.

Have you looked into the Mt Dora craft fair? The people who go there DO spend. They go TO spend, not to ride carny rides or eat corndogs, no admission to the fair, and it is MOBBED with people. I do not think it is a week long.. more likely 2-3 days. http://www.mountdoracraftfair.com/

Have you checked Sunshine Artists for reviews? They have a forum that may be helpful. http://www.sunshineartist.com/
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

I LOVE SUNSHINE ARTIST!

I was researching different shows in FEB and thats one that came up...

Im going to look into the mt dora one do some research there... see what else is in the area/region

everyone is being hit with the recession... so many shows are spotty... what was good one yr has been crap the next and what was crap has been good... no true way to tell lately... its driving everyone a little batty

my last 3 show have been utter stinkers... and EVERYONE I have talked to have been done in sales anywhere from a few hundred to over $1000 form previous years...
Old 12-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
kaneohegirl
I LOVE Fairys too

wow... I just looked at the map...

... its much like our Santa Cali Gon show here in MO they take over several city blocks....

the red star is my spot...

oooooo and MT Dora is not far from Orlando... that could work into a working vacation like I have been wanting to do....

now then when does Legoland Open... hehehehe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saNTACALIGON.jpg (60.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 12-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
flourbug
Don't wrestle with a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.

Thanked 10,033 Times in 4,410 Posts
Yeah, it is great... I go every year. They also have an art fair that is just as fabulous.

Mt Dora is a neat town. It's old (which is very unusual for Florida) with lots of boutiques, antique stores, etc. In fact if you like antiques Renninger's is in the same town. http://www.renningers.com/

You can definitely do the Mt Dora fair then head over to Orlando for the parks.
flourbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
andy
Senior Level 5

Thanked 1,172 Times in 625 Posts
There are lots, and lots of craft fairs in North Florida. My Wife and I go to lots of them over the decades. The Blue Crab Festival was the best for years but is going down a bit. There is one in Mcintosh that is very cool and large.

Look here: http://www.alotofcraftshows.com/flor...aft_shows.html
And here: http://goflorida.about.com/cs/events..._festivals.htm
And here: http://friendsofmcintosh.org/

Personally, I like the Zuchini Festival near Nenans Lake in April because of the food. It is extreamly small - but I have lots of good memories of it

I just got back from the peanut festival in Williston Florida.

Tags
floridians